Les Égouts de Los Angeles by Michael…

Les Égouts de Los Angeles (original 1992; edition 2014)

by Michael Connelly (Author)

Member:lcottereau
Title:Les Égouts de Los Angeles
Authors:Michael Connelly (Author)
Info:Le Livre de Poche (2014), 576 pages
Collections:Your digital library

The Black Echo by Michael Connelly (1992)

The Lion by Nelson DeMille (Scottneumann)
    Night Dogs by Kent Anderson (Littlemissbashful)
    Littlemissbashful: Both feature ex Vietnam vets turned cop and corrupt police departments. The demons are the same but the response is different.
    Miss Pym Disposes by Josephine Tey (raizel)
    raizel: slight spoiler: both books have someone trying to do what is just and not succeeding

English (97)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All (103)
Not as good as I thought it would be I must admit. This is the first Michael Connolly book I have read and although I like Harry Bosch, the story was not overly interesting. Somewhere in the middle my interest declined a bit and it was by sheer force I managed to continue reading. Luckily the ending was really good and left me with the interest to read the rest of the books. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
This is the first of the Bosch series so I'll cut it some slack. The beginning was slow but that is natural as we are being introduced to a new Character/new series so there is a lot of "housekeeping details" to take care of. The bulk of the book is excellent, Harry Bosch is very much a lone wolf but is partnered up with a FBI agent to solve a bank heist involving tunneling through the floor of a vault.

No details here to spoil the story but it is developed logically with several red herring to lead you astray. I like getting into the head of the main character, rather than a he-did-this / he-did- that kind of story.

Until the last 30 pages I was ready to give it at least a 4 star rating. But the story dies a Bugs Bunny death. It is very anti-climatic at that point and sort of boring to me as Connelly ties up every loose end and provides a final twist to the story.

That I did not enjoy as much and dropped my evaluation a 0.5 stars.

But overall I liked the book and will look forward to finding the next in the series. ( )
  Lynxear | Apr 10, 2017 |
A police detective finds that his Vietnam war experience as a “tunnel rat” helps him in finding some bank robbers in this thriller, the first in a popular series.

This mystery series chronicles LAPD Detective Harry Bosch and has been made into an Amazon Prime series. His most recent book, “The Wrong Side of Goodbye” is number 21 and has been on the best seller list. This is an e-book, but is also available in hardback, and audio.

The first book in his LAPD Detective Hieronymus "Harry" Bosch series. Bosch is called to a murder scene that takes a mysterious turn when the corpse turns out to be someone
Bosch knew from his Vietnam service years ago. 1993 Winner of the Mystery Writers of America Award for Best First Novel.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Dec 30, 2016 |
The Black Echo
4 Stars

LAPD Detective Harry Bosch is called out to a routine OD death that turns into anything but routine when the corpse not only turns out to be the victim of a homicide, but someone Bosch knew from his days as a Tunnel Rat in Vietnam. As Bosch slowly unravels the details behind the murder, he rubs a few people the wrong way - the FBI, Internal Affairs and the cops he works with. But nothing will stop Harry from getting to the truth …

A good police procedural with an interesting story and a likable protagonist. The ending is a bit too drawn out and the book could have been tighter with 50 fewer pages.

Harry Bosch is an honest cop and an excellent detective. Unfortunately, this is exactly what gets him into trouble with the powers that be. He doesn’t play games, is no good at politics and cares more about the victims and justice than making the department look good.

The mystery is well-developed with a plausible explanation although there are a great deal of terminology and abbreviations that should have been explained. Moreover, the final twist when it comes is predictable.

The writing and the character are both compelling enough to continue with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This review is from: The Black Echo (Kindle Edition)
This was a great first novel for Michael Connolly. I loved the story, albeit that I am not that much into the crime drama genre. It was especially plotted well, with a nice twist at the end, even though I saw it coming. But I must say one thing, this version is full of mistakes. The original version of the story was only in either hardback or paperback, so I'm assuming that someone else transcribed it into this e-book version. (Typos). All I can say is that the editors should have looked more closely, and caught all these mistakes. But, knowing that, I did not rated any differently then if the mistakes were not there.

Michael Connolly has done a fine job here, and I will check out the rest of the series. I am also particularly interested in seeing the pilot for this character on Amazon. ( )
  Deankut | Sep 26, 2016 |
Big, brooding debut police thriller by Los Angeles Times crime-reporter Connelly, whose labyrinthine tale of a cop tracking vicious bank-robbers sparks and smolders but never quite catches fire. Swift and sure, with sharp characterizations, but at heart really a tightly wrapped package of cop-thriller cliches, from the hero's Dirty Harry persona to the venal brass, the mad-dog IAD cops, and the not-so-surprising villains. Still, Connelly knows his turf and perhaps he'll map it more freshly next time out.
added by Roycrofter | editKirkus Reviews (Nov 1, 1991)

Harry Bosch, detective de la policía de Los Ángeles quedó marcado por la dura experiencia de Vietnam. Ahora, un caso le devuelve su pasado. La víctima, Billy Meadows, había servido en su misma unidad. Ambos eran ratas de túnel que combatían en la red de pasajes subterráneos del Viet Cong; ambos experimentaron el terror del eco negro: la reverberación en las tinieblas de su propio pánico. Ahora Meadows está muerto. Pero su rastro parece apuntar a un gran atraco bancario perpetrado a través de túneles de alcantarillado.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pasetti, Maria ClaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for W. Michael Connelly and Mary McEvoy Connelly
The boy couldn't see in the dark, but he didn't need to.

LAPD detective Harry Bosch is a loner and a nighthawk. One Sunday he gets a call out on his pager. A body has been found in a drainage tunnel off Mulholland Drive, Hollywood. At first sight, it looks like a routine drugs overdose case, but the one new puncture wound amidst the scars of old tracks leaves Bosch unconvinced. To make matters worse, Harry Bosch recognises the victim. Billy Meadows was a fellow 'tunnel rat' in Vietnam, running against the VC and the fear they all used to call the Black Echo. Bosch believes he let down Billy Meadows once before, so now he is determined to bring the killer to justice

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446612731, Mass Market Paperback)

For maverick Lapd homicide detective Harry Bosch, the body in the drainpipe at Mulholland Dam is more than another anonymous statistic. This one is personal...because the murdered man was a fellow Vietnam "tunnel rat" who had fought side by side with him in a hellish underground war. Now Bosch is about to relive the horror of Nam. From a dangerous maze of blind alleys to a daring criminal heist beneath the city, his survival instincts will once again be tested to their limit. Pitted against enemies inside his own department and forced to make the agonizing choice between justice and vengeance, Bosch goes on the hunt for a killer whose true face will shock him.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:29 -0400)

The very first Harry Bosch novel, winner of the Edgar Award for Best First Novel, is available once more. A body discovered in a drainpipe on Mulholland Drive turns out to be a fellow Vietnam "tunnel rat" who had fought by the side of the maverick LAPD homicide detective. Now Bosch is about to relive the horror of 'Nam while on the hunt for a killer whose true face will shock him.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,426,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible