The Dragon's Pearl by Devin Jordan

The Dragon's Pearl

by Devin Jordan

162615,960 (4)None

This book is a great summer read, boys and girls will both enjoy the action. I didn't not want the book to end, and I am hoping for a sequel! ( )
  JulieGrice | Jun 17, 2010 |
Reason for Reading: An historical fantasy featuring Marco Polo is an ideal theme to tickle my fancy.

Comments: 16yo Marco Polo's father, Niccolo, has been kidnapped on his last exploration and through a rather round about way Marco, along with his best friend Amelio (son of the family servant), journey to Constantinople, where they will start a rescue mission. Traveling across Asia, through the desert, into the Unknown Lands where Marco is being followed by the minions of a sorcerer who has harnessed so much evil power that he may no longer be human. These are then the early unrecorded adventures of Marco Polo.

This was a riveting read and caught me from the first chapter. Very well written, the language and dialogue flow naturally and I often enjoyed scenes simply because of the writing. Impressive for a first novel. Sometimes books create pictures in your mind as you read, and for me this was such a one. Best described as an Indiana Jones-type plot we have adventure after adventure all over the Asian continent, from small market towns to travel across the burning desert to the courts of Kublai Khan. Swordplay abounds wherever they are. Throw in the magical element of the East, sorcerers, the reverence of dragons, the elementals, and we have a plot that doesn't stop. I really enjoyed the mixture of historical content, the Asian aspects with the fantasy elements.

With the book being plot driven this does cause characterization to suffer. Most characters are not fully realized except for Marco, whom I felt had a well developed character. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the other characters but just wanted to know more about them and care for them more. While the book is wrapped up nicely and seems to be a stand-alone, there is a feel to it that this may be the first in a series. Amazon seems to think is labeling it as "The Adventures of Marco Polo" but I can find no official information. Guess, we'll just have to wait and see! If another book does come out, will I read it? You betcha! ( )
1 vote ElizaJane | Aug 12, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 141696410X, Hardcover)

When Niccolo Polo vanishes on an expedition to Asia and his family writes him off as dead, sixteen-year-old Marco knows that it’s up to him to rescue his father. He sets out on a dangerous journey—but it is not the adventure he bargained for. Marco comes face to face with the magical Eastern world we know from mythology and legend, complete with dragons, flying carpets, and genies. And it is here that Marco finds himself caught in a dangerous plot in the court of Kublai Khan while trying to discover the mystical secret of the fabled dragon’s pearl.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:52 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Marco Polo, with his best friend Amelio, sets out from Venice, Italy, in 1300 to rescue his father from weird creatures of the Unknown Lands of the East, who are commanded by one whose sinister plans threaten the entire Earth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,529,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible