The Lion & the Mouse (2009)

by Jerry Pinkney

Other authors: Aesop

In this wordless retelling of an Aesop fable, an adventuresome mouse proves that even small creatures are capable of great deeds when he rescues the King of the Jungle.
    Amos & Boris by William Steig (jrzayaz)
    jrzayaz: A large creature and a small creature able to help each other when it is needed most.
    Can I Come Too? by Brian Patten (PeachtreePublishers)

These illustrations stood out to me during our Illustrators Quiz. I had to see more artwork by Jerry Pinkney. In the Lion and the Mouse, there are stunning illustrations. The animals are incredibly detailed and their sounds are drawn in large bubble letters next to them. This would appeal to any small child. The poachers' nets are wildly detailed. There's so much detail in every page and every animal. The lion, who had almost eaten the mouse earlier in the book, ends up being saved from the poacher's nets by the mouse. They go their separate ways. This book is stunning and should be on every family's shelf. ( )
  sarahlynnb | Jul 29, 2022 |
I found this book while looking for award-winning traditional literature. "The Lion and the Mouse" is one of Aesop's Fables and this book is a nearly-wordless adaption of the traditional story. Driven by stunning watercolor illustrations from celebrated illustrator, Jerry Pinkney, the tale of the lion and the mouse unfolds with a few words to carry it forward. Sound words like "squeak" from the mouse and "roar" from the lion are appropriately sized to communicate the volume and character of the sounds to readers.
With the economical use of words reflecting the original story, this version of "The Lion and the Mouse" is excellent for early readers to explore and develop literacy skills, including visual literacy skills. I found this book to be a beautiful reflection of traditional literature. ( )
  Amanda_CWU | Jul 13, 2022 |
Ages 2-5 year old's

Awards Won: Caldecott Medal
  BLESD | May 2, 2022 |
The best part about this book are the illustrations. They alone tell the story of the book, and it is great for young elementary students. ( )
  Kyle_Roberson | Apr 23, 2022 |
An classic story concept that is brought alive in this beautiful but wordless tale, allowing children to reflect and be guided in interpreting books while also using their imagination. ( )
  Aislinn.Torrance | Feb 14, 2022 |

Jerry Pinkneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aesopsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my first great-granddaughter, Zion McKenzie Noel and to all things that squeal, purr, roar, hoot, screech, bark, meow, chirp, and neigh. – J.P.
Who Who Whoooo
(A)s an adult, I've come to to appreciate how both animals are equally large at heart: the courageous mouse, and lion who must rise above his beastly nature to set his small prey free.
Since most retellings of the classic are sparse in text, a wordless version seemed quite natural; yet these engaging characters led me to make the story even fuller by providing a sense of family and setting.

Well, first the artwork is amazing. The story flows seemlessly through each page and from the facial expressions and body language of the characters, you can tell what they are thinking. The color on each page is striking. If I were to use this in a class of older students I could talk about foreshadowing and character transformation as the lion makes a decision of kindness to release the mouse, and then the mouse comes back to free the lion. A great book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,303,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible