Lincoln at Gettysburg: The Words That Remade America (1992)

by Garry Wills

Examination of the Gettysburg Address and Lincoln in their historical moment and cultural frame breathing new life into the words and revealing much about the President.

$5.
  susangeib | Oct 31, 2023 |
Detailed. Complex. Enlightening. It requires careful reading. ( )
1 vote Michael_Lilly | Mar 8, 2023 |
Detailed and thorough, if dense at times and, perhaps, bordering on pedantic. I came to this examination of Lincoln's famous speech as I was re-reading Shelby Foote's Civil War: A Narrative, and I wanted to dig deeper into the address itself. Boy, did I dig deeper. ( )
  markburris | Jul 11, 2021 |
I wish the entire text had been similar to the final chapter "Revolution in Style" where the author spent time looking at sentence construction, brevity, grammar, stuff like that. The previous 100 pages were really mostly about the political environment. The level of scholarship is undeniable, but it was a bit of a yawner for me, though I like Garry Wills's other work such as "Nixon Agonistes." ( )
  shaundeane | Sep 13, 2020 |
If you're interested in the language of the civil war era and why it was considered the age of great orators, this is a fantastic book to read. It is a bit dry in nature, but I was completely fascinated by it. Includes the entire or partial texts of many of Lincoln's speeches as well as those of some of his contempories. Explains in detail why the Gettysburg address became such an important moment in history. ( )
  Melynn1104 | Jun 28, 2017 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Great Expectations Bookstore, second home
Not all the gallantry of General Lee can redeem, quite, his foolhardiness at Gettysburg.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,796,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible