Pedro Páramo (1955)

by Juan Rulfo

2,785674,185 (4)112
As one enters Juan Rulfo's legendary novel, one follows a dusty road to a town of death.Time shifts from one consciousness to another in a hypnotic flow of dreams, desires, and memories, a world of ghosts dominated by the figure of Pedro P'ramo - lover, overlord, murderer. Rulfo's extraordinary mix of sensory images, violent passions and unfathomable mysteries has been a profound influence on a whole generation of Latin American writers including Carlos Fuentes, Mario Vargas Llosa and Gabriel Garcia Marquez. To read Pedro P'ramo today is as overwhelming an experience as when it was first published in Mexico nearly fifty years ago.… (more)

English (53)  Spanish (10)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (67)
It took me a long time to read this short book because I frequently had to go back and re-read certain passages to understand what was happening. I'm glad I put in the effort, but I'm also happy to move on. ( )
  SarahMac314 | Aug 12, 2022 |
Has its moments but the spliced narrative and surreal sequences actively confuse and wear out the reader. A book this short shouldn't be a slog. ( )
  albertgoldfain | Jul 14, 2022 |
Tan bueno como decían. ( )
  Alvaritogn | Jul 1, 2022 |
The story started out straight-forward enough: Following his mother's death the narrator travels to his mother's native Mexican village to meet the father he never knew. Along the way he encounters and interacts with a number of townsfolk who he begins to suspect may not actually be alive. That's about as far as I was able to follow the story — after that it felt like merely a series of individual characters entering the narrative just long enough to have a conversation or two about their past or the Páramo family, and then exiting, never to be heard from again. And I think most of them were ghosts? I'll be honest, I couldn't make heads or tails of 90% of the book. Magical realism is probably my least favorite literary style. The storyline is not linear, which added to the challenge — heck, the characters are not even on the same plane of existence. I selected this title to fulfill the Read Harder category "a horror novel by a BIPOC author," so I wish I had paid more attention to the description. I couldn't be finished fast enough. ( )
  ryner | Jun 27, 2022 |

Peden, Margaret SayersTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabarte Belacortu, MarioleinContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sontag, SusanForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tzenkova, EmiliyaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I came to Comala because I had been told that my father, a man named Pedro Páramo, lived there.
Vine a Comala porque me dijeron que acá vivía mi padre, un tal Pedro Páramo.
Chaque soupir est un souffle de vie dont on se défait.
Moi, je ne crois qu'à l'enfer

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,876,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible