Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed…

Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World (edition 2009)

by N. D. Wilson (Author)

What is this World? What kind of place is it? "The round kind. The spinning kind. The moist kind. The inhabited kind. The kind with flamingos (real and artificial). The kind where water in the sky turns into beautifully symmetrical crystal flakes sculpted by artists unable to stop themselves (in both design and quantity). The kind of place with tiny, powerfully jawed mites assigned to the carpets to eat my dead skin as it flakes off . . . The kind with people who kill and people who love and people who do both . . . This world is beautiful but badly broken. "I love it as it is, because it is a story, and it isn't stuck in one place. It is full of conflict and darkness like every good story, a world of surprises and questions to explore. And there's someone behind it; there are uncomfortable answers to the hows and whys and whats. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. Through Him were all things made . . . Welcome to His poem. His play. His novel. Let the pages flick your thumbs."… (more)
Member:Cpflegz
Title:Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World
Authors:N. D. Wilson (Author)
Info:Thomas Nelson (2009), Edition: Original, 224 pages

Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World by N. D. Wilson

This book landed solidly on my favorites must reread someday list. If G.K Chesterton, Ann Voskamp and Steven Wright got together and wrote and worldview book this would be it! ( )
  LaraLovesToRead | Sep 23, 2019 |
This book is an apologetic for God (both his existence and his nature) from the perspective of wonder. A better book to accomplish this goal would be R.F. Capon's Supper of the Lamb - where you are truly drawn into the wonderful, mysterious world in which we live, instead of annoyed by the heavy-handed list of metaphors and poeticky jargon that inhabits this book. Wilson's discussion of heaven and hell in the end of the book is worth the entire thing - skip the first few chapters and read the end. ( )
  booksofmoerman | Dec 22, 2017 |
A romp! ( )
  leandrod | Feb 10, 2015 |
I kept going back and forth between 4 and 5 stars, but let's face it, it's rare enough that a book makes me cry and refreshes my soul this much.

The Chestertonian influences will be obvious, but not so overpowering as to annoy Chesterton fans or to put off those who dislike him.

It's gritty and whimsical, and it makes you feel small in the best way. Will read again for certain. ( )
  LudieGrace | Dec 4, 2013 |
Delightful and provocative in all the best ways. ( )
  chriskrycho | Mar 30, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,286,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible