Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi…

Half of a Yellow Sun (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Author)

4,7682421,425 (4.14)1 / 1090
Member:artistlibrarian
Title:Half of a Yellow Sun
Authors:Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Author)
Info:(2006)
Collections:fiction
Rating:***
Tags:African, woman author, historical fiction

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2006)

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (mrstreme)
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (2810michael)
    The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2810michael)
    2810michael: På dansk: En halv gul sol
    There Was A Country: A Personal History of Biafra by Chinua Achebe (chazzard)
    A Sunday at the Pool in Kigali by Gil Courtemanche (imyril)
    imyril: Another difficult novel of modern Africa, focusing on the Nigeria civil war and the Biafra famine rather than Rwanda.
    Ancestor Stones by Aminatta Forna (cbl_tn)
    Little Bee: A Novel by Chris Cleave (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The stories of a impoverished countryside boy and two upper-class sisters are told against the backdrop of the 1960s Biafran War. This book, by one of Nigeria's most famous authors, should appeal to readers interested in Nigeria's history, Nigerian society and the lives of women in Nigeria.… (more)
    Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (Iudita)
    Never Again (Africa Women Writers Series) by Flora Nwapa (goddesspt2)
    goddesspt2: Cited by Adichie in her Author's Note.
    Sunset at Dawn by Vincent Chukwuemeka Ike (goddesspt2)
    goddesspt2: A novel about the Biafra war. Cited by Adichie in her Author's Note.
    The Baobabs of Tete and Other Stories by Kari Dako (WorldreaderBCN)
    The Ghost of Sani Abacha by Chuma Nwokolo (WorldreaderBCN)
    Graceland by Chris Abani (wandering_star)

English (222)  Danish (4)  Swedish (4)  Finnish (4)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (242)
I'm glad I read this book. Despite the heavy subject of (civil) war, it was a very interesting read.
Politics and war and their consequences are well mixed with emotions like love, the need to belong, hatred, trust, betrayal, all these voiced through a group of characters that center around Olanna and her twin sister Kainene.

For me the book brought back childhood memories. Pictures of news items I saw on television about the war, the starving children. Also voices of class mates in elementary school making cruel jokes about the starvation.

I read this book with great interest. It will linger on for quite a while, I think. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Nov 3, 2018 |
Een prachtig geschreven boek met eigenlijk twee verhaallijnen: de oorlog en hongersnood in Biafra en de relatie tussen de twee zussen Kainene en Olanna. Ik vond het erg somber, erg heftig en was zelfs geneigd om er mee op te houden. Uiteindelijk ben ik toch blij dat ik het heb uitgelezen. Maar van Amerikanah heb ik meer genoten. ( )
  elsmvst | Oct 28, 2018 |
Wow. Beautifully written, brought me to the verge of tears repeatedly, yet also made me laugh out loud on a couple occasions. The author misled me twice without ever using an unreliable narrator - letting my own expectations get in the way, allowing the reader build on false assumptions until casually revealing the truth behind certain passages. I adore that. This book deserves a real review, which hopefully I will find time to come back and write, but I couldn't put it down without taking a moment to say, at least, "Wow." ( )
  akaGingerK | Oct 2, 2018 |
This is such a remarkable book. Beautifully written, great characters, blah blah blah. The history that Adichie chronicles is so hard to read but there is a resonance in reading about civil war like this and about the tensions that lead to monstrosity, both small and large. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 27, 2018 |
Wow, what a great story with the creation and downfall of Biafra. Adiche tells the story of the creation and the violence of this time in Nigeria through love stories that make the reader feel they have been there. At times I wanted to put the book down, the violence was so horrendous. This history revolves around te tribal loyalties of Muslims and Christians. Of all the books I’ve read about Nigeria, this book is the most memorable. ( )
  brangwinn | Aug 5, 2018 |
While there are disturbing scenes, the writing is superb, and Adichie puts a human face on war-torn Africa. The characters are authentic, the story is compelling. It is a worthwhile read, which will linger in your thoughts long after you turn the last page.

Adichie, Chimamanda Ngoziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andoh, AdjoaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sundström, JoakimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Today I see it still--

Dry, wire-thin in sun and dust of the dry months--

Headstone on tiny debris of passionate courage.--

Chinua Achebe,

From "Mango Seedling" in

Christmas in Biafra and Other Poems
My grandfathers, whom I never knew,
Nwoye David Adichie and Aro-Nweke Felix Odigwe,
did not survive the war.
My grandmothers, Nwabuodu Regina Odigwe and Nwamgbafor Agnes Adiche, remarkable women
both, did.
This book is dedicated to their memories:
ka fa nodu na ndokwa.
And to Mellitus, wherever he may be.
Master was a little crazy; he had spent too many years reading books overseas, talked to himself in his office, did not always return greetings, and had too much hair.
'I am Nigerian because a white man created Nigeria and gave me that identity. I am black because the white man constructed black to be as different as possible from his white. But I was Igbo before the white man came.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0007200285, Paperback)

In 1960s Nigeria, a country blighted by civil war, three lives intersect. Ugwu, a boy from a poor village, works as a houseboy for a university professor. Olanna, a young woman, has abandoned her life of privilege in Lagos to live with her charismatic new lover, the professor. And Richard, a shy English writer, is in thrall to Olanna's enigmatic twin sister. As the horrific Biafran War engulfs them, they are thrown together and pulled apart in ways they had never imagined. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's masterpiece, winner of the Orange Prize for Fiction, is a novel about Africa in a wider sense: about the end of colonialism, ethnic allegiances, class and race - and about the ways in which love can complicate all of these things.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:36 -0400)

A novel set during Nigeria's struggle for independence in the 1960s involving five characters including thirteen-year-old Ugwu, a university professor, the professor's mistress, and a young Englishman named Richard.

New Internationalist

An edition of this book was published by New Internationalist.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,208,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible