The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene

The Power and the Glory (1940)

by Graham Greene

5,49673790 (3.95)1 / 290
    The Lawless Roads by Graham Greene (John_Vaughan)
    John_Vaughan: In 1938 Greene traveled throughout the south of Mexico and experienced first-hand the terror and corruption, The travel Book Lawless Roads is the basis for the novel Power and Glory.
    Silence by Shūsaku Endō (Anonymous user)
    Getting to Know the General by Graham Greene (John_Vaughan)

English (66)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  French (1)  All (73)
I really liked this book. It was set in an epoch I was unfamiliar with -- Communist, religion-banning Mexico in the 1930s -- and its portrayal of a self-doubting whiskey priest on the run from zealous priest-hunters and his own demons alike was nothing short of enthralling.

What I’m sure I will remember most about this novel is just how very well written it was: Greene definitely has a way with words and images that makes his prose feel so absolutely right and impeccably assembled that no other words or images could really be acceptable substitutes.

This was my first Grahame Greene, but it will definitely not be my last. ( )
1 vote Petroglyph | Sep 29, 2017 |
Quel prete ubriacone sono io, siamo noi. è la condizione dell'uomo davanti a Dio. Bellissimo ( )
  SirJo | Sep 4, 2017 |
This is a hard one for me. I love Graham Greene, and have read many of his books and loved them all across genres. (He writes across so many genres!) I know this is considered his masterpiece, but the truth is I did not much enjoy the read. I generally love to wade around in physical, moral and religious decay. But this whiskey priest and his martyrdom did not move me. The prose and structure are, as one expects from Greene, spectacular. The man can write dialogue so authentic you feel like you are listening in on an actual conversation. No question this is a well crafted novel. I can't say why I did not connect with this, why I was never drawn in. Maybe it is that it felt like Greene really disliked all of his characters (including Mexico, which is definitely a character in this story.) All I can say is that I never felt drawn in to this story, I felt like I was sitting in the audience with Greene, and a safe distance from all the ugliness. ( )
  Narshkite | Jul 16, 2017 |
This is beautiful book. It is set in Mexico in the 1920's (?) during a period of intense religious persecution. Its protagonist is a drunk, 'whiskey priest' who is running from the law but is tethered to the land by his duty to God and the people. It is an amazing story of a flawed man who inspires hatred as much as love. I enjoyed this one a lot. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
This is my first Graham Greene novel and I must admit that I had expected more of it, as he is such a famous writer. I did like the language though, and it was interesting to read a novel set in Mexico, as I was travelling there when I read this. Didn't feel familiar though:-) Most of all because this novel is set in the past,in a period when religion was banned from Mexico (whereas religion is very present in Mexico now).
In the novel we follow a priest who is on the run from the government. He is supposed to be killed but manages to keep ahead of his prosecutors for years, secretly performing religious services in the villages he visits. This may sound fanatic, but the priest is full of self-doubt. He is an alcoholic (also problematic, as alcohol was prohibited by the government too), and has a daughter. He feels he is not worthy of priesthood, and instead of escaping the area, for which possibilities arise several times, he always returns to the dangerzone, where eventually, of course, he is caught. It is as if he wants to be caught.
During his wanderings, the priest meets several persons, who are being described as if they were main characters in the novel, after which they may (almost) completely disappear from the story. This seemed a bit strange at times. But I guess my main problem was that I couldn't really identify or at least sympatize with the priest. The endless guilt and addiction, it was a bit too much for me. ( )
  Tinwara | Apr 12, 2017 |
This is the story Greene was born to tell. With this novel, Greene brings all his considerable talent, craft, and gift for suspense to bear on a story that penetrates the heart of one tortured man’s mystery. For all its darkness and intensity, it’s a thrilling, page-turning read: the story is structured essentially as an extended chase across the barren landscape of Mexico—mirroring the even vaster desert spaces in the heart of the pursued Priest. Greene evokes the heat and dust and sweat of the country and its inhabitants with cinematic immediacy. The atmosphere is stifling, almost unbearably intense, and Greene’s capacity for storytelling invention never flags.

Greene, Grahamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Žantovská, HanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grandfield, GeoffIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lewis, R. W. B.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lewis, R. W. B.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindegren, ErikTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schaap. H.W.J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Updike, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Th' inclosure narrow'd; the sagacious power
Of hounds and death drew nearer every hour.
--Dryden
For Gervase
To Vivien with dearest love
Mr Tench went out to look for his ether cylinder, into the blazing Mexican sun and the bleaching dust.
DO NOT COMBINE WITH MAIN WORK - this is a heavily annotated edition containing significant supplemental critical material

VINTAGE CLASSICS EDITION:
During a vicious persecution of the clergy in Mexico, a worldly priest, the 'whisky priest', is on the run. With the police closing in, his routes of escape are being shut off, his chances getting fewer. But compassion and humanity force him along the road to his destiny, reluctant to abandon those who need him, and those he cares for.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142437301, Paperback)

How does good spoil, and how can bad be redeemed? In his penetrating novel The Power and the Glory, Graham Greene explores corruption and atonement through a priest and the people he encounters. In the 1930s one Mexican state has outlawed the Church, naming it a source of greed and debauchery. The priests have been rounded up and shot by firing squad--save one, the whisky priest. On the run, and in a blur of alcohol and fear, this outlaw meets a dentist, a banana farmer, and a village woman he knew six years earlier. For a while, he is accompanied by a toothless man--whom he refers to as his Judas and does his best to ditch. Always, an adamant lieutenant is only a few hours behind, determined to liberate his country from the evils of the church.

On the verge of reaching a safer region, the whisky priest is repeatedly held back by his vocation, even though he no longer feels fit to perform his rites: "When he was gone it would be as if God in all this space between the sea and the mountains ceased to exist. Wasn't it his duty to stay, even if they despised him, even if they were murdered for his sake? even if they were corrupted by his example?"

As his sins and dangers increase, the broken priest comes to confront the nature of piety and love. Still, when he is granted a reprieve, he feels himself sliding into the old arrogance, slipping it on like the black gloves he used to wear. Greene has drawn this man--and all he encounters--vividly and viscerally. He may have said The Power and the Glory was "written to a thesis," but this brilliant theological thriller has far more mysteries--and troubling ideals--than certainties. --Joannie Kervran Stangeland

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:50 -0400)

The last priest in a poor section of North Mexico where the Red Shirts have outlawed God finds himself a hero despite himself.

Legacy Library: Graham Greene

Graham Greene has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Graham Greene's legacy profile.

See Graham Greene's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,502,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible