Ulysses (Oxford World's Classics) by James…

Ulysses (Oxford World's Classics) (original 1922; edition 1998)

by James Joyce, Jeri Johnson (Editor)

18,691263127 (4.04)4 / 1318
Member:Echt_Geil
Title:Ulysses (Oxford World's Classics)
Authors:James Joyce
Other authors:Jeri Johnson (Editor)
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (1998), Paperback, 1056 pages

Ulysses by James Joyce (1922)

The Odyssey by Homer (_eskarina, chrisharpe)
    _eskarina: Joyce himself recommended Homer's epos to get better insight and understanding of Ulysses.
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (ZenMaintenance)
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (browner56)
    browner56: You will either love them both or hate them both, but you will probably need a reader's guide to get through either one--I know I did.
    The Man Without Qualities by Robert Musil (roby72)
    Moby Dick by Herman Melville (ateolf)
    The Bloomsday Book by Harry Blamires (bokai)
    bokai: The Bloomsday Book is a book length summary of James Joyce's Ulysses. It informs the reader of the general plot, of particular references in Ulysses to events in other books (most usually Dubliners)and includes a minimum of commentary, usually focusing on the religious aspects of the novel. For someone reading Ulysses with a limited knowledge of Joyce, Ireland, or Catholicism, this book may be the deciding factor in their enjoyment of the novel itself.… (more)
    The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne (roby72)
    The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (roby72)
    To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway (ateolf)
    The most dangerous book: the battle for James Joyce's Ulysses by Kevin Birmingham (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: The (Non-fiction) story behind the novel's publication and its struggles with censorship.
    Berlin Alexanderplatz by Alfred Döblin (rrmmff2000)
    rrmmff2000: Both books of a man in a city, celebrating human life in all its variety, and revelling in language.
    J R by William Gaddis (chrisharpe)
    James Joyce: Portrait of a Dubliner by Alfonso Zapico (drasvola)
    drasvola: This book is a graphic narration of Joyce's life. It's in Spanish. Very well done and informative about Joyce's troubled relation with society, his work and family relationships.
    The Death of Virgil by Hermann Broch (chrisharpe)
    Shakespeare and Company by Sylvia Beach (andejons)
    andejons: For those who want to read about how the book was published (and other details about Joyce's life in Paris)
    Station Island by Seamus Heaney (kara.shamy)
    The Sleepwalkers by Hermann Broch (thecoroner)
    Modernism: The Lure of Heresy by Peter Gay (charlie68, charlie68)
    charlie68: Book has section on Modernism in literature that includes a section on Ulysses.
    charlie68: A section deals in criticism of James Joyce and specifically Ulysses.
    Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (Othemts)
    La Medusa by Vanessa Place (fuguette)
    fuguette: Place's work is a free-form experiment tracking the depraved, obsessive, unfiltered thoughts of her characters.

1920s (12)
Books (58)
Europe (145)

English (239)  Spanish (5)  Italian (4)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (263)
6stars? 100? My favorite book? Kinda. The book I've read the most? Definitely. This is a book you can read 10, 20 times and get something new out of it each time. There are dozens of books written about this book, and they add something too, but the thing itself is (really) thoroughly enjoyable. Still shocking in form after all these years, this is as good as a novel can be. ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
After toiling away at this book for the last several months, I thought I should write something here. I took the liberty of reading the Cliff's Notes of this book at the same time, reading one chapter of Ulysses and then reading the corresponding chapter in the notes. I did this because 1) I'm not Irish, 2) I didn't live in Dublin in the early 1900s, and 3) I don't have the Odyssey memorized. Without the notes I would have gotten almost nothing out of the book, but with the notes I barely still understand it. The Notes makes it pretty apparent that reading his other works would have filled in some of the backstory, so I was at a disadvantage from the start. With classics, I always try to see what made the work a classic, but with Ulysses it's hard to see. The work was groundbreaking in the themes it brought up that never had been discussed so thoroughly before in literature, namely women's sexuality (it was banned in every English speaking country for obscenity, and for over a decade in the United States), but aside from that it's hard to see why it's a classic, let alone considered the best English-speaking novel of the 20th century by the Modern Library. Joyce was no doubt a literary genius, but those 783 pages belie its true length. The last chapter alone is 40 pages consisting of one sentence, without any punctuation save the final period. Groundbreaking? Yes. Enjoyable? No.

The final thing I takeaway from this book is that I am certain that I will never encounter another work that is so difficult to read for as long as I live. ( )
  Terrencee | May 8, 2019 |
Instead of reading the paper book I listened to the audio version (unabriged). I must say, that I didn't really find in the book what the blurp was telling me about it. Maybe because I'm not familiar with the place the setting is in, maybe I missed things that were vital to understand the book and it's setting.
I'm not fond of this one. Happy to be done with it! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Apr 20, 2019 |
I tried. I didn't get very far. I didn't even make it through Episode 1. Ticking through my brain was 'Shutupshutupshutup. SHUT UP!' It reminded me of the last time I attempted to read Hemingway, emotionally stunted misogynist that he is.

I'm not wasting anymore time on this. I'm not going to enjoy it, and there are far too many other books on my bucket-list that I will enjoy.
1 vote authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Oh, that, "apathy of the stars." I am wistful and amazed.

P.S. I have since read texts by Julian Rios and Enrique Vila-Matas who devoted novelistic approaches to Ulysses that ultimately steer the reader back to Bloom and Dedalus. I know of no other groundswell that continues to percolate and excite. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
For readers to whom books are an important means of learning about life, it stands preeminent above modern rivals as one of the most monumental works of the human intelligence.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jan 29, 1934)

During the one exciting day in Dublin, Joyce turns the mind of Bloom inside out. The history of Ireland comes to us in refracted rays. Through Stephen Dedalus we are introduced to Joyce's own profound spiritual uneasiness, his sense of loss, his hatred of the pragmatic commercial ethic, his need for the moorings and soundings of the medieval Catholic synthesis, his mental honesty that won't permit him to accept a religion, no matter what its appeal, so long as his intelligence tells him it is a figment of dream.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, John Chamberlain (pay site) (Jan 25, 1934)

Joyce, Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a concordance

Has as a student's study guide

Bloom ( [2003]IMDb)
Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead, bearing a bowl of lather on which a mirror and a razor lay crossed.
History, Stephen said, is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.
Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
Grad student door stop.
Tree that I would never see
One hand clapping ‘yes’.
(SomeGuyInVirginia)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679722769, Paperback)

Ulysses has been labeled dirty, blasphemous, and unreadable. In a famous 1933 court decision, Judge John M. Woolsey declared it an emetic book--although he found it sufficiently unobscene to allow its importation into the United States--and Virginia Woolf was moved to decry James Joyce's "cloacal obsession." None of these adjectives, however, do the slightest justice to the novel. To this day it remains the modernist masterpiece, in which the author takes both Celtic lyricism and vulgarity to splendid extremes. It is funny, sorrowful, and even (in a close-focus sort of way) suspenseful. And despite the exegetical industry that has sprung up in the last 75 years, Ulysses is also a compulsively readable book. Even the verbal vaudeville of the final chapters can be navigated with relative ease, as long as you're willing to be buffeted, tickled, challenged, and (occasionally) vexed by Joyce's sheer command of the English language.

Among other things, a novel is simply a long story, and the first question about any story is: What happens?. In the case of Ulysses, the answer might be Everything. William Blake, one of literature's sublime myopics, saw the universe in a grain of sand. Joyce saw it in Dublin, Ireland, on June 16, 1904, a day distinguished by its utter normality. Two characters, Stephen Dedalus and Leopold Bloom, go about their separate business, crossing paths with a gallery of indelible Dubliners. We watch them teach, eat, stroll the streets, argue, and (in Bloom's case) masturbate. And thanks to the book's stream-of-consciousness technique--which suggests no mere stream but an impossibly deep, swift-running river--we're privy to their thoughts, emotions, and memories. The result? Almost every variety of human experience is crammed into the accordian folds of a single day, which makes Ulysses not just an experimental work but the very last word in realism.

Both characters add their glorious intonations to the music of Joyce's prose. Dedalus's accent--that of a freelance aesthetician, who dabbles here and there in what we might call Early Yeats Lite--will be familiar to readers of Portrait of an Artist As a Young Man. But Bloom's wistful sensualism (and naive curiosity) is something else entirely. Seen through his eyes, a rundown corner of a Dublin graveyard is a figure for hope and hopelessness, mortality and dogged survival: "Mr Bloom walked unheeded along his grove by saddened angels, crosses, broken pillars, family vaults, stone hopes praying with upcast eyes, old Ireland's hearts and hands. More sensible to spend the money on some charity for the living. Pray for the repose of the soul of. Does anybody really?" --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:10 -0400)

This account of several lower class citizens of Dublin describes their activities and tells what some of them were thinking one day in 1904.

Legacy Library: James Joyce

James Joyce has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See James Joyce's legacy profile.

See James Joyce's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182806, 0141197412

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,412,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible