The Fall by Albert Camus

The Fall (original 1956; edition 1991)

by Albert Camus

6,889711,080 (3.89)1 / 161
Elegantly styled, Camus' profoundly disturbing novel of a Parisian lawyer's confessions is a searing study of modern amorality.
Member:rettjs01
Title:The Fall
Authors:Albert Camus
Info:Vintage (1991), Paperback, 160 pages

Work Information

The Fall by Albert Camus (Author) (1956)

English (59)  French (5)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (71)
کتاب جالب و متفاوتی بود. اما متاسفانه فایل صوتی دو فصل آخری که من داشتم، کار نمی کرد و طبیعتا آخرش رو با جزییات نتونستم گوش کنم. ( )
  Milad_Gharebaghi | Jan 14, 2022 |
This is a monologue between a former lawyer, Jean Baptiste Clamence and the reader. Jean Baptiste is the only interlocutor in the whole novel. He reminisces about his past musings, confesses some things that led to his inevitable fall from "grace" and eventually questions several social phenomena.
The beginning of the book was intriguing; so much that I thought it would be more interesting than the Plague. Unfortunately, that impression dwindled as the monologue progressed. The whole monologue could have been written in a short essay. It felt forced and even conceited at times. I couldn't help but imagine myself having to listen to someone talk nonstop about things if uttered by a 10 year old boy, people would brush it off as teenage angst.
I totally don't recommend this as anyone's first Albert Camus read.
  meddz | Jun 11, 2021 |
This one was a drag to read for the first time. I think a lot of it was lost on me partially because I think I read it too quickly (finished within 24 hours). Next time, I will slow down and try to understand everything that is happening. A lot of the existential philosophy went over my head.

What I did get, was very good though. The commentary on guilt, sincerity, suicide, slavery really had some incredibly memorable lines and perspectives. There were definitely moments of brilliance, and I think on a reread it will bring it all together. As this book is so dense, it might take a couple rereads.

The narrative structure (talking directly to the reader in a monologue) was very interesting, and clever. It's a technique I'm not sure I've ever seen done before in a novel. However it did wear on me. It's the exact same thing for 150 pages straight, and it's just a lot to handle. I think when I reread this, and take it slower, I might come to enjoy it more. ( )
  Andjhostet | Jan 11, 2021 |
I can't say I enjoyed this. I'm sure there's all sorts of deep meanings and philosophy buried in here, but the way it's narrated first person, as if in conversation, for the entire book was something I found tedious. Especially from an unlikable character. ( )
  AngelaJMaher | Dec 25, 2020 |
"The Fall" is Camus' take on the Underground Man. It is a first person confession. Unlike Dostoevsky, this protagonist is a lawyer, respected, doing very well, likes to help people in need - but it is all a sham, he is suffering from an existential ennui and chooses random strangers in bars to tell his story. He asks his listener to consider - what is it that we really want? ( )
  Marse | Nov 20, 2020 |

Camus, AlbertAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Meister, Guido G.Translatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Buss, RobinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maclaine Pont, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattauch, AlfredIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, JustinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuart, GilbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some were dreadfully insulted, and quite seriously, to have held up as a model such an immoral character as A Hero of Our Time; others shrewdly noticed that the author had portrayed himself and his acquaintances...A Hero of Our Time, gentlemen, is in fact a portrait but not of an individual; it is the aggregate of the vices of our whole generation intheir fullest expression. LERMONTOV
May I, monsieur, offer my services without running the risk of intruding?
L'Olanda è un sogno, caro signore, un sogno d'oro e di fumo, più fumoso di giorno e più dorato di notte, e giorno e notte questo sogno è popolato di Lohengrin come questi, che trascorrono in sogno su nere biciclette dagli alti manubri, cigni neri che girano senza tregua per tutto il paese, intorno ai mari, lungo i canali.
Io riprendevo forza e poi la riperdevo. La vita diventava meno facile: quando il corpo è triste, il cuore langue. Mi sembrava di disimparare in parte quello che non avevo mai imparato e che tuttavia sapevo così bene: vivere, voglio dire.
Gliel'ho detto, si tratta di sfuggire al giudizio. Siccome sfuggirvi è difficile, mentre riuscire a far ammirare e insieme scusare la propria natura è buona creanza, cercano tutti di essere ricchi. Perché? Se lo è mai chiesto? Per essere potenti, certo. Ma soprattutto perché la ricchezza sottrae al giudizio immediato, ti libera dalla folla della metropolitana per chiuderti in una carrozzeria nichelata, isola in vasti parchi ben custoditi, vetture letto, cabine di lusso. La ricchezza, caro amico, non è ancora l'assoluzione, è la condizionale, che fa sempre comodo.
Fatto sta che, dopo lunghi studi su me stesso, ho scoperto la duplicità profonda della creatura. Allora, a furia di frugare nella memoria, ho capito che la modestia mi aiutava a brillare, l'umiltà a vincere e la virtù ad opprimere. Facevo la guerra con mezzi pacifici, e alla fine, per mezzo del disinteresse, ottenevo ciò che agognavo.
Ma di nuovo trovai un ostacolo in me stesso. Questa volta fu il fegato, insieme ad una stanchezza così grande che ancora me la porto dietro. Uno gioca a fare l'immortale, e in capo a qualche settimana non sa nemmeno più se potrà strascicarsi fino al giorno dopo.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,145,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible