Summerland by Michael Chabon

Summerland (edition 2002)

by Michael Chabon

Ethan Feld, the worst baseball player in the history of the game, finds himself recruited by a 100-year-old scout to help a band of fairies triumph over an ancient enemy.
Member:wespector
Title:Summerland
Authors:Michael Chabon
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2002), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 500 pages

Summerland by Michael Chabon

Finding a book like this makes me glad that I still like dip into children's literature. It is clever, imaginative, well written (it IS Michael Chabon after all) and all the other things that go into making a good story to read and savor.

Read it. Share it with a book-loving young person. ( )
  riemerreads | Jul 10, 2021 |
After "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay", I didn't think I could love Michael Chabon more. This was a book about love and saving the world and BASEBALL. I'm not made of stone, people; it was sort of amazing. ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |
I first read this many years ago and remembered enjoying it, but not the details. I picked it up again when I learned that Michael Chabon was writing for Star Trek: Picard which I love for its intelligent, thoughtful and edgy writing. I enjoyed Summerland this second time, though I found it too long. Still, I love Chabon’s beautiful writing and wide array of characters, from “Coyote” the trickster to Sasquatch to “ferishers” (similar to the mythological “Little People”) to were-beings (I liked that Cutbelly the were-fox affectionately called Ethan and Jennifer T. "piglets"). And though I’m not a baseball fan, I appreciated the references and layout around the game, as I could share that with my baseball-fan husband. I enjoyed the fictional “Clam Island” setting as I live in the San Juan Islands that it was modeled after. Themes of friendship and loyalty and resilience always resonate with me. It took me a long time to finish it, though living in COVID-19 times may have contributed to this. But finish it, I did, and I am glad I did. ( )
  bookwren | Apr 17, 2020 |
Advance copy. ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
This is a story about baseball and friendship and perserverance and magic. If that isn't enough to intrigue you then you may have lost your ability to wonder. I'm glad to say that even at 66 years of age I was able to lose myself in this magical book.

Ethan Feld is 11 years old and lives with his father on Clam Island off the coast of Washington State. His mother, a veterinarian, died of cancer a few years ago when they were living in Colorado Springs and his father followed a dream that she figured in to this remote spot. Ethan's father is an aeronautical engineer and he is working on a personal use dirigible. He occasionally flies his prototype around the island and sometimes uses it to take Ethan to his Little League baseball games at the tip of the island. This tip is called Summerland for the fact that it is always sunshiney in the summer even though the rest of the island is often covered in clouds. The reason for this unexpected weather pattern is revealed when Ethan finds a werefox that can scamper between different realities. The Summerland end of the island has a connection to another reality that is also called Summerland which is populated by faeries. However this reality and two others that are supported by the great tree of life are in trouble. Coyote, that old trickster of myth, is trying to bring down the whole tree which would end all existence as we know it. Ethan has been identified as the champion who can possibly help prevent this. Ethan isn't so sure of his abilities especially since they seem to depend on his baseball prowess which is pretty much nonexistent. Nevertheless when he comes home and finds his father has been tricked away by Coyote he is determined to try. He gets his friends Jennifer T. Rideout and Thor Wignutt and the werefox Cinqufoil together and they take off in the Feld's old Saab attached to a dirigible envelope. They make it across the join between the worlds but that is just the start of their adventure. Along the way they meet giants and Sasquatches and other beings that are spoken of in myths and stories and tall tales. And they play baseball for increasingly important reasons. Follow their journey and be amazed.

What a great way to finish out the year! Although this book is actually meant for children I sincerely loved it. Since I purchased it in 2009 it took me a long time to crack it open but I'm glad I kept it. ( )
  gypsysmom | Dec 31, 2019 |
To Sophie, Zeke, and Ida-Rose
The Cramer - Barash Family
Ethan said, "I hate baseball."
Great slow wheels of crows turned in the grey skies overhead. (p. 102)

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,389,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible