The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered…

The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual--and the Modern Home…

by Joan DeJean

Today it is difficult to imagine a living room without a sofa. When the first sofas on record were delivered in seventeenth-century France, the result was a radical reinvention of interior space.

Please read my blog for a review: http://notmytypee.blogspot.com/2011/10/age-of-comfort.html

I won my copy through First Reads. ( )
  Athenable | Jan 10, 2014 |
I won this book on a Giveaway and was delighted.

This book, about a subject of particular interest to me (history of decoration, lifestyles in the past, fashion of the past, etc.) amply fulfilled my expectations.

It was fascinating to learn the history of the development of bedrooms, flush toilets, and the use of cotton in clothing, to name but a few things.

This book would serve, perhaps, as more of a reference type book than just a read-it-all-at-once book; the style of writing is very understandable and detailed, but not the kind of thing that one would sit down and read straight through without having time to think about the subject. At least for me.

I knew absolutely nothing about the life in France during the time period of this book and so found it quite educational in a general way as well. Particularly interesting to me was the description of how clothing went from being miserably uncomfortable to much more relaxed and tolerable to wear; and how furniture became designed to actually be comfortable instead of merely formal.

All in all, a pleasant read and I recommend the book to anyone interested in the subjects it covers.

MissJessie | Oct 16, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an engaging and well-researched survey of the development of our modern ideas of comfort. It will be appealing to both the general reader and the historian alike. My only possible concern is that I would have loved to see even more illustrations and photographs. But that is more a reflection of how interesting I found the material than of any lack on the part of the book. ( )
  hammersen | Nov 12, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have to confess, I never in a million years would have associated the court of Louis XV with the invention of the sofa. Extremely well researched, and surprisingly detailed, this book paints a fascinating picture of a piece of furniture many of us would take for granted. ( )
  Meggo | Jun 25, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sometime in the late sixteenth century, architects and designers in Paris became increasingly interested in comfort and style. Out of this movement, came almost all of the modern versions of today's furniture--the armchair, the couch/sofa, the private bedroom, the bathroom, and even cotton clothing. Joan DeJean does an excellent job of tracking the progress of these new innovators, even including the public and social backlash each new design created. Her book is meticulously researched, but does rely heavily on the few contemporary sources that existed on the subject. It does get a bit tedious to read about sofa design for twenty or so pages, but the end result is an intriguing look at how the design of the modern home came about. A good read. ( )
  NielsenGW | Feb 13, 2011 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joan DeJean's book The Age of Comfort was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,152,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible