Loving Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan

Loving Mr. Darcy

by Sharon Lathan

This saga takes place after Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy from Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice are happily wed. The story immerses you in the manners, customs, and activities of Regency England. In the setting details, the author has exquisite mastery. But the plot lacks impetus, as at every opportunity, Jane and Darcy are making love. Their relationship lacks the snappy repartee and sparks of the original story. Thus this reader found it tedious to make it through the text. The endless mundane details and long expository passages made me skim past much of the story. If you truly love this era, then this book is the one for you. If you’re looking for a fast-paced, more exciting read, look to the traditional romance genre. ( )
  NancyJCohen | Jan 5, 2014 |
Being a fan of Pride and Prejudice by Jane and Austen and not a fan of Zombies, I have found that there are numerous authors who have taken Austen's characters and continued their story. This book is the second in the Darcy Saga by Sharon Lathan. I read the first and this faithfully follows upon that story. (I would suggest reading them in order).

This portion of Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy's story starts about 6 months after their marriage and involves their first trip to London as well as introducing and expanding on family members from the other books. It's interesting to see the character development of minor characters along with learning more about the Darcy Family history.

I will grant that Darcy and Elizabeth are not exactly the same characters that Austen wrote in P&P but then all characters have to evolve in some manner, and they grow in a pleasant direction for P&P fans. ( )
  cyderry | Sep 20, 2010 |
Fans of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice will fall in love with LOVING MR. DARCY: JOURNEYS BEYOND PEMBERLEY by Sharon Lathan. Lizzy and Darcy’s story continues in this book and give us a nice glimpse of what happens when you mix spunky Lizzy with the more serious Darcy. I found Lathan’s interpretation to be romantic, captivating and largely entertaining. This is a book that I would definitely recommend to any lovers of Romance, Historical or otherwise.

Ever wondered what happened after Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy were married? I always figured that the story just ended there but Lathan has allowed us to delve back in to that world of romance and intrigue to explore the relationships a little further.

LOVING MR. DARCY takes us through the lives of Elizabeth and Darcy as they move to their London home and experiences the joys and less than stellar aspects of the city. A major change going on with Elizabeth creates drama in the story as does meeting new people and catching up with old friends. I will warn readers, this is the second book in a series after Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy and while the book is okay to read on its own, I don’t know that I would call it a stand-alone. Events took place in the first book that largely shape the characters in LOVING MR. DARCY and having not read the first book, I found myself often confused.

With Lathan’s books, there is a lot of talk about whether or not Jane Austen purists will fall in love with Lathan’s characters as much as they did Austen’s. Well, Lathan is not Austen. They are two separate individual writers and as such their characters differ slightly. Elizabeth and Darcy are not the exact same characters as the Elizabeth and Darcy in Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, but the story was entertaining nonetheless.

Lathan does a wonderful job of imbuing the story with emotion. As we journey with Mr. and Mrs. Darcy on the road to discovering the depth of their love, Lathan makes every moment count. Whether it’s happiness, sadness or even at times a bit of anger, the emotions are vivid and pop off the page to affect the reader. This really helped to draw me in and hook me. The intensity of the actions sequences didn’t hurt either.

Fair warning time: This is a modern interpretation of Austen’s work and as such contains adult themes and adult scenes. I would give it a sensuality rating of 3.5.

I found LOVING MR. DARCY to be an enjoyable read. If you go into the story with the understanding that you are not going to get a book written by Austen and that the characters may differ slightly, I think the you’ll get a decent amount of enjoyment yourself. The story is great in its own right and would be a fantastic read for any out there who love Romance. ( )
  cinnleigh | Mar 31, 2010 |
too much detail and "lovingly sweet" ( )
  lou1017 | Feb 8, 2010 |
Similar in tone to the first book (obviously), but also a deepening and changing of the relationship between newly married Darcys. My anxiety now is more over the fact that the third book isn't out!!! I really love Lathan's style of writing, and enduring love that she demonstrates between these two iconic characters. So as not to reveal anything about the story, I will say that it picks up where book one left off, with Darcy and Elizabeth not yet married a year, and in love as ever. I especially loved Elizabeth's birthday! ( )
  mjmbecky | Oct 4, 2009 |

Is a (non-series) sequel to

Darcy and Lizzy venture away from Pemberley to journey through England, finding friends, relatives, fun, love, and an even deeper and more sacred bond along the way.

Sharon Lathan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,531,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible