The Lion & the Mouse (2009)

by Jerry Pinkney

Other authors: Aesop

In this wordless retelling of an Aesop fable, an adventuresome mouse proves that even small creatures are capable of great deeds when he rescues the King of the Jungle.
    Amos & Boris by William Steig (jrzayaz)
    jrzayaz: A large creature and a small creature able to help each other when it is needed most.
    Can I Come Too? by Brian Patten (PeachtreePublishers)

Absolutely stunning art but I'm not a fan of this particular fable. That art though! ( )
  Zoes_Human | Sep 10, 2021 |
A gorgeously illustrated wordless picture book. Jerry Pinkney's characters are full of emotion as they tell the story of the Lion and the Mouse. Even the smallest creature can help. Don't overlook them in your life. Curriculum: fable/fairy tales, strength
  SCSUbooks | Jul 30, 2021 |
Since most retellings of the classic are sparse in text, a wordless version seemed quite natural; yet these engaging characters led me to make the story even fuller by providing a sense of family and setting. Living next to a nature preserve, I am fascinated with the vast medley of sounds coming from the surrounding woods, and that chorus of chatters and squeals helped shape the idea of selectively using animal sounds to enhance the story, while allowing the visuals--as well as the reader's imagination--to drive the narrative.

"The Lion and the Mouse" has never really been my favorite of Aesop's fables, but the excitement around this artwork was such that I had to check it out. It is as beautiful as you may have heard. I was a teeny bit disappointed that it is not fully wordless; the words for sounds are painted in. Mr. Pinkey explains in the artist's note, partially quoted above. In all, enjoyable, but I don't think Nephew will be getting a copy. Maybe his library will have it when he's older. ( )
  amyotheramy | May 11, 2021 |
Beautiful wordless (mostly) book! ( )
  melodyreads | Apr 9, 2021 |
This book is geared towards younger students.

This is a wordless picture book that shares the classic story of a mouse who was going to be eaten by an owl and is saved by the lion. The mouse returns the favor when hunters capture the lion, the mouse chews through the ropes and frees the lion.

I would use this book to share about kindness in the classroom and how we all have different strengths that can help each other. ( )
  cbrown19 | Mar 7, 2021 |

Jerry Pinkneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aesopsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my first great-granddaughter, Zion McKenzie Noel and to all things that squeal, purr, roar, hoot, screech, bark, meow, chirp, and neigh. – J.P.
Who Who Whoooo
(A)s an adult, I've come to to appreciate how both animals are equally large at heart: the courageous mouse, and lion who must rise above his beastly nature to set his small prey free.

Well, first the artwork is amazing. The story flows seemlessly through each page and from the facial expressions and body language of the characters, you can tell what they are thinking. The color on each page is striking. If I were to use this in a class of older students I could talk about foreshadowing and character transformation as the lion makes a decision of kindness to release the mouse, and then the mouse comes back to free the lion. A great book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,343,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible