Jackson’s Pride by Lynn Lorenz

Jackson’s Pride

by Lynn Lorenz

Jackson was the bastard son of a medieval duke. He has gained his life like a mercenary and he is pretty good at it. Tall and strong, a very impressive man, he doesn't seem and gentle man, and instead he is almost shy, he speaks few times, but his honor and word is his most important treasure.

So when his estranged father asks to him to come back home, he leaves the role of master of arms of a good duke and takes the road toward home. But during the path he meets William, a noble man who was beaten almost to death from the father of the boy he was kissing outside a tavern. Also William is the son of a duke, but he is the beloved legitimate second son and even if he will not inherited the title he has a loving family. Only that he prefers to roam the country in search of what even he doesn't know. But when he meets Jackson he thinks to have found finally his companion.

Still Jackson doesn't judge himself to be to the same level of William, not before his father recognizes him as a legitimate son. And so, even if he is deeply in love with William, he must leave him to fullfill his promise to go home. When and if his father will change his will, in this case Jackson will return to William.

Like the first book by Lynn Lorenz, Jackson's Pride is the classical savage historical romance, with the twist that both the heroes are men. But for all the other aspect, it's a true old historical romance: the bastard son of a duke, with no money but with honor, the fair heroine (in this case hero), with long blond hair and all vows of eternal love even if his beloved is a commoner not to his level, even the evil stepbrother of the hero with a castle full of beaten servants. Plus Jackson's Pride reminds me one of my favourite historical romance, Defy Not the Heart by Johanna Lindsey (one of the first romance I think where I found a gay character, the best friend of the heroine is a gay man who at first hits on the hero, only then to be scared by him for all the book).

I like very much William's characters, even if he is clearly the weaker in body, he is a strong man. He has the courage of his action but he is not a man who is embittered by his sad past. And he is ready to love again. He is open to love. Instead Jackson, even if is a good character, it's somewhat closed, also he sees the man on man relationship more like a companionship than a relationship; sometime I have the feel he chosed to be with man, cause he thinks a woman will be too weak for him... but don't misunderstand me, I like him, he is only a bi more brooding than the solar William.

Jackson's Pride is a medium long book that the historical romance fans will read in a rush.

elisa.rolle | Apr 17, 2008 |
First, to my husband. Without his support and encouragement I never would have kept writing. Second, to my critique partners. Their grammar, honesty, and excitement about the stories and this craft make me a better write. Third, to my editor. Her faith in me and her enthusiasm for my writing both inspire me and keep me motivated.
I sat on the bench and leaned against the wall of the tavern, watching the other men talk, drink, and hire whores. All seemed to be locals, farmers, or artisans, come to the tavern to spend coin in pursuits of the flesh. All but one, a young man sitting alone at a table. He’d watched me, from under half-lidded eyes, ever since he’d arrived. His companion, a large black dog, lay beside, head resting on its paws.

When Jackson rescued Will from the tree where he'd been left tied after nearly being beaten to death, he never imagined he'd fall in love. But Will's struggle to survive, his dry sense of humor, and his aching vulnerability, spark true feelings for the handsome son of a duke. But Jackson, landless and without title, must leave the man he has grown to love to find his destiny at his father's castle in Baymore.

Will fell in love the moment Jackson cut him down and held him in his arms. Jackson is everything Will had been searching for, a man of honor and strength, with a gentle soul. A true noble man, despite his lack of title. And for Will, titles mean nothing, but love is everything.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,742,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible