Roses by Leila Meacham

Roses (2010)

by Leila Meacham

Series: Toliver Family Saga (1)

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (julierenee13)
    The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough (miriamparker)
    miriamparker: ROSES, like THE THORNBIRDS, is an epic family saga that you won't be able to put down.

English (35)  Dutch (1)  All languages (36)
Let me preface this by saying that I had never read a historical novel before. Not ever. All the required reading in high school was passed up by me. I was never interested in historical books as I thought them to be boring. Roses may have opened me up to an entire new genre. I picked this book up at the library on a whim. It was meant to offset my checking out of crime books. The cover captivated me with its use of rose petals surrounding the title and a rather elegant font. There is a quote on the cover comparing it to Gone with the Wind. It just so happens that I am obsessed with Gone with the Wind. I was sold hook, line, and sinker.

Characters: Mary Toliver
Miles Toliver
Rachel Toliver
Amos Hines
Percy Warwick
Ollie DuMont
Matthew Warwick

The novel starts off with an elderly Mary Toliver delivering Amos Hines revisions to her will. Right off the bat with disagreements being mentioned about the revisions, you know that there is going to be drama. It is vague as to what the revisions are. Mary holds some stipulations about her decision but concludes that it is for the best. However, she wishes to tell her great-niece about the history prior to her death. Before she can do that, Mary is lead down a path of memories and heartache.
The relationship between the characters is fluid and runs smoothly. With all the consequences of Mary’s decisions, you can feel the anguish each of the characters go through. I developed a strong connection for each of them, especially Percy. He makes some rough choices of his own that make you want to grab him and shake some sense into him. Oh gosh, Percy and his love for Mary. That was something else.

I feared for Rachel and how the will would affect her life. As I saw it unfold, I wanted to take her in my arms and shake some sense into her. I know why she felt the way she did and don’t blame her for it. Just the way Rachel went about it was very frustrating. Then again, she is related to Mary. Tolivers and stubbornness go hand in hand.

Location: Howbutker, Texas (various time periods)

Even though the years changed, the location remained the same. The way it was described in the book, I had a clear vision of what I believed the town to look like. I transported myself there a few times whilst reading it. Coming from a Texas town myself, I found the location to be highly realistic. The characters also meshed well with the location ( )
  Violetskies | Sep 26, 2018 |
9/27/11:
Just couldn't hang with this one.
7/18/13: I picked up the book - let's trying READING rather than LISTENING to this one this time. :)
7/29/13: i...can't....put...this...down! ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
This was a fun summer read. Nothing too challenging, just a good soapy story that spans several generations. There are plenty of secrets and their consequences, and a strong female protagonist. I have seen some reviews complaining that this book is not as good as "Gone With the Wind" but I didn't expect it to be. ( )
  400mom | Nov 23, 2016 |
A sprawling Texas family saga reminiscent of “Gone with the Wind.”
  mcmlsbookbutler | Sep 19, 2016 |
Basically a historical romance bases in East Texas and in the Sabine River area. I enjoyed the book, but felt the curse was weird and needed more explanation. Good ending, but lots of tragedies. Covers a lot of time and many generations, so story line effected by two world wars, depression, Korea, etc., but only as these events effected the main families of a small towning. Recommended if you like historical romanc3s.
  Gmomaj | Aug 28, 2016 |
Quando Mary Toliver, ricca proprietaria terriera, decide di cambiare il testamento e di escludere la giovane nipote dalla successione alla grande proprietà su cui i Toliver hanno fondato la loro fortuna, sono in molti a stupirsi. Eppure non si tratta del capriccio di una vecchia signora. Mary vuole proteggere la nipote da quella che ritiene una sorta di maledizione legata a Somerset, il loro feudo, che, se da una parte ha reso i Toliver ricchi, dall’altra parte li ha privati della felicità. Mary lo sa, l’ha vissuto sulla sua pelle, e il segreto che nasconde ha radici profonde nel passato. Aveva solo sedici anni quando il padre, morendo, l’aveva nominata unica proprietaria di Somerset e lei, nonostante fosse così giovane, aveva dedicato a quella terra tutte le sue energie. Ma la decisione aveva distrutto la famiglia, sua madre e suo fratello non le avevano mai perdonato di essere la prescelta ed entrambi erano scivolati lungo una china di autodistruzione. Poi c’era stato l’amore. Un amore appassionato e ricambiato per il giovane Percy Warwick, la cui famiglia era da sempre amica dei Toliver, interrotto solo dall’esplodere della prima guerra mondiale. Ma quando Percy era tornato e le aveva chiesto di sposarlo, purché rinunciasse a Somerset, lei non se l’era sentita di tradire la promessa fatta al padre e così la sua vita aveva preso una piega diversa. Ma ora, passati gli anni, ciò che decide lascerà un segno indelebile nella vita di chi le sta attorno. Una storia di conflitti e di passioni, che ci travolge e non si fa dimenticare.
added by serendipity74 | editFeltrinelli

Jansson, Katarinasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verbeek, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wil Immink DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Janice Jenning Thomson... een vriendin door dik en dun
Howbutker, Texas, augustus 1985 - Amos Hines zat achter zijn bureau en sloeg het laatstte blad om van de uit twee pagina's bestaande akte die hem gevraagd was te lezen.
En dit voorzie ik: de ruzie van heden In de tempeltuin tot deez' breuk gegroeid, Zal onder de rozen wit en rood, Menigeen leiden tot duist're nacht en dood. - Graaf van Warwick in Henry VI, Part 1 van William Shakespeare, tweede bedrijf, scène 4
Maar uit teveel, niet uit tekort bied ik mijn liefde aan als een meisje van tien - ik zie me daar nog staan, zoals ik een boordevolle schort omhooghou: 'Kijk wat ik heb en allemaal voor jou!' - Edna St. Vincent Millay; vertaling van Herman de Coninck (overgenomen uit De Gedichten - 1998)

Spanning the 20th century, the story of Roses takes place in a small East Texas town against the backdrop of the powerful timber and cotton industries, industries controlled by the scions of the town's founding families. Cotton tycoon Mary Toliver and timber magnate Percy Warwick should have married but unwisely did not, and now must deal with the deceit, secrets, and tragedies of their choice and the loss of what might have been--not just for themselves but for their children, and children's children. With expert, unabashed, big-canvas storytelling, Roses covers a hundred years, three generations of Texans and the explosive combination of passion for work and longing for love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:38 -0400)

"Spanning the 20th century, the story of Roses takes place in a small East Texas town against the backdrop of the powerful timber and cotton industries, industries controlled by the scions of the town's founding families"--Provided by publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,848,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible