Born Round: The Secret History of a…

Born Round: The Secret History of a Full-time Eater (edition 2009)

by Frank Bruni (Author)

Bruni, restaurant critic for "The New York Times," tells his heartbreaking and hilarious account of his lifelong, often painful struggle with food.
Member:hanina2
Title:Born Round: The Secret History of a Full-time Eater
Authors:Frank Bruni (Author)
Info:Penguin Press (2009), Edition: First Edition, 368 pages

Born Round: The Secret History of a Full-time Eater by Frank Bruni

Interesting memoir from a guy who struggled with his weight all his life, and then became the NY Times restaurant critic. Bruni writes very well, and much of the book is entertaining. My god, though, through the first half he's constantly upset about being 5-10 pounds overweight, which is pretty maddening. But his description of his Italian immigrant family is spot on, and reminded me of a lot of my own childhood. Overall an enjoyable read. ( )
  JohnNienart | Jul 11, 2021 |
autobiog; good.
  18cran | May 30, 2021 |
You can tell Bruni writes for a living. His memoir is well-written and compelling. Anyone who's dealt with an eating disorder or weight issues can likely relate to Bruni's struggle with body image, harmful dieting behaviors, and food obsession. Foodies will appreciate the behind the scenes details and amusing stories about life as a restaurant critic for the biggest paper in the country. Bruni doesn't ultimately offer a solution or redemption, but rather shares his process of coming to a place of management and acceptance with his relationship with food and his body image. I listened to the audiobook of the memoir and enjoyed the listen. ( )
  penguinasana | Nov 22, 2017 |
I debated over whether to give this four stars or five. I have zero complaints about it: it was a solidly written book that easily kept my attention the whole way through. If I had to explain my hesitation over giving it five stars, perhaps it boils down to a lack of a wow factor. This book is a bit like the equivalent of a really good dish of spaghetti & meatballs -- tasty, flavorful, even a bit comforting, but yet it's never going to be something you call exciting, exactly.

Born Round is a bit of a tongue-in-cheek title. Ostensibly, it refers to a saying of his Italian grandmother's, something like, "Born round, you can't die square," meaning basically that people don't really change. In Frank Bruni's case, though, "born round" is also a bit of a lament about his natural tendency to love eating, and even overeating, resulting in a lifelong struggle (with battles both lost and won) to avoid a visibly rounded figure. I have seldom, if ever, read so frank (ha!) an examination of a man's body image issues. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
I didn't have many expectations when I started this book. I listened to the book on tape and was pleased that this "read by the author" book was a good choice of readers. He has an easy-to-listen-to voice and it made the book more personal. ( )
  KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |
The book becomes something of a suspense story. Will he keep the weight off? Will he call the cute guy who asks for his phone number, rather than deciding that he can’t bear to have the guy realize how heavy he is? The book ends with Mr. Bruni’s seeming to master his problem — it’s all about portions — but the final sentence, suggesting that he has learned to stop shoveling in food “at least for now,” leaves the reader hanging, and hoping that he won’t let himself go.

His book does what a memoir should: it entertains and edifies, voicing pain that otherwise many endure in loneliness. It promises to give comfort to souls feeling confused or betrayed by their bodies. Such staggering generosity: “Born Round” is like the Italian dinners Bruni loves — served up noisy, fun, heaping and delicious.

It's a thoughtful tale, unsparing in Bruni's analysis of himself, but hugely entertaining in his almost "Rocky"-like determination to make things right after countless slip-ups.

These struggles are depicted alongside a loving portrait of an Italian-American family (the most affecting part of the book), a family that in many ways served as an enabler for this favorite, full-figured son to devour everything in sight.

To my brothers
Mark and Harry
and my sister, Adelle.
You three are the luckiest hand I ever drew.

And to my nieces
Christina and Annabella,
because you missed out the last time around.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,215,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible