Possum magic by Mem Fox

Possum magic (original 1983; edition 1983)

by Mem Fox

When Grandma Poss's magic turns Hush invisible, the two possums take a culinary tour of Australia to find the food that will make her visible once more.
Member:LilyBethany
Title:Possum magic
Authors:Mem Fox
Info:Adelaide : Omnibus Books, 1983.

Possum Magic by Mem Fox (1983)

English (55)  Finnish (1)  All languages (56)
I never understood the hype with this one, even as a small child. I think it's great that there's such a well-loved book that's distinctly Australian, but it doesn't do it for me at all personally.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
I heard Mem being interviewed on TV a while ago. She said that if you didn't have time as parents to read several books a day to your children (meaning picture books, as you might imagine) you should have had gold fish instead.

I anxiously rang my mother the next day. 'Did you read to us when we were that little?' - too little to remember? She reacted a bit like she'd been asked if she abused us. 'Of course we read to you when you were little', sounding a bit shocked that I'd even wondered.

Not surprisingly, maybe, since my mother taught with Mem when we were little and in fact Mem gave us elocution lessons while we were in primary school. My parents thought we should have all these extra things in our lives, but we were just as poor as poor could be, so if somebody like a schoolteaching mate could be called upon to get involved, so much the better. She was a dramatic, vivacious teacher.

Much later on, about 1980, when I was twenty or so, a girl who used to cast for the famous sex soap opera No. 96 in the early seventies, said she wished she could have used my voice. I've always wondered if that was due to, or despite, Mem's lessons. And if she would have considered this a success or a failure. ( )
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
  Louijay | Apr 28, 2020 |
illustrations are cool!! the repition is good.
  Graceerskine | Feb 28, 2020 |
$12.00
  CapitalCityPCS | Sep 20, 2019 |

Mem Foxprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vivas, JulieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Chloë
Once upon a time, but not very long ago, deep in the Australian bush lived two possums.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,479,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible