Wishin' and Hopin': A Christmas…

Wishin' and Hopin': A Christmas Story (2010)

by Wally Lamb

I finally finished this one last night. I was not too impressed. It was slightly humorous throughout the entire book. I smiled a couple of times until I got to the end when he was wrapping up the story and the characters when, it seemed to me, that Lamb was taking the opportunity to solicit for a well known charity.

The whole story is centered around a parochial elementary school in 1964/65 school year. I believe that our main character is in the 5th grade. So, there is a lot of elementary school humor and humor at the expense of a couple of the nuns.

If Lamb was just wanting to do a lite hearted Christmas book, it did not work for me and I think that he missed the mark. I would not recommend this one. Save your money or make a donation to 'your' favorite charity. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
Wally Lamb's publisher asked if he could write a children's book and this is what he produced.

It's the story of a fifth grader named Felix Funicello in the 1960's; his anticipation of Christmas and the production of a Christmas pageant.

It has its funny moments. And it has its original moments – Felix's cousin is Annette Funicello, America's Sweetheart, and Felix's mother is in a cringe-worthy national cook-off.

The writing is good; I've read several others by Mr. Lamb that I've enjoyed. This one however, lacks a spark, a vision. He's proven that given a request he can write a commercially successful book about the subject.

I have a shelf of Christmas books I reread almost every year. While this was an OK read, it won't be added to it. ( )
  streamsong | Jan 10, 2018 |
A charming and funny nostalgic holiday story wonderfully read on audio by the author. ( )
  katiekrug | Dec 21, 2017 |
I really enjoyed the time period and the setting. Having gone to a parochial school during the 60s, there was a lot I could relate to. (Although some of these kids were a bit more bold than any of us would ever have dared!) It was a fun blast from the past and I enjoyed reading the pop cultural references, some of which I had nearly forgotten. IMO the book is worth the read for the hilarious laugh-out-loud funny pageant at the end. A fun book that has earned a permanent place on my Christmas bookshelf.

Update: re-read in December, 2010 for book club and it was just as funnay and enjoyable as the first time. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
What a delightful book this is! Baby Boomers should enjoy the many memories of their childhood years in these pages. A charming tale told by a charming kid. Humor throughout. I recommend this if you need a lighthearted break from heavier reading. The author did a great job with the varied characters. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
For Chris, a happier 1964. And for my sisters (DNA-wise and otherwise) -- Vita, Gail, Ethel.
The year I was a fifth-grade student at St. Aloysius Gonzaga Parochial School, our teacher, Sister Dymphna, had a nervous breakdown in front of our class.

"Set in the fictional town of Three Rivers, Connecticut, the story of fifth grader Felix Funicello in the months leading up to Christmas 1964"--Provided by publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,241,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible