The Golden Books Family Treasury of Poetry…

The Golden Books Family Treasury of Poetry (edition 1998)

by Louis Untermeyer (Author), Joan Walsh Anglund (Illustrator)

An illustrated collection of over 350 English and American poems, about animals, people, famous events, the seasons, and Christmas, and including nonsense verse, inspirational lines, and wisdom in rhyme.
Member:CastellumLibrandi
Title:The Golden Books Family Treasury of Poetry
Authors:Louis Untermeyer (Author)
Other authors:Joan Walsh Anglund (Illustrator)
Info:Golden Books (1998), Edition: "A" First Edition, 336 pages
Tags:Poetry, Compilation, Elementary

The Golden Treasury of Poetry by Louis Untermeyer (Editor)

NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
808.81
  OakGrove-KFA | Mar 29, 2020 |
Definitely an oldie but a goodie that one will treasure for years to come. Within this book there is a collection of such great names such as T.S. Eliot, Emily Dickinson, John Keats, Carl Sandburg and so many more that it would forever just to name a third of them. And you will find yourself reading over the poems and crying to yourself if you were raised with poetry, "I remember that one!"

The compiler did a great job of combing similar poetry together while writing a small introduction to the category and in some cases even writing a small bio for the poet or explaining some of the poem itself or even while he included it so there is some brain-food to go with the soothing poetry itself. Furthermore you have two indexes - one for first lines and one for poets - plus the lengthy Table of Contents to make yours search much easier.

So why only four stars if I thought this was such a good book?

First, of all William's Blake "Tyger" was misspelled. Most of the time I would have been able to let it slide but there were other poems with other archaic words so it didn't make sense to modernize this one and let the others go for the beauty of Blake's main poem is the fact of the spelling.

Second, some of the poets that I am interested weren't included so it isn't a heavy extension although it is a great variety to begin with.

And finally some of the drawings were a bit graphic, especially if went into looking closely at the pictures. I am not warning kids away from this book since more people should be introduced to poetry but I am going to give warning on that.

Otherwise all the perks outweigh the cons for this beautiful work.... ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 26, 2015 |
The Best Choice for a single volume of poetry for reading to children. It has many excellent illustrations that draw children into the poems. The selections are highly appealing to children, and include both well known poems and authors, and some lesser known poems and authors as well. It is organized by subject matter: a chapter of animal poems, one chapter on people, another chapter of stories in poems, one for humorous poems, and so on. Swearing and dark poetry themes are avoided, something I appreciate in a book I want to give unsupervised to my children. Whether you know a lot about poetry, know very little about poetry, or hate poetry, this is a book to read and share. It is an essential volume.
  mebrock | Nov 28, 2010 |

Untermeyer, LouisEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anglund, Joan WalshIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This edition is an abridged or edited version of The Golden Treasury of Poetry. Some poems that were deemed 'not appropriate' were removed & the title was changed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,640,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible