Still Waters by Viveca Sten

Still Waters (2008)

by Viveca Sten

Series: The Sandhamn series (1)

English (11)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (21)
I enjoyed the twists in this one! It was a quick read and I didn’t expect the way it ended. Murders. Family drama. Takes place in Sweden. Detectives. Unexpected twists. What more could you ask for in a light read? ( )
  kstadt929 | Jan 3, 2019 |
A body washes up on the beach of the island of Sandhamn, in Sweden, and at first it looks like an accident. It takes a while to identify him, but Krister Berggren seemingly just had an accidental fall off a boat, and wasn't noticed in time. Police Detective Thomas Andreasson identifies him, and talks to Krister's only close relative, his cousin Kicki Berggren, in Stockholm, and is about to close the case when Kicki turns up dead, apparently badly beaten, in a bed-and-breakfast on Sandhamn.

Circumstances make this effectively the first major murder investigation that Thomas has led, and his local knowledge of Sandhamn, where he spent many a childhood summer, and his friendship with local lawyer Nora Linde give him some badly needed advantages in a very puzzling case.

Sten is a Swedish writer, and I discovered her books while mucking around with my new-to-me Kindle fire. I'm glad I did. It's a really good, solid mystery by someone i wouldn't ordinarily be seeking out. Thomas and his colleagues, and Nora and her friends and neighbors, are well worth getting to know, and the story is solidly plotted. It's worth noting that Sten didn't feel compelled to make Nora and Thomas a romantic couple. They each have their own romantic and relationship issues, but their relationship with each other is just longstanding, solid, reliable friendship.

Since I'm not Swedish, have never been to Sweden, and am overall unlikely to go to Sweden, this book also gave me a bit of an out-of-culture experience, and that's always enjoyable, an added benefit to the good mystery and good characters.

Recommended.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
A very good mystery with great characters. Add to that the setting in islands near Stockholm, Sweden, which makes it delightful. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
This is the first book in the Sandhamn series, set in a popular sailing and holiday village in Sweden’s Stockholm archipelago. When a body washes up covered in seaweed and rope, Detective Thomas Andreasson is on the scene and immediately becomes involved in identifying the body. He begins with an assumption of accident or suicide, but then a second person is found dead … and a third … and we have ourselves a murder mystery.

In some ways, this book reminded me of Louise Penny’s Inspector Gamache series. LIke Three Pines, Sandhamn is the sort of idyll which should be free from violent crime, but isn’t. Author Viveca Sten builds a community of interesting characters you can’t help caring about, and I'm guessing their stories build over successive novels. The mystery itself was a little weak, and some of the dynamics between characters seemed oversimplified. But I enjoyed this enough to read the next one … ( )
  lauralkeet | May 28, 2018 |
Quick, easy fairly well written crime/police mystery novel taking place on islands near Stockholm, Sweden.
Will read other novels by this author so will recommend this one as just a light, easy quick read with fairly hidden “who-done-it”. ( )
  KarenHerndon | May 9, 2018 |

Viveca Stenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cassaigne, RémiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Delargy, MarlaineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Omistettu urhealle äidilleni
Oli aivan hiljaista, rauhallista kuten aina talvisin, kun saaristo on pyhitetty ainoastaan vakituisille asukkaille eivätkä äänekkäät kesävieraat ole vallanneet saaria käyttöönsä.

On a hot July morning on Sweden’s idyllic vacation island of Sandhamn, a man takes his dog for a walk and makes a gruesome discovery: a body, tangled in fishing net, has washed ashore.

Police detective Thomas Andreasson is the first to arrive on the scene. Before long, he has identified the deceased as Krister Berggren, a bachelor from the mainland who has been missing for months. All signs point to an accident—until another brutalized corpse is found at the local bed-and-breakfast. But this time it is Berggren’s cousin, whom Thomas interviewed in Stockholm just days before.

As the island’s residents reel from the news, Thomas turns to his childhood friend, local lawyer Nora Linde. Together, they attempt to unravel the riddles left behind by these two mysterious outsiders—while trying to make sense of the difficult twists their own lives have taken since the shared summer days of their youth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,125,642 books! | Top bar: Always visible