HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Brutal Telling: A Chief Inspector…

The Brutal Telling: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (original 2009; edition 2017)

by Louise Penny (Author)

A stranger is found murdered in the village bistro and antiques store and all clues point to bistro owner Olivier being the killer. Once again, Chief Inspector Gamache and his team are called in to strip back layers of lies, exposing both treasures and rancid secrets long buried--but not forgotten.
Member:eaconfalone
Title:The Brutal Telling: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel
Authors:Louise Penny (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2017), Edition: Reprint, 400 pages

Work Information

The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny (2009)

English (260)  French (1)  All languages (260)
The series gets a little darker in this book. There's still humor and compassion, but much more pain and upheaval than in the prior novels. Greed, homophobia, betrayal, cruelty. Penny isn't afraid to stir things up in the universe she's created and the result is a stunning entry in the Gamache series. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the series! ( )
  Chris.Wolak | Oct 13, 2022 |
Another well-rounded story about the little town of Three Pines in Canada, which is a friendly town with an unusually high murder rate. As usual, it's the people that make this a great story, although the process of solving the crime makes it more compelling. How could anyone not love the famous poet, Ruth - an old woman who drinks too much, curses and insults people for no reason, and has a pet duck that she dresses in sweaters or even a raincoat? She's one of my favorites, by the way.

In this story, we and the town learn a lot about one of the two gay owners of the bistro, Olivier. He has been hiding a lot from a lot of people, and his secrets start coming out during the story. By the end, he's so deep in his hole he may never get out. I hope he will eventually, but it doesn't look good for him. ( )
  MartyFried | Oct 9, 2022 |
This installment in the Three Pines series was a good read but also frustrating in that it's conclusions feels... incomplete. Gently poking of the internet suggests the next book may provide some more closure. I hope so, cause otherwise this one would feel like a strangely hollow entry in the series. ( )
  lycomayflower | Aug 1, 2022 |
What I like about Louise Penny’s Armand Gamache series is the way she blends a touch of darkness into what are at heart cozy mysteries. But this one was especially dark, in fact, it was downright brutal. I can’t say I was satisfied with how the case turned out and have a suspicion there’s more yet to come... ( )
  wandaly | May 1, 2022 |
E Book borrowed. Good Read. What I don't like about this author is that she rambles on and he chapters are too long with very few places to stop. ( )
  MustangGuy | Apr 25, 2022 |
While constant readers may think they know all there is to know about its eccentric villagers, Penny is a great one for springing surprises.

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bania, ChrysaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chabalier, ClaireTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chabalier, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the SPCA Monteregie, and all the people who would "ring the bells of Heaven." And for Maggie, who finally gave all her heart away.
"All of them? Even the children?"
There was silence then. And in that hush lived all the things that could be worse than slaughter. (p1)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Louise Penny's book The Brutal Telling was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,923,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible