When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey…

When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960… (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Gail Collins

Title:When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present
Authors:Gail Collins
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2009), Hardcover, 480 pages
Tags:Gail Collins, women, history, feminism, feminist, women's movement, politics, America, progressive, progressive book club, popular culture, New York Times

When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present by Gail Collins (2009)

I admit, it took me awhile to read, but not because it wasn't well done. I'm just not that good at nonfiction anymore, plus it's been a busy time. But it is exactly what the title says. Not only do we read about the people we all "know" like Rosa Parks and Gloria Steinem, but there are the stories of, and interviews with "everyday" people. From politics to education, to voting, to Civil Rights and race relations, to marriage and gender roles within relationships. . . she covers them all. As we see women's reproductive rights challenged again in 2014, it is an educational look back to the battles fought and won, and even those we have yet to win. ( )
  cherybear | Apr 25, 2014 |
This book was just one dumbed-down anecdote after another, provided without context or organization. The subject deserves so much more. ( )
  read.to.live | Mar 26, 2014 |
Engrossing herstory of American women from 1960 on. Ms. Collins gives us excellent perspectives to look back on the truly amazing journey we've taken in these past decades. As a woman growing up in the seventies, I was acutely aware of the double standards, and I just loved reading this well-thought out account of the journey women have taken to get the freedoms we did not enjoy in 1960.

I just love Ms Collins' humor and voice. ( )
1 vote midwestms | Jan 8, 2014 |
[When Everything Changed] by [[Gail Collins]] is a history of the women’s movement and of women’s place in the US. It’s well-written and full of interesting details. Collins covers issues of class, race and sexual orientation as they relate to women’s roles, so the book is quite comprehensive. It’s broad, rather than deep, but well worth reading.

I was impressed at how far we have come since the early 60’s when women were marginalized and accepted the marginalization. The story that resonated with me was an anecdote about JFK. Katharine Graham told how the president wanted to know why Adlai Stevenson, balding and chubby, was regarded as so attractive by his many female friends. Told that it was because Stevenson actually listened with interest to what women had to say, the president responded “Well, I don’t say you’re wrong, but I’m not sure I can go to those lengths. “ ( )
1 vote banjo123 | Aug 3, 2013 |
While no book examining social change can ever be completely free of bias, this one comes about as close as they can. Collins does an amazing job of tracing the connections and showing the continuity between the various developments and movements of the 60's and 70's and how they have evolved into the world we have today. On top of that, she does it in an engaging way. Conservative/libertarian readers may weary a bit of the argument for federally-supported child care, but even that bias does not overshadow the general balance of the book. Both progressive and conservative female figures are portrayed positively, though there is an occasional slam at males who vehemently opposed to the women's movement. I personally feel that I understand myself, my peers, and my parents much better for having read this book. ( )
  readrunandrepeat | Apr 3, 2013 |
Among the impressive features of Ms. Collins’s book is her genial, fair-minded sympathy, her refusal to smirk at the excesses of the most radical ’70s feminists or at the stances of women, among them Phyllis Schlafly, who counseled their sisters to stay home where they belonged. This evenhandedness seems all the more admirable later in the book, when she considers the significance of Hillary Rodham Clinton’s and Sarah Palin’s roles in the 2008 presidential election.
Did feminism fail?

Gail Collins’s smart, thorough, often droll and extremely readable account of women’s recent history in America not only answers this question brilliantly, but also poses new ones about the past and the present, as she explicates moments that were widely recorded and illuminates scenes that were barely remarked upon at the time.
Although women have come a long way, baby, Collins acknowledges that — in 21st century America — they haven't figured out how to raise children and hold down a job at the same time, or to keep marriages from cascading into divorce. Nonetheless, her splendid book reminds us that their moms created a world their grandmas "did not even have the opportunity to imagine."
On a steamy morning in the summer of 1960, Lois Rabinowitz, a 28-year-old secretary for an oil-company executive, unwittingly became the feature story of the day in New York City when she went down to traffic court to pay her boss's speeding ticket.

Gail Collins, New York Times columnist and bestselling author, recounts the astounding revolution in women's lives over the past 50 years, with her usual "sly wit and unfussy style" (People).

When Everything Changed begins in 1960, when most American women had to get their husbands' permission to apply for a credit card. It ends in 2008 with Hillary Clinton's historic presidential campaign. This was a time of cataclysmic change, when, after four hundred years, expectations about the lives of American women were smashed in just a generation.

A comprehensive mix of oral history and Gail Collins's keen research--covering politics, fashion, popular culture, economics, sex, families, and work--When Everything Changed is the definitive book on five crucial decades of progress. The enormous strides made since 1960 include the advent of the birth control pill, the end of "Help Wanted--Male" and "Help Wanted--Female" ads, and the lifting of quotas for women in admission to medical and law schools. Gail Collins describes what has happened in every realm of women's lives, partly through the testimonies of both those who made history and those who simply made their way.

Picking up where her highly lauded book America's Women left off, When Everything Changed is a dynamic story, told with the down-to-earth, amusing, and agenda-free tone for which this beloved New York Times columnist is known. Older readers, men and women alike, will be startled as they are reminded of what their lives once were--"Father Knows Best" and "My Little Margie" on TV; daily weigh-ins for stewardesses; few female professors; no women in the Boston marathon, in combat zones, or in the police department. Younger readers will see their history in a rich new way. It has been an era packed with drama and dreams--some dashed and others realized beyond anyone's imagining.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:33 -0400)

Tells how American women got from there to here, in politics, fashion, economics, sex, families and work in the past five decades.

178 wanted2 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible