Faking It by Elisa Lorello

Faking It (2008)

by Elisa Lorello

"After breaking off her engagement, thirty-something writing professor Andi Cutrone abandons New England for her native Long Island to focus on her career and start over. When she meets Devin at a cocktail party, the sight of an honest-to-goodness male escort shocks her--and fascinates her more than a little. Months later, Andi impulsively calls Devin. Over cheesecake in Brooklyn, she offers him a proposition: he will teach her how to be a better lover, and in return, she will give him writing lessons. He agrees, and together they embark upon an intense partnership that proves to be as instructive as it is arousing. For in the midst of lessons in rhetorical theory and foreplay, Andi and Devin delve into deeper questions about truth, beauty, and self, gradually coming face-to-face with the issues at the core of their emotional limitations. Smart, witty, and introspective, Faking It is an engrossing novel about two people discovering their authentic selves."--… (more)

"2.5 out of 5 stars. I loved the writing! I especially loved the friendship and romance between Andi and Devin .... it's like they are so scared of falling for each other that it makes their relationship that much more special. However, I was a bit disappointed by the ending .... could have been better. *shrug*"

Read more of my review here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2010/01/i-can-give-you-all-lovin-in-wh... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
Uh, this is a little too chick lit for me. Not terrible, the setup is mildly creative (writing instruct meets male escort who seems to pleasure lots of the ladies in academia), but I think I could pretty much put this book down (I'm about 40% in) and never think about it again. So, eh, a little bit of froth, not really worth seeking out, but not a taxing read either.

Plus, I will admit it irks me that the main character is a writing professor with a Ph.D., yet the book contains phrases like "bad wrap" (instead of "bad rap") and "hone in on" (instead of "home in on"). Common or not, these aren't mistakes that ought to be made by writing instructors or people who want to write about them convincingly.

I downloaded this as a Kindle version because it was on the Kindle bestsellers list, and was only $.99. Probably worth about that much.

***

Okay, I'm finished, and while I would give the first 80% of the book about two and a half stars, I would give the last 20$ four stars. The end really pulled me in, struck me as much better written, and I'm now happy to have read the book. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Insecure young woman, a college professor, meets a male escort and works out an "in-kind" deal. She will tutor him on writing and he will teach her self-confidence and how to be at ease with herself. They sign a contract that neither will fall in love with each over the 8 weeks. They become friends and better people while Andrea attempts to move on because she can't or won't tell Devin she fallen in love with him. ( )
  Kathy89 | May 26, 2015 |
So wonderful, yet so much room for trouble

The plot was unique. The characters were multifaceted and wonderful, while exhibiting all the foibles common to people in their circumstances. The imagery was simply stunning. My favorite parts were the lessons the two give each other in the power of words and the power of sexuality. This is an amazing book. Highly recommended! ( )
  Molecular | Feb 21, 2014 |
From my blog

Another book that just came at the right time. I started to slip into a reading funk again, started 4 books and it just didn't work and then I started this one and ate it up this weekend. It was so good I am starting the sequel tonight.

Andrea meets Devin and they agree to an arrangement both believing not a true client agreement. I really loved how they helped each other. Andrea is a writing instructor and helps Devin learn how to write, understanding prose, who your audience is etc, very intriguing. Andrea asks for Devin's help on how to own her sexuality and become a better lover. The once a week sessions were entertaining to say the least, I loved the interaction and connection they had, really adding a sense of suspense throughout the book.

I loved reading about adults who find themselves, you are always growing and the unorthodox romance set this apart from the romance books you expect. Andi and Devin were strong characters but not honest with themselves and the outside world. I really enjoyed the character building in this novel and look forward to more. A beautiful complex journey with a great non typical ending.

Favourite quotes

If you are uncertain about your purpose, then your audience is ambiguous. If you are uncertain about your audience, then your writing is ambiguous. 23% on Kindle

This past year, I lived the life I always wanted, and you know what? I was still faking it. I was trying to cover up so much: my body, my sexuality, my insecurity, my fear.... 81% on Kindle ( )
  marcejewels | Jun 5, 2013 |
Prostitution is the oldest profession in the world.
Rhetoric is the second oldest.
For Ru
February
I gathered my books, pens, student essays, water bottle, coat, and purse as the students sauntered out five minutes early, leaving behind muddy sneaker-prints and lackluster enthusiasm.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,751,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible