Biocentrism : how life and consciousness are…

Biocentrism : how life and consciousness are the keys to understanding the true nature of the universe (edition 2009)

by R. P. Lanza, Bob Berman

Robert Lanza is one of the most respected scientists in the world--a US News & World Report cover story called him a "genius" and a "renegade thinker," even likening him to Einstein. Lanza has teamed with Bob Berman, the most widely read astronomer in the world, to produce Biocentrism, a revolutionary new view of the universe. Every now and then a simple yet radical idea shakes the very foundations of knowledge. The startling discovery that the world was not flat challenged and ultimately changed the way people perceived themselves and their relationship with the world. For most humans of the 15th century, the notion of Earth as ball of rock was nonsense. The whole of Western, natural philosophy is undergoing a sea change again, increasingly being forced upon us by the experimental findings of quantum theory, and at the same time, towards doubt and uncertainty in the physical explanations of the universe's genesis and structure. Biocentrism completes this shift in worldview, turning the planet upside down again with the revolutionary view that life creates the universe instead of the other way around. In this paradigm, life is not an accidental byproduct of the laws of physics. Biocentrism takes the reader on a seemingly improbable but ultimately inescapable journey through a foreign universe--our own--from the viewpoints of an acclaimed biologist and a leading astronomer. Switching perspective from physics to biology unlocks the cages in which Western science has unwittingly managed to confine itself. Biocentrism will shatter the reader's ideas of life--time and space, and even death. At the same time it will release us from the dull worldview of life being merely the activity of an admixture of carbon and a few other elements; it suggests the exhilarating possibility that life is fundamentally immortal. The 21st century is predicted to be the Century of Biology, a shift from the previous century dominated by physics. It seems fitting, then, to begin the century by turning the universe outside-in and unifying the foundations of science with a simple idea discovered by one of the leading life-scientists of our age. Biocentrism awakens in readers a new sense of possibility, and is full of so many shocking new perspectives that the reader will never see reality the same way again.… (more)
Member:chris_a_hart
Title:Biocentrism : how life and consciousness are the keys to understanding the true nature of the universe
Authors:R. P. Lanza
Other authors:Bob Berman
Info:Dallas, TX : BenBella Books, Inc., c2009.
Tags:to-read

Work Information

Biocentrism: How Life and Consciousness are the Keys to Understanding the True Nature of the Universe by Robert Lanza

I read about 40% of this and somewhat understood the principles laid out. I did not grasp the logic very well and had the sense that reading more was not going to help me understand. I had lost interest by then.
I cannot recommend this book, not because I think the idea is totally wrong, but because I don't think the points are made clear. There seems to me to be excess of words and lack of clarity.
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
As a book that makes you think, this one was ok, but It felt awfully patronizing that there were no references provided for all the crucial scientific studies that Lanza relies on in his text to support his arguments. His arguments tended to skip logical steps that made the proofs he tries to construct weak or virtually meaningless, and his basic assumptions seem hardly solid enough to make the sort of leaps he makes in constructing his theoretical system. In addition, it seems Lanza's biocentrism is untestable, and he uses terms like space, time, solid, and consciousness without providing adequate operational definitions. I felt like I was reading an attempt at reconciling modern science with that of the nearly retired generation, not so much because the result makes sense, as just because the author cannot quite wrap his head around modern science concepts without automatically referring to the outdated concepts and definitions he learned as a young man. While I have met many excellent working physicists and philosophers who are doing this same sort of thing, this book was frustrating to read. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
good note book # 834
  JhonnSch | Oct 23, 2016 |
Enlightening but I can't say I was able to completely wrap my arms around it. Well-written and well-edited, with a good review of the history and current status of our understanding of the nature of the universe. That part I understood, as well as the problems with the current theories. Understanding how the entire universe is "all in the mind", along with the concepts of space and time, was much harder to grasp. Gave me a lot to chew on. ( )
1 vote jsfecmd | Dec 21, 2014 |
Picked this book up because I love reading about science, especially when it involves new theories. Overall I would say its interesting but in some parts it feels more like an autobiography, especially when the author tries to explain something. But for the most part the book was good, after finishing this book it had me thinking a bit more out of the box. ( )
1 vote clitchfi22 | Jun 20, 2012 |
To Barbara O'Donnell on the occasion of her ninetieth year
Our understanding of the universe as a whole has reached a dead end.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,776,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible