The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi…

The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure… (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Robert M. Edsel (Author)

"The previously untold story of a little-known WWII Allied division whose mission was to track down European art and treasures that had been looted by the Nazis at Hitler's command"--Provided by the publisher.
Member:dmcgough
Title:The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History
Authors:Robert M. Edsel (Author)
Info:Center Street (2010), Edition: Illustrated, 512 pages

The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Robert M. Edsel (2009)

Guardians of the Louvre by Jirô Taniguchi (villemezbrown)
    The Struggle for Europe by Chester Wilmot (charlie68)
    charlie68: Good general historical background for the book.
    Citizen Soldiers: The U. S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany by Stephen E. Ambrose (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books cover events in Western Europe during the same time frame in World War II.

English (81)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (83)
Well-researched and -written book with some interesting stories. This may be of limited interest if you're not into both WWII history and art. ( )
  helenar238 | Oct 31, 2020 |
I read this book as an audiobook from the county library. It took me fourteen hours. This is a very interesting account of the Allied military efforts to find and save the artwork stolen and hidden away by the Germans during World War II. These military men were part of the Civil Affairs operations of the war. Because I served an eighteen month tour of duty in the 3rd Civil Affairs Detachment in the Canal Zone in the mid 1960s I was particularly interested in this role that Civil Affairs played in the war. ( )
  MrDickie | Sep 23, 2020 |
A small glimpse at a facet of WW II that is largely unknown, and is unique in that the monuments men were working to preserve the cultural heritage of both the besieged and belligerent countries. Understaffed, with scant support, and nowadays largely unknown, they worked to preserve the art treasures that Hitler and his associates were looting from all countries under their control, including Germany. ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
Only moderately connected to the movie. It’s got more depth, for one thing, and only a bit of humour. Very interesting, though, especially in the parts about politics and close calls and everyone’s personal history. So, uh, most of it. The writing’s average—I’ve read better history and I’ve read worse—but that doesn’t matter, really. It doesn’t need to be beautiful to educate and interest. I thought it was especially cool that Edsel included not only the requisite pictures, but also documents from Allies and Germans that related to the story. I definitely learned things, which is always good.

7/10 ( )
  NinjaMuse | Jul 1, 2020 |
I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked up this book, and I'm still debating about it. I found it to be a fast interesting read, although I kept getting the MFAA men mixed up. I guess I was surprised that it wasn't and actual unit of personnel, rather a very tiny group of men spread out through the vast European ware theatre attached to various Army groups. For the most part the men barely knew eachother, often working alone or in tandem. The MFAA (Monuments, Fine Arts and Archives) were a few low ranking officers and enlisted men, the majority were curators, artists and architects. Their duties were to record, save, rescue, and tract down the hundreds of thousands of European cultural pieces stolen by the Nazi ERR. In short, their job was to save the things which make up civilization and its history, Their rescues ranged from small village churches and statuary to the finding and returning the famous Ghent Altarpiece. I knew the looting and theft was wide ranging, but not to the extent of what was found (and is still being found today.) Hiding places ranged from holes in the ground, to cellars, to castles (Mad Ludwig's castle) to huge salt mines in Austria. As a retired art teacher, I found the book fascinating. I want to know more. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | May 26, 2020 |
The hunters' exploits make a fascinating read. Edsel carefully and colorfully backgrounds "The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History" with vivid accounts of the war's progress. But statements that recall films "based on a true story" may put some readers off. An author's note says he created dialogue for continuity but not on substance, and always with documentation.

Robert M. Edselprimary authorall editionscalculated
Witter, Bretsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whatever these paintings may have been to men who looked at them a generation back - today they are not only works of art. Today they are the symbols of the human spirit, and of the world the freedom of the human spirit made. . . . To accept this work today is to assert the purpose of the people of America that the freedom of the human spirit and human mind which has produced the world's great art and all its science - shall not be utterly destroyed.- President Franklin D. Roosevelt, dedication ceremony of the National Gallery of Art, March 17, 1941
It used to be called plundering. But today things have become more humane. In spite of that, I intend to plunder, and to do it thoroughly. - Reichsmarschall Hermann Goring, speaking to a conference of Reich Commissioners for the Occupied Territories and the Military Commanders, Berlin, August 6, 1942
To my mother Norma, aunt Marilyn, and son Diego - The memory of my father and uncle, A. Ray Edsel and Ron B. Wright, both veterans - And the Monuments Men and women, whose heroic efforts preserved so much of the beauty we enjoy today
(Author's Note) Most of us are aware that World War II was the most destructive war in history.
The city of Karlsruhe, in southwestern Germanyk, was founded in 1715 by the Margrave Karl Wilhelm von Baden-Durlach.
AS impossible as it seems, it was the duty of these eight officers to inspect and preserve every important monument the Allied forces encountered between the English Channel and Berlin.

The "Monuments Men" were a special multinational group of more than 350 men and women serving in the Monuments, Fine Arts and Archives (MFAA) section of the U.S. Military Government in Europe near the end of World War II, charged with tracking down, identifying, and recovering the millions of priceless works of art and cultural artifacts stolen by the Nazis. Robert Edsel has conducted painstaking research to make the world aware of the contributions of the Monuments Men and to ensure that these unsung heroes receive the recognition they deserve.

PREFACE EDITION:
From 1943 to 1951, 350 or so men and women from thirteen Allied nations served in the Monuments, Fine arts and Archives section (MFAA) of the Allied armed forces. This was the most ambitious effort in history to preserve the world's cultural heritage during war. These heroes of civilization were quite simply known as 'Monuments Men'.

Hachette Book Group

2 editions of this book were published by Hachette Book Group.

Editions: 1599951495, 1599951509

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,357,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible