A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America…

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail (1997)

by Bill Bryson

Traces the author's adventurous trek along the Appalachian Trail past its natural pleasures, human eccentrics, and offbeat comforts.

English (399)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (409)
Started strong, then the last third seemed like it was forced and filler. ( )
  Philthy | Jan 9, 2020 |
This books holds a special place in my heart. My dad LOVED to hike and spent a great deal of time hiking and volunteering on the Appalachian Trail before his death a few years ago. I enjoyed seeing a little slice of the trail life through this book. It’s well written, witty, and thoughtful as is any Bill Bryson book. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
This is really a story of two people experiencing the Appalachian Trail together over a period of months. While there is quite a bit of material on the trail itself, the real heart of the story is the connection between the friends. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 26, 2019 |
I read and love anything Bill Bryson writes. This book has convinced me not to attempt the AT yet. But HAS inspired me to hike the Massachusetts Midstate Trail! ( )
  Zaiga | Sep 23, 2019 |
Three stars for the story and occasional humor. One star for the environmental consciousness. I have a low tolerance for nature books in which the authors trash nature. The hikers repeatedly throw their trash and extra gear off cliffs. They toss cans and bottles into the underbrush. They smoke along the trail, dropping their cigarette butts. This is from the start of the story all the way to the end in Maine, and I couldn't tolerate it. Cheryl Strayed's book "Wild" has a similar problem. ( )
  breic | Sep 11, 2019 |
Bryson's breezy, self-mocking tone may turn off readers who hanker for another ''Into Thin Air'' or ''Seven Years in Tibet.'' Others, however, may find themselves turning the pages with increasing amusement and anticipation as they discover that they're in the hands of a satirist of the first rank, one who writes (and walks) with Chaucerian brio.

[Bryson] was often exhausted, his ''brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below.'' The reader, by contrast, is rarely anything but exhilarated. And you don't have to take a step.

Bryson, Billprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goddijn, ServaasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roberts, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Katz,
of course.
Not long after I moved with my family to a small town in New Hampshire I happened upon a path that vanished into a wood on the edge of town.
But always the wandering trail ran on.
“You all right?” I said. “Oh, peachy,” he replied. “Just peachy. I don’t know why they couldn’t have put some crocodiles in here and made a real adventure of it.”
The book to which I refer is Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance by a Canadian academic named Stephen Herrero. If this is not the last word on the subject, the I really, really, really do not wish to hear the last word. [Chapter 2]
Black bears rarely attack. But here's the thing. Sometimes they do. All bears are agile, cunning, and immensely strong, and they are always hungry. If they want to kill you and eat you, they can, and pretty much whenever they want. That doesn't happen often, but -- and here is the absolutely salient point -- once would be enough. [Chapter 2]
I wanted very much to be calmed by these assurances but could never quite manage the necessary leap of faith. After noting that just 500 people were attacked and hurt by black bears between 1960 and 1980 -- twenty-five attacks from a resident population of at least half a million bears -- Herrero adds that most of these injuries were not severe. "The typical black bear-inflicted injury," he writes blandly, "is minor and usually involves only a few scratches or light bites." Pardon me, but what exactly is a light bite? Are we talking a playful wrestle and gummy nips? I think not. And is 500 certified attacks really such a modest number, considering how few people go into the North American woods? And how foolish must one be to be reassured by the information that no bear has killed a human being in Vermont or New Hampshire in 200 years? That's not because the bears have signed a treaty, you know. There's nothing to say they won't start a modest rampage tomorrow. [Chapter 2]
ISBNs 0552152153 and 0553455923 (or 9780553455922) refer to abridged versions. Please do not combine with unabridged works.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bill Bryson's book A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,729,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible