The Wife's Tale: A Novel by Lori…

The Wife's Tale: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Lori Lansens

Member:teelgee
Title:The Wife's Tale: A Novel
Authors:Lori Lansens
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2011
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, own, 2011, RR gift (Lee), women writers, favorite authors

The Wife's Tale by Lori Lansens (2009)

English (68)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (71)
I enjoyed this tale, but felt it was left unfinished - I had questions about so many things at the end. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Lansen is a great writer, but it is so hard to top "The Girls". Characters in this novel were not as loveable, or as engaging. Too many unresolved storylines, too many odd, unnecessary characters (prayer group?) etc. I finished with a million questions. It feels like Lansen dreamed up a character, and a beginning to her novel, but could not find a compelling ending. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
Read all on one day; it gripped me. I'd have given it a 4, but for me it weakened a bit at the end. Definitely a 3.5 at least. I didn't like her previous "The Girls", but am glad I gave her a second chance. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
I knew roughly what this book was about and I thought I wouldn't care for it but it turns out that it was very good. Which brings me to musing about how to decide what to read. I used to go by reviews in the Globe and Mail but I learned it was important to read between the lines of a review to see if it would really suit me. Then there are always recommendations from friends and others and usually those are reliable; on the occasion when I haven't cared for a book that a friend recommended it is probably because I wasn't in the right frame of mind. Sometimes I read a book based on the fact that I enjoyed a previous book of the author's but that can be hit and miss. And sometimes I read a book just because it is sitting there and the cover looks interesting. That was certainly a factor this time.

Mary Gooch has lived in the same Ontario town all her life, hardly even venturing to Toronto. To the disgust of her husband she cancelled a cruise that she had won. You see, Mary is morbidly obese and can hardly make it from her house to her vehicle to drive into town. The idea of getting on a plane and facing all those people on a cruise ship, not to mention all the food temptations, was too much for her. Her husband of 25 years disappears on the eve of their wedding anniversary without a word. When she checks the bank balance she finds that there is an extra $25,000 in it. Determined to find her husband, Gooch as she calls him, she drives first to Toronto to go to a restaurant that he frequented. She learns that he has gone to California to see his mother so she gets on a plane to California. She doesn't find Gooch in California but she does find friends and her self-esteem and things she can do for others.

From the look of the author's photo she is not herself overweight but maybe she was at one time or else she is very empathetic. Mary's binge eating is so perfectly described that I could almost taste the food. I have had my own times of binge eating and that urge to eat more even as your brain says to stop is overwhelming. Mary's aversion to food after Gooch abandons her is not something I've experienced but obviously anorexics deal with that daily. But the important lesson is that Mary is more than her relationship with food and so are we all. That is something all of us must remember when we see people of any size, shape, or colour. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jul 12, 2017 |
I LOVED this book. I did not want it to end. I want to follow Mary Gooch onward in her life. I loved her so much. She is so real and becomes so brave . She is so good to people so innocent and kind.I have so many questions for her. Mary, do you find Jimmy Gooch your husband who disappears on your 25th wedding anniversary? Mary, how much did Jimmy win in the lottery? Mary, do you continue to lose weight? Do you stay in California or go back to Leaford Ontario? What happens to your friends, Ronnie with the triplets, Your mother in law Eden? Hay SU the Mexican pool guy? Do you want Jimmy back?
Such a good book. ( )
1 vote Smits | Jun 12, 2017 |
To Maxim and Natasha
Alone in the evenings, when the light had drained from the slate roof of her small rural home, and when her husband was working late, Mary Gooch would perform a striptease for the stars at the open bedroom window: shifting out of rumpled bottoms, slipping off blousy top, liberating breasts, peeling panties, her creamy flesh spilling forth until she was completely, exquisitely nude.

On the eve of their Silver Anniversary, Mary Gooch is waiting for her husband Jimmy--still every inch the handsome star athlete he was in high school--to come home. As night turns to day, it becomes frighteningly clear to Mary that he is gone. Through the years, disappointment and worry have brought Mary's life to a standstill, and she has let her universe shrink to the well-worn path from the bedroom to the refrigerator. But her husband's disappearance startles her out of her inertia, and she begins a desperate search.

For the first time in her life, she boards a plane and flies across the country to find her lost husband. So used to hiding from the world, Mary finds that in the bright sun and broad vistas of California, she is forced to look up from the pavement. And what she finds fills her with inner strength she's never felt before. Through it all, Mary not only finds kindred spirits, but reunites with a more intimate stranger no longer sequestered by fear and habit: herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:16 -0400)

On the eve of their Silver Anniversary, Mary Gooch is waiting for her husband Jimmy to come home. As night turns to day, it becomes frighteningly clear to Mary that he is gone. Through the years, disappointment and worry have brought Mary's life to a standstill, and she has let her universe shrink to the well-worn path from the bedroom to the refrigerator. But her husband's disappearance startles her out of her inertia, and she begins a desperate search.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lori Lansens's book The Wife's Tale was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,692,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible