Wild Blue Under

by Judi Fennell

Series: Mer (Book 2), Tritone Trilogy (2)

The underwater kingdom is his as soon as he claims his queen. Rod Tritone has the looks and charm to snag any queen he wants for his Mer kingdom, but unfortunately, it's not up to him. As fate would have it, the one woman destined to rule with him is terrified of water.

Valerie Dumere doesn't know it yet, but she's destined for greater things. Rod Tritone, next in line to be King to the Mer people walks into her life and turns it upside down. With his good looks and charm, Valerie can't help being attracted to him.

Wild Blue Under is a riveting tale. This story is filled with danger, romance and intrigue. Ms. Fennell has wowed me again with her world of under the sea characters. While I enjoyed the romance between Rod & Valerie, I loved the hilarious talking seagull, Livingston a lot more! In a genre of vampire, werewolves and demons this series is a breath of fresh air. ( )
  vampiregirl76 | Jul 5, 2010 |
Wild Blue Under, by Judi Fennell, is a fine successor to In Over Her Head and another enjoyable read. I would never have believed that stories of mermaids and mermen could be so intriguing till I started on this series. But Judi’s gentle humor and convincing imagination makes it easy for the reader to suspend disbelief and enjoy the curious ride.

This second novel takes place mostly on land, with the Heir to the throne of Mer undertaking a task to prove his worthiness. But “worth” is more than meets the brain or eye, and I love the way Judi’s inclusion of Olympian gods provides glimpses of eternal questions—why do bad things happen to good people? Why do things go wrong even when we’ve done everything right?

This being a romance, “worth” also includes true love, and there are some truly hilarious scenes (enormously memorable ones too) as hero and heroine drive cross-country while being dive-bombed by wildfowl, struggling all the time to deny their growing attraction to each other. The advent of large quantities of rain and assorted injuries cause the absence of certain garments and well… you can guess where it’s going, but you’d do much better to read. Airports are closed. Seagulls talk (and eat fries). Evil schemers plot and plan to deceive. And it all leads to the learning of fascinating, satisfying lessons, well-taught by those mysterious gods shifting pawns that still exercise free will.

I may even have liked this novel better than Judi’s first book, which bodes well for the third, coming soon—a really fun read. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Apr 12, 2010 |
Had to consign this book to daytime reading only as my bursts of laughter kept waking my husband. This was a delightful story and a non-stop giggle fest. I'll be watching for the next book come February. ( )
  VirginiaGill | Nov 17, 2009 |
I began this series a bit out of order, I started Wild Blue Under first. It did not confuse me as in the story line but I got a bit annoyed (maybe that is not the right word) with all the under the sea analogies. Every other page something fishy would pop up. For instance, "Oh, Hades!" or "That's it in a conch shell." I was a little tired of it by page 100. Then it began to mellow down. It was as if the longer Rod remained on land the less and less sea analogies he used or even thought about. I wonder if this was done intentionally. It wasn't until I read book one did I realize the imagination and effort it took to write this series.

Ms. Fennell did a wonderful job creating an underwater world with beauty, elegance, mystery and intrigue. This subject is not one that has been over done and there is so much room to grow and expand with it. She could do far more that the 3 books already on the table (Book 3 is slated for Feburary) and her fans would not get tired in the least. The characters are guided by passion, duty and the gods, with Zeus in charge of the whole shibang. Not only is Judi's underwater world a delight but she has a way with timing her plot that is amazing.

The flow of the book was just right. There are times when you read a book and you think to yourself "enough with the . . . Already!" In Wild Blue Under the was never a chance for that. Just when you thought the action was getting a bit much the main characters would have a love scene or the bad guy would flip the script. Great twists and turns, and the hired "antagonist" (!!!) You are never going to guess who it is, don't even try!

Wild Blue Under is a great escape from the world we live in. So, grab the book, a glass of (salt) water and dive in. ( )
  faith42love | Oct 22, 2009 |
"Wild Blue Under" is the second book of author, Judi Fennell's Mer Trilogy, and the first of hers I have read and definitely won't be the last, either! I will definitely going back and buying book #1 "In Over Her Head" which is about Reel, Rod's brother. However, "Wild Blue Under" didn't suffer at all as a stand alone.

I will say first and foremost, I totally giggled at the Tritone's names, dad's name is Fisher, sons Rod and Reel. I have to throw that out first. I love it! Imagine a world with Atlantis still being under sea, thriving and being ruled by the Mers, well Judi Fennell was able to create this world and mixing in the concerns current today about the environment, and an elite military style group of birds and dolphins. On top of that, throw in the unbelievably sexy Rod and the gorgeous Valerie and some hot, steamy scenes which are hot enough to raise the oceanic temperature and make me wish I had my own real life princely Mer Rod Tritone.

"Wild Blue Under" had action, political coup attempts, jealousy, love and be still my beating heart, Kansas. Judi Fennell included Kansas in her book. Why do I care? I am a Kansas girl, myself and am a little partial to Kansas and will always be a Kansas girl. I just wish, though, she would have added a little more locale detail but even without it, this book was A+ in my world.

Once again, this book was such a fun, delightful read. I love the talking birds, Maybelle and Adele, those two added something special as they thwarted the cowbirds with their feminine charms. Like I always say.... girl power :) ( )
  jaimehuff1 | Sep 25, 2009 |

Belongs to Series

Mer (Book 2)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,382,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible