Living in the Rear View Mirror: From…

Living in the Rear View Mirror: From Substance Abuse to a Life of…

by Kim Vazquez

631,268,033 (4.13)None

Living In The Rear View Mirror is a story of one woman's determination to live a more fulfilling life. Kim is an amazing and very likable woman. I truly felt like I had found someone who actually understood me. The way Kim described herself, the events in her life and how she turned it all around was almost identical to the person I was just a few years ago and the person that I have become.

I have never liked to sit down and have a discussion about my feelings which is why you guys don't know a whole lot about me. I admitted myself into a psych ward in 2006. I felt like I had no one and nothing to live for. I didn't attempt suicide or even have feelings about killing myself. I was just in so much emotional pain that I couldn't take it. And then I stubbed my toe and for one split second all the hate I felt toward myself disappeared. That's when thoughts of hurting myself began. I wanted to die but didn't have the courage to take my own life. Finally, when I couldn't take it anymore, I asked my mom if she would drive me to the hospital, which she did. I honestly believe that checking myself in was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. Bad things happen to good people. It's a fact of life. But one thing I learned was that I didn't have to let that bad thing control my life. I learned that my thought process was totally off kilter. It all happened so slowly that it was almost as if I woke up one morning and hated life. I still struggle occasionally with rearranging my thoughts but I have faith in myself and I know that I am a fighter and I am strong and I will survive (hey, hey). Anyway, if you ever feel doomed or just need someone to talk to, I'm here. I'm the most non-judgmental person and I don't go off running my mouth. If it's not my place to say something, I won't say it. Which is why I didn't go into detail about the family issues I'm going through right now. It's not place to tell you what happened.

So anyway, about this book. If you've ever felt depressed, you should read this book. It is an amazing story of recovery and Kim lets readers know that they are not alone and the power to change is possible. It won't be easy and it won't be fun. But once you make it to the other side, you see the beauty in life that you were previously blind to.

I encourage you to meet Kim by reading her book and following her steps to emotional healing. ( )
  bridget3420 | Sep 13, 2009 |
Kim is an addict. She is addicted to alcohol, money, bad relationships, work, and prescription drugs. Living in the Rearview Mirror is Kim Vazquez's story, from the child of a negleftful alcoholic father, to troubled teen, to overworked adult. It is the story of what led to her addictions and how, with some spiritual guidance, managed to make it through rehab. Kim's story is not one that some may imagine when they think of "an addict." In this book Kim shares herself with the reader and provides a sad story with hope at the end. She shares how her spirituality helped her and continues to help her live her life again. A good read and a good look into the life of someone like someone you may know. ( )
1 vote chris227 | Jul 11, 2009 |
Overall, Kim wrote a harrowing tale of a woman who has been through a very rough life and has survived to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The voice is very conversational and intimate, one might think of friends sharing over coffee. For me it was reminiscent of a person sharing their story at a twelve step meeting. Kim holds nothing back in this book she has really dug deep with in herself to share everything. Also I believe, she tries to be as honest and fair to the other people in her life as she writes.
Threaded through out Kim personifies emotions and objects. For instance, from a young age, Anxiety and the Belittler battled it out to control her irrational mind. Vicodian actually began as a helpmate and then took control of her life. As she begins her healing she quickly, it seems, alters her entire life and becomes an empath and spiritual guide. Which seems so out of touch and just another crutch to place the pain upon. Kim does take responsibility for her actions and owns her mistakes which I commend. Although I hope that this book will be able to help those in pain to reach out for help, I walk away still skeptical, with a quizzical look furrowed into my brow. ( )
  faith42love | Jun 7, 2009 |

The demons are always after you, but you don't have to give in. "Living in the Rear View Mirror: From Substance Abuse to a Life of Substance" are the reflections of author Kim Vazquez about how she gave into to alcohol and painkillers when her life became too difficult without them. Having found a spiritual rebirth, she shares her tale hoping to help others aspire to rise above their addictions. "Living in the Rear View Mirror" is a read well worth considering for those with their own battles with demons
added by KimVazquez | editMidwest Book Review (Oct 23, 2010)

What is the consequence of allowing the pain of your past to create your life today?

Kim's compelling story is a case study in how our thoughts affect our reality. It shows how miracles happen when we embrace our own worth and become who we are meant to be.

Even though she has tried to outrun the pain all her life, in 2006, Kim, a successful businesswoman, comes face to face with her haunted past. Almost twelve years have passed since her intense emotional pain had turned into crushing migraine headaches. She now finds herself not only addicted to painkillers and alcohol, but also dealing with a mind that refuses to leave her alone. She begins to pray ... to die.

Instead of dying, Kim experiences the miracle that brings her to sobriety. She finds herself very much alive and leading the life of her dreams. It is now that she receives the answer to her lifelong question, Why did all of this happen to a nice girl like me?

Kim's story is powerful and written with courageous honesty. It takes the reader into the mind of a woman struggling to leave her past behind and find her self-worth. It's through recovery that Kim finds spirituality and begins to walk the path into a life better than she'd ever imagined she could live.

This book is an inspirational must-read for anyone seeking to enrich the quality of his or her life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,534,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible