The World's Religions: Our Great Wisdom…

The World's Religions: Our Great Wisdom Traditions (edition 1991)

by Huston Smith (Author)

Huston Smith's masterpiece explores the essential elements and teachings of the world's predominant faiths, including Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and the native traditions of Australia, Africa, Oceania, and the Americas. Emphasizing the inner--rather than the institutional--dimension of these religions, Smith devotes special attention to Zen and Tibetan Buddhism, Sufism, and the teachings of Jesus. He convincingly conveys the unique appeal and gifts of each of the traditions and reveals their hold on the human heart and imagination.… (more)
Member:jbpjackson
Title:The World's Religions: Our Great Wisdom Traditions
Authors:Huston Smith (Author)
Info:HarperOne (1991), Edition: Rev Rep, 399 pages

The World's Religions: Our Great Wisdom Traditions by Huston Smith

Recently added byRobert_Musil, UUFD, JDR7, pilgrim99, AlexiaR, readsreads, private library, Maya47Bob46, MLindaMorris
Legacy LibrariesDavid Foster Wallace

Good intro to religious studies ( )
  Chickenman | Sep 12, 2018 |
An excellent book outlining the major world religions and their more prominent denominations. A good starting point when first learning about religions in general, each religion getting a brief overview but still enough detail to see a bit of depth in each. ( )
  Kronomlo | Jan 8, 2018 |
This is a handy introduction to the world religions for a basic religions course.

The author is very strong on prescribing four paths to the Goal in Hinduism, the way to God through love, or Bhakti, the stages of life, explaining the caste system and how it works.
  gmicksmith | Jan 1, 2018 |
Classic in the field. Important basic information.
DS
  NetivotLibrary | Aug 9, 2017 |
Excellent, excellent intro into the fundamentals of the major world religious traditions. ( )
  BlackAsh13 | Jan 30, 2016 |
When I behold the sacred liao* wo my thoughts return
To those who begot me, raised me, and now are tired.
I would repay the bounty they have given me,
But it is as the sky: it can never be approached.

*A species of grass symbolizing parenthood.
To ALICE LONGDEN SMITH

and

WESLEY MORELAND SMITH

Missionaries to China for forty-one years
Several people have written books about the world's religions. Please do not combine with works by other authors.

Original 1958 Title, The Religions of Man (a seperate LT work).
Revised 1991 Edition, The World’s Religions: Our Great Wisdom Traditions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,347,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible