Ox-Tales Fire by Mark Ellingham

Ox-Tales Fire

by Mark Ellingham (Editor), Peter Florence (Editor)

Other authors: John Le Carre (Contributor), Geoff Dyer (Contributor), Sebastian Faulks (Contributor), Xiaoulu Guo (Contributor), Mark Haddon (Contributor)6 more, Victoria Hislop (Contributor), Vikram Seth (Contributor), Lionel Shriver (Contributor), Ali Smith (Contributor), William Sutcliffe (Contributor), Jeanette Winterson (Contributor)

Series: Ox-Tales

**** (4) stars to Vikram Seth and Mark Haddon. I liked the poem Fire by Vikram Seth so much I am learning it by heart and I loved the long short story by Mark Haddon - don't read about it - just read it with no preconceptions.
I had to look up the prawn jumbalaya in Vikram seth's poem and I shall have it for tea tomorrow. My only grumble is that once again Mark Haddon's biography makes no mention of his delightful 'Agent Z' books.
The others get a variety between ** (2) and *** (3). ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
I didn't like this part of the Ox-tales series as much as the others I've read. There were a couple of really good stories in there, notably "Into the world" by Xiaolu Go, "Last" by Ali Smith (I really liked that one) and "Dog Days" by Jeanette Winterson. The piece by John le Carré about "The King who never spoke" was also well worth reading.

What bugged me about this collection was that there were three excerpts from novels (in progress or just not published) which couldn't really pass as stand-alones. There were novel excerpts in the other Ox-tales volumes, but they still felt as if you were getting a story, albeit a very open-ended one - but then many short stories are open-ended. With this volume, it just felt like a preview, the kind you get at the end of novels to get you interested in the author's *next* novel. I was a bit disappointed by that. The stories didn't seem to be tied together very well by the "Fire" motto either (or maybe I just missed it because I was grumbling about the excerpt thing).

I don't regret reading the collection, but I wasn't as satisfied as with the other volumes. ( )
  tigerbuns | Jan 10, 2014 |

Shriver, LionelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, AliContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sutcliffe, WilliamContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Winterson, JeanetteContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Summary: Ox-Tales: Fire is one of four collections featuring stories by leading British- and Irish-based writers. The authors have contributed their stories for free to raise money and awareness for Oxfam. The four elements provide a framework for the stories and highlight the key areas of Oxfam's work: water projects (WATER), aid for conflict areas (FIRE), agricultural development (EARTH), and action on climate change (AIR). An afterword, at the end of each book, explains how Oxfam makes a difference.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,931,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible