The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman

The Guns of August (original 1962; edition 1994)

by Barbara W. Tuchman (Author)

5,249991,444 (4.27)2 / 484
In this Pulitzer Prize-winning classic, historian Barbara Tuchman brings to life the people and events that led up to World War I. This was the last gasp of the Gilded Age, of Kings and Kaisers and Czars, of pointed or plumed hats, colored uniforms, and all the pomp and romance that went along with war. How quickly it all changed--and how horrible it became. Tuchman masterfully portrays this transition from 19th to 20th century, focusing on the turning point in the year 1914: the month leading up to the war and the first month of the war. With fine attention to detail, she reveals how and why the war started, and why it could have been stopped but wasn't, managing to make the story utterly suspenseful even when we already know the outcome.… (more)
Member:shabay3
Title:The Guns of August
Authors:Barbara W. Tuchman (Author)
Info:Random House (1994), Edition: Reprint, 608 pages

The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman (1962)

English (98)  Catalan (1)  All languages (99)
2014 (my brief comment can be found on the LibraryThing page linked)
https://www.librarything.com/topic/172769#4777528 ( )
  dchaikin | Sep 21, 2020 |
pg 88. May continue. Tired of Britain/FR POV.
  tmph | Sep 13, 2020 |
A thorough account of the outbreak and first month of the Great War. This book introduces readers to the "who's who" of World War One, intimately through letters, journals and reminisces of their peers. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
There were a few people in the French and British leadership that understood what the Germans were doing, but they were ignored and the military leaders continued with their erroneous assumptions. They were wrong about:
* Where the Germans would attack.
* The amount of force that the Germans would muster.
* The deployment of their own troops.

Margaret McMullin, in the War that Ended Peace, says that historians will continue to debate the cause of WWI for generations. To me it looks quite simple. In General:
* Pride
* Greed
And more specifically:
* Germany’s desire to dominate the world.

I was astonished to learn of the inhumanity to civilians and civilization that so enraged the world against Germany. And then from other history we learn that Germany didn’t learn, but repeated similar atrocities in the Second World War with similar effect at alienating other countries against them. Is it really that hard to learn from history? ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
At times difficult to read on the kindle without a map at hand to keep track of all the troop movements, but once I got a map the story was much more clear. I am very happy I finally read this as it not only tells the story of the first month of WWI, it also gives history of the major players and the events that led up to this war. ( )
  PallanDavid | Jun 14, 2020 |

Barbara W. Tuchmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Massie, Robert K.Forewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
May, NadiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The human heart is the starting point of all matters pertaining to war.
--Marechal de Saxe
Reveries on the Art of War (Preface), 1732

The terrible Ifs accumulate.
--Winston Churchill
The World Crisis, Vol. I, Chap. XI
So gorgeous was the spectacle on the May morning of 1910 when nine kings rode in the funeral of Edward VII of England that the crowd, waiting in hushed and black-clad awe, could not keep back gasps of admiration.
Nothing so comforts the military mind as the maxim of a great but dead general.
Arguments can always be found to turn desire into policy.
To be right and overruled is not forgiven to persons in responsible positions…

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,767,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible