The Rubber Band by Rex Stout

The Rubber Band

by Rex Stout

Series: Nero Wolfe (3)

Good one! Rex Stout is great and Michael Prichard really brings him to life. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
A killing 40 years ago, an arranged escape, and a debt to the arrangers leads to Nero Wolfe. ( )
  addunn3 | Jan 21, 2013 |
One of the best Wolfes. Good fun and an actual mystery that you can figure out! ( )
  Pdore | Dec 29, 2011 |
This 3rd Nero Wolfe novel was published in 1936. It was my introduction into the writings of Rex Stout. I was mightily impressed with his powers of prose!

I found Archie's early twentieth century lingo to be at times a bit puzzling, though charming. The attitudes of Archie and Wolfe towards the shallow Clara Fox I found refreshing. You simply, in postmodern times, cannot speak truths to, of, or on women—it is forbidden, a societal blasphemy to acknowledge any flaws or differences in any gender other than the male, the Homer Simpson. .

I am glad such femi-nazism did not exist in this novel. What statements were made by Archie and Wolfe about Ms. Fox were apt and insightful observations into her true character. Postmodern society would hang Stout for creating such a realistic woman. It is not by chance that Nero Wolf is not on PBS, yet the feminine female creation that is Hercule Poirot... is. And yet, I love Poirot as well as Christie, who hated her Poirot (telling, isn't it?).

To further my point, Stout has not created a sexist stereotype with Clara Fox. Clara Fox is anything but weak. She is strong-willed, dauntless, and knows exactly what she wants. Wolfe and Archie realize that what she yearns for is shallow—to be an adventuress—to seek out the security of a man. Her methodology in this and her task to secure her father's debt owed are inept and puerile. For this reason, Wolfe, Archie, and myself find Ms. Clara Fox repulsive, though we may gaze at her flesh admiringly (I myself, can only imagine).

I suspect that the reason for Wolfe's harsh judgment to the natural characteristics inherent to women is something that I must learn of upon further reading.

As for my judgment of the character of Nero Wolfe—I find him fascinating! An eccentric homebody who has created a intimate and exclusive universe filled with books, orchids, beer, good food, good company—a fat demigod who oversees the destiny of men from on high, even able to hold the "dicks" at bay. God bless the dear Inspector Cramer.

I am most most impressed with Nero's manner of speech. Unlike the hip, slang-wielder Archie, Wolfe's language is a beautiful and complex flow of ratiocination accentuated with searing comicality. Archie is quite witty himself, in a streetwise, Dickens' Sam Weller sort of way. Quite a nice contrast of intelligence between Wolfe and sidekick Archie.

I also found Wolfe's entourage multifarious and "satisfactory" in service: Cook, Fritz Brenner; Orchid expert, Theodore Horstmann; the 3 "teers", Saul Panzer, Fred Durkin, and Orrie Cather; also, the freelance operative Johnny Keems. Wolfe's household just gives one that warm tingly feeling inside! Maybe it's the American lager!

I certainly will be reading more Rex Stout novels. Superlative! ( )
1 vote endersreads | May 16, 2010 |
One of the weaker Stout's in my opinion. The overdependence on crude stereotyping may not have been as obvious at the time as it in now, but the flimsiness of the "solution" and the dependence on everyone acting like an idiot make it hard to enjoy even if the dependence on crude (in the sense of uninformed) stereotypes is ignored. ( )
  mmyoung | Apr 26, 2010 |

Rex Stoutprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kalvas, ReijoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prichard, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I threw down the magazine section of the Sunday Times and yawned.

In all his years of detecting, the unflappable Nero Wolfe has never encountered an investigation as damnably messy as this one. For what began as a clean case of larceny quickly sank into a quagmire of blackmail and broken promises, international scandal and cold-blooded murder.

Now Wolfe and his assistant, Archie Goodwin must bridge eras and oceans to find the link between a Wild West lynching and a respected British peer. Only then can they save Wolfe's beautiful young client -- and a hotly disputed stake of a cool million dollars.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:30 -0400)

In all his years of detecting, Nero Wolfe has never encountered an investigation as damnably messy as this one. For what began as a clean case of larceny quickly sank into a quagmire of blackmail and broken promises, international scandal and cold-blooded murder. Now Wolfe and his assistant, Archie Goodwin, must bridge eras and oceans to find the link between a Wild West lynching and a respected British peer. Only then can they save Wolfe's beautiful young client--and a hotly disputed stake of a cool million dollars.… (more)

Legacy Library: Rex Stout

Rex Stout has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rex Stout's legacy profile.

See Rex Stout's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,162,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible