Saint John of the Five Boroughs by Edward…

Saint John of the Five Boroughs

by Edward Falco

193537,190 (3.63)None

I enjoyed this book and I agree that if had a movie feel to it. For that reason, I had trouble giving it more than a 3.5. I thought that the ending tied up too neatly. Yes, we are not sure where Grant and Avery will go but..... I also wanted more resolution about what happened with Grant, Billy, and Albert. I thought that Grant was treated too lightly given his past. Hard for me to believe that Avery's mom etc. would be okay with her getting involved with someone with Grant's background and their age difference. I may read another Falco book because it was entertaining but it will be after quite a few other authors. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Jun 1, 2010 |
Reviewers have rightfully stressed the seamless writing, the well crafted world building, and the book's quick cinematic pace. On the one hand, the book reads like a well crafted indy film. Edward Falco creates unorthodox characters that are painfully real in their motivations and logic, which is part of the book's appeal.

On the other hand, I found the unorthodox and real characters to be too "real" at certain points. I could easily picture Lindsay's response to her brother's deployment and her demand that their family relocate to New York City, but just as I could readily imagine Lindsay, I found her to be flighty and annoying.

While I might not have enjoyed Saint John of the Five Boroughs as much as many of the other reviewers, it was just not my thing. Other readers will surely appreciate the clearsightedness with which Edward Falco creates his characters.

Publisher: Unbridled Books; 1st edition (October 20, 2009), 424 pages.
Review copy provided by the publisher and Unbridled Book Tours. ( )
  gaby317 | Oct 25, 2009 |
Avery and Grant meet and the sparks fly. Avery has just finished college and is making the move to Brooklyn where she will live with Grant. Avery's loving family make the trip to Brooklyn to talk some sense into her. The lives of everyone involved will never, ever be the same.

Drugs, sex and violence are very much a part of this book. Life is a struggle and we become who we are because of the things we experience. This is a story that rings true to life. A startlingly beautiful novel. ( )
  bridget3420 | Oct 19, 2009 |

When 22-year-old Avery Walker, a senior at Penn State, meets Grant Danko, a 37-year-old performance artist from Brooklyn whose stage name is Saint John of the Five Boroughs, her life changes radically as she leaves college to live with Grant in Brooklyn and pursue a life as an artist. Worried about Avery, her mother, Kate, and her aunt, Lindsey, and Lindsey's husband, Hank, travel to Brooklyn, where they all face a crisis of their own and make life-altering choices. Grant is an angry guy with a curiously attractive personality and a coterie of bright, artistic friends. He's used his good looks.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,937,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible