The White Castle: A Novel by Orhan Pamuk

The White Castle: A Novel (original 1985; edition 1998)

by Orhan Pamuk (Author)

When a young Italian scholar is captured by the Turkish fleet and brought to Istanbul, he becomes the slave of an erudite man who could pass for his twin.
Member:mariel_eliz
Title:The White Castle: A Novel
Authors:Orhan Pamuk (Author)
Info:Vintage (1998), Edition: Reprint, 176 pages

The White Castle by Orhan Pamuk (1985)

Snow by Orhan Pamuk (nushret)
    Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian (unlucky)
    The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie (edwinbcn)
    edwinbcn: A magical story set against the background of the near-east.

English (21)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Latvian (1)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (31)
started to annoy me about 3/4 of the way through. Not sure if it was the audio-book narrator or the continued references to this or that person who was just like me or not like me. It reads like an allegorical novel without much depth.
  soraxtm | Jun 18, 2019 |
Brilliant, again, as always.....Orhan! A mind-bending story of identity, of dreams, of the schism between Eastern belief and Western discoveries. This will stick with me for a long time to come. Pamuk's writing, his plot, his ability to layer theme upon theme, is extraordinary! Can you tell I am a huge fan? ( )
  hemlokgang | Jun 23, 2016 |
Novel pertama tulisan Orhan Pamuk yang diterjemahkan ke bahasa inggeris ini saya baca dan habiskan di balik latar Gunung Kinabalu. Jadi walaupun agak berat dan berpusing-pusing penceritaanya, suasana gunung yang indah itu membantu saya terjun dalam cerita secara nyaman dan tidak tergesa-gesa.

Temanya tetang identiti, psikologi dan pencarian makna diri. Penceritaannya tentang perhubungan dua orang lelaki timur dan barat. Bermula sebagai tuan-hamba, hubungan itu menjadi semakin kompleks sehinga berlaku seolah-olah pertukaran identiti bahkan menjadi orang yang sama.

Persoalan-persoalan bersifat falsafah yang mendasari tema buku ini membuatkan pembacaan buku ini tidak semudah yang dijangka (saya menjangka dapat habiskan dengan mudah kerana hanya /- 170 muka surat sahaja). Latar penceritaan zaman Turki abad ke-17 itu membantu menaikkan mode penceritaan. ( )
  aziz_zabidi | Dec 5, 2015 |
Had to force myself to finish this, thankfully it was short. One of those books that makes me feel unintellectual as I could see what the author was aiming for with otherness, identity etc but it was a real slog for me to get through. I was disappointed by how tedious I found it. ( )
  aine.fin | Feb 24, 2015 |
I understand that the author has won a Nobel Prize for literature and that it is said he is regarded as being very good at what he does. This particular book simply did not do it for me, however. I understand the deeper meaning of what the book holds, I thought the narrator's glimpse into his own soul by watching the mirror image of himself in his captor was really a very good idea, but I just couldn't find myself caught up in the story the way I wanted to be. It isn't a long book and yet it took me a lot longer to read it than normal, because I simply couldn't get my attention on the text. There is probably a cultural element in that, but I also feel as if not as much was done with the great idea as could have been done to make this a really excellent book. ( )
  mirrani | Jun 15, 2014 |

Meyer, AliCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miró, CarlesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyytäjä, KaleviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Феонова, ВераTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To imagine that a person who intrigues us has access to a way of life unknown and all the more attractive for its mystery, to believe that we will begin to live only through the love of that person - what else is this but the birth of great passion?

- Marcel Proust, from the mistranslation of Y. K. Karaosmanoglu
For Nilgun Darvinoglu
a loving sister
(1961-1980)
We were sailing from Venice to Naples when the Turkish fleet appeared.
I found this manuscript in 1982 in that forgotten 'archive' attached to the governor's office in Gebze that I used to rummage through for a week each summer, at the bottom of a dusty chest stuffed to overflowing with imperial decrees, title deeds, court registers and tax rolls. (Preface)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,309,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible