Ulysses by J Joyce

Ulysses (1922)

by J Joyce

21,068300136 (4.03)5 / 1408
Presents a recording of the novel which describes the adventures and exploits of Leopold Bloom as he wanders through Dublin on a single day, June 16, 1904. Set within the context of Homer's Odyssey, Joyce uses stream of consciousness as a literary device to illuminate the internal thoughts of Bloom, his wife, Molly, and other assorted characters.… (more)
Member:garym1031
Title:Ulysses
Authors:J Joyce
Info:
Tags:Literature, BOMC

Work Information

Ulysses by James Joyce (1922)

The Odyssey by Homer (_eskarina, chrisharpe)
    _eskarina: Joyce himself recommended Homer's epos to get better insight and understanding of Ulysses.
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (ZenMaintenance)
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (browner56)
    browner56: You will either love them both or hate them both, but you will probably need a reader's guide to get through either one--I know I did.
    The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil (roby72)
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (ateolf)
    The Bloomsday Book by Harry Blamires (bokai)
    bokai: The Bloomsday Book is a book length summary of James Joyce's Ulysses. It informs the reader of the general plot, of particular references in Ulysses to events in other books (most usually Dubliners)and includes a minimum of commentary, usually focusing on the religious aspects of the novel. For someone reading Ulysses with a limited knowledge of Joyce, Ireland, or Catholicism, this book may be the deciding factor in their enjoyment of the novel itself.… (more)
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (roby72)
    Berlin Alexanderplatz by Alfred Döblin (rrmmff2000)
    rrmmff2000: Both books of a man in a city, celebrating human life in all its variety, and revelling in language.
    Shakespeare and Company by Sylvia Beach (andejons)
    andejons: For those who want to read about how the book was published (and other details about Joyce's life in Paris)
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (roby72)
    The most dangerous book: the battle for James Joyce's Ulysses by Kevin Birmingham (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: The (Non-fiction) story behind the novel's publication and its struggles with censorship.
    Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (Othemts)
    To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway (ateolf)
    Omeros by Derek Walcott (TheLittlePhrase)
    Ducks, Newburyport by Lucy Ellmann (aprille)
    aprille: Ellmann is the daughter of Joyce scholar Richard Ellmann and Ducks, Newburyport (shortlisted for the Booker) is 21st-century American housewife's stream of consciousness with more contemporary cultural allusions
    J R by William Gaddis (chrisharpe)
    The Death of Virgil by Hermann Broch (chrisharpe)
    James Joyce: Portrait of a Dubliner by Alfonso Zapico (drasvola)
    drasvola: This book is a graphic narration of Joyce's life. It's in Spanish. Very well done and informative about Joyce's troubled relation with society, his work and family relationships.
    Stephen Hero by James Joyce (KayCliff)
    Modernism: The Lure of Heresy by Peter Gay (charlie68, charlie68)
    charlie68: Book has section on Modernism in literature that includes a section on Ulysses.
    charlie68: A section deals in criticism of James Joyce and specifically Ulysses.

Books (59)
1920s (2)

English (266)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (5)  Italian (5)  Catalan (4)  German (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Portuguese (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (300)
I have been meaning to read this book for years, and I made a resolution to myself that I would tackle it at the end of this year. Well, in my entire life, I don't think that I ever said this, but this book defeated me. It is supposed to be a marvel of early 20th century literature, and is touted to arguably be the best English literature book ever written. I really tried, but I was totally lost from the first page. I persevered. I pushed and pushed far harder than I have ever done, but at about 30% of the way through, I just shut it, and put it away. I do admit the writing is incredible, and his symbolism and realism is off the charts, but I just couldn't seem to put it into any semblance of order in my mind. Perhaps I should have read this with a much younger brain than I have right now. Perhaps I should have done more research and read a Coles notes version or a summary to help me before I started. I'm not sure what would have helped me. It may just be a book that is written with subject matter that doesn't appeal to me. Who know, maybe reading it high on some kind of drug might have helped, but since I don't take drugs that option for trial is not open for me. Anyway, I came, I saw, but I sadly did not conquer this book. A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man and The Dubliners were great books, and I loved both of them. I'll leave my James Joyce experience to those two books, and sadly file this one away. ( )
  Romonko | Dec 17, 2021 |
  revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
  revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
Did it flow?
Yes. From Roundwood reservoir in county Wicklow of a cubic capacity of 2400 million gallons, percolating through a subterranean aqueduct of filter mains of single and double pipeage constructed at an initial plant cost of £ 5 per linear yard by way of the Dargle, Rathdown, Glen of the Downs and Callowhill to the 26 acre reservoir at Stillorgan, a distance of 22 statute miles, and thence, through a system of relieving tanks, by a gradient of 250 feet to the city boundary at Eustace bridge, upper Leeson street, though from prolonged summer drouth and daily supply of 12 1/2 million gallons the water had fallen below the sill of the overflow weir for which reason the borough surveyor and waterworks engineer, Mr Spencer Harty, C. E., on the instructions of the waterworks committee had prohibited the use of municipal water for purposes other than those of consumption (envisaging the possibility of recourse being had to the impotable water of the Grand and Royal canals as in 1893) particularly as the South Dublin Guardians, notwithstanding their ration of 15 gallons per day per pauper supplied through a 6 inch meter, had been convicted of a wastage of 20,000 gallons per night by a reading of their meter on the affirmation of the law agent of the corporation, Mr Ignatius Rice, solicitor, thereby acting to the detriment of another section of the public, selfsupporting taxpayers, solvent, sound.

Only my fellow irishmen could yammer on this much about nothing. But at least they have a sense of humour and i'm pretty sure this is intentionally funny at times. In fact the whole idea that this is somehow a version of the Odyssey feels like something Joyce made up after he finished writing it as a legpull on the literati.
Plotwise this is your average episode of any British or Irish soap opera. But Joyce manages to keep it (mostly) interesting with varying tricks. The stream of consciousness bits are ok but i really liked the occasional medieval or otherwise archaic filters put on certain sections.

It ends a bit weakly i only really enjoyed one of the last 3 chapters. But I do like hard to categorize works and you can't say Joyce didn't throw everything he could at this one.
Also it was a pretty quick read by simple virtue of the text flowing like water or like a train, no real natural stopping place before you hit a chapter end.

I did have some online notes https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Annotations_to_James_Joyce's_Ulysses/Contents but quickly gave up consulting them. This really isn't the sort of work in which your expected to know what each sentence or reference means, although being from Dublin i might have had a natural advantage, but really you get what most of it means simply by context so its fine.
It felt like keeping the rhythm and flow of the reading was of greater concern than knowing what every reference or line meant.

Overall.... its an experience :) . ( )
  wreade1872 | Nov 28, 2021 |
The real life inverse of a novel like lord of the rings. Supremely epic. UK brotherhood. ( )
  jasperhavens | Nov 23, 2021 |
For readers to whom books are an important means of learning about life, it stands preeminent above modern rivals as one of the most monumental works of the human intelligence.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 29, 1934)

During the one exciting day in Dublin, Joyce turns the mind of Bloom inside out. The history of Ireland comes to us in refracted rays. Through Stephen Dedalus we are introduced to Joyce's own profound spiritual uneasiness, his sense of loss, his hatred of the pragmatic commercial ethic, his need for the moorings and soundings of the medieval Catholic synthesis, his mental honesty that won't permit him to accept a religion, no matter what its appeal, so long as his intelligence tells him it is a figment of dream.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, John Chamberlain (pay site) (Jan 25, 1934)

Joyce, Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a concordance

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.
History, Stephen said, is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.
Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
The bard’s noserag! A new art colour for our Irish
poets: snotgreen. You can almost taste it, can’t you?
With?
Sinbad the Sailor and Tinbad the Tailor and Jinbad the
Jailer and Whinbad the Whaler and Ninbad the Nailer and
Finbad the Failer and Binbad the Bailer and Pinbad the
Pailer and Minbad the Mailer and Hinbad the Hailer and
Rinbad the Railer and Dinbad the Kailer and Vinbad the
Quailer and Linbad the Yailer and Xinbad the Phthailer.
As we, or mother Dana, weave and unweave our bodies, Stephen said, from day to day, their molecules shuttled to and fro, so does the artist weave and unweave his image.... In the intense instant of imagination, when the mind, Shelley says, is a fading coal, that which I was is that which I am and that which in possibility I may come to be. So in the future, the sister of the past, I may see myself as I sit here now but by reflection from that which I then shall be.

Grad student door stop.
Tree that I would never see
One hand clapping ‘yes’.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

Current discussions

Thornwillow's Ulysses in Fine Press Forum

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182806, 0141197412

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,961,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible