30-Second Theories: The 50 Most Thought-Provoking Theories in Science,… (2010)

by Paul Parsons, blackmoresusan

Other authors: Martin Rees (Foreword)

It challenges a half-century of leading boffins to abandon their beloved jargon and explain the most complex theories in half a minute – using nothing more than two pages, 300 words, one flow chart, and a picture. Time might well be relative, but it’s also precious in a world that seems to spin ever faster, and here, in one unique volume, you have the opportunity to pick the potted brains of our leading scientists and understand the key notes of our harmonious universe in less time than it takes to scratch your head.… (more)

More thought provoking and mind expanding stuff. I learn new things and increas my faith and awe with each of these 30 second books! ( )
  Eddie_Long | Nov 2, 2020 |
A very intriguing reference to "the 50 most thought-provoking theories in Science." Containing a series of brief synopses of some very interesting and indeed thought-provoking theories from the more well known Theory of Relativity, Laws of Motion, and Global Warming; to the lesser known (at least to me) Out of Africa theory, Gaia theory, and the Small World hypothesis (which is now a study I wish to be a part of).

This book is an excellent reference for some pretty big ideas that can be delved into with more depth for those interested. There is even a list of resources including books, magazines/articles, and websites the reader can visit for more information.

Definitely worth it for the armchair scientist. ( )
1 vote regularguy5mb | Feb 8, 2014 |
Format designed to be dipped into, with each page giving a very brief overview of a section within a section. Lots of fun graphics, little snippets of interest, and on the whole the items were well written and highly accessible - especially the first one by Michael Brooks. But for some of the articles, I thought it was just too brief to give you any flavour at all of what was written, and I was left frustrated. Perhaps this format would work better focusing on a tighter field than all scientific theories? ( )
  RachDan | Mar 3, 2013 |

McGuire, BillAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ridley, MarkAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suhm, ChristianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Voici enfin un livre de vulgarisation intelligente qui vous aidera à comprendre les 50 théories mathématiques les plus importantes . Il met les plus grands mathématiciens au défi d'expliques de façon claire er accessible les théories les plus complexes en 30 secondes , 2 pages , 300 mots , 1 image : soit 3 minutes en tout pour comprendre ! L'amour des maths n'est pas inné, mais il peut s'acquérir : ce livre vous le prouvera par A+B.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,588,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible