Clean Food, Revised Edition: A Seasonal…

Clean Food, Revised Edition: A Seasonal Guide to Eating Close to the… (edition 2012)

by Terry Walters (Author)

"Clean Food" discusses the sustainable diet and offers more than 200 fresh, seasonal, and tempting vegan recipes. Walters shows how to eat seasonal, unprocessed, and locally-grown foods that are good for people and the environment.
Member:dagmar.celeste
Title:Clean Food, Revised Edition: A Seasonal Guide to Eating Close to the Source
Authors:Terry Walters (Author)
Info:Sterling Epicure (2012), Edition: Rev Exp, 368 pages

Clean Food: A Seasonal Guide to Eating Close to the Source with More Than 200 Recipes for a Healthy and Sustainable You by Terry Walters

Kale with Caramelized Shallots, p.160; quite good.
  DromJohn | May 13, 2019 |
This cookbook is great in the sense that it taught me how to be creative with vegetables. I love how the recipes are categorized by season to encourage the reader to utilize local farmer market produce each season. This cookbook also introduced me to several vegetables I had never cooked with and even some I have never tried. You don't have to be a vegan or vegetarian to gain something from this book either. I tend to use meat and dairy products with these recipes to better suit our lifestyle. ( )
  JamieBH | Apr 3, 2018 |
This is a comprehensive book that has non-meat recipes, organized by season. It begins with her over-all approach to eating, which extols clean food (i.e. no processed foods), and in particular, eating only those vegetables in season. Under the section on Basics, she goes into detail about ever ingredient that she uses - herbs, vegetables, oils, nuts - writing about where they originated from, how they are used, and where to find them. Her recipes are easy-to-read and easy to follow. The recipes themselves are excellent, with lots of diverse flavors.

But here is my main issues - while there is plenty of scientific evidence that proves eating less processed foods is healthier, some of her other assertions have no scientific bases at all. She makes several firm assertions against animal protein and several about fat that are simply wrong. The science is shoddy at best. According to the back of the book, she is educated, but none of the institutions mentions seem to be those that concern themselves with hard science. Not a fan.

But I am going to keep the book for the recipes. Even we carnivores need side dishes. ( )
  empress8411 | Sep 30, 2016 |
WHERE ARE THE PHOTOGRAPHS? $30 for a cookbook sans photos? Oh No Way!

Printed on pastel colored paper doesn't make up for anything..... The title font is extra large, bold and a darker color to match the page color, the paragraph under the title is a medium bold font, while the ingredients & instructions are a small regular font (which depending on the color of the page) are sometimes difficult to read.

Contents include: Introduction; Getting started; The Basics; Recipes; & Index.

Getting Started: A cleaner healthier way; Clean food; Eating for balance; & Ways to improve health & well-being.

The Basics: Tools; Basic Cooking methods; Grains; Vegetables; Legumes/Beans; Soy (GMOooooo); Nuts & seeds; Fruit; Notes about Oxalic & Phytic acids; Organic vs Conventional (and she uses soy?); Guide to reading recipes; Commonly used ingredients; and What's that.

Recipes: Spring; Summer; Fall; Winter; and Anytime.....

The reason I haven't listed the actual recipes is two-fold; she didn't make them readily visible and I didn't like the book enough to even care what they are! ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Kudos to short ingredients lists & simple instructions.

I'll try Mixed Berry Couscous Cake. Wish someone else would make the Lemon Berry Cream Pie.
  tmurray | Feb 5, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,301,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible