The Chrysalids by John Wyndham

The Chrysalids (original 1955; edition 1973)

by John Wyndham

Member:ficbot
Title:The Chrysalids
Authors:John Wyndham
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (1973), Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fiction

The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (Author) (1955)

Recently added byrena75, mcountr, DIWalker1960, DKovago, private library
1950s (79)

English (95)  German (1)  All languages (96)
A great coming-of-age-cum-enlightenment novella. This tends more towards YA than science fiction, but don't let that detract from its power. The story revolves around a mind-reading gestalt community and how they survive in an oppressive, religiously conservative society intolerant of anything or anyone abnormal. Similar in some ways to Sturgeon's fix-up More Than Human.

Read as part of A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume 1, an anthology edited by Anthony Boucher. ( )
  jigarpatel | Apr 17, 2019 |
I feel like I've been saving this one as it was the last unread Wyndham novel I had a copy of (there are more I haven't read that I don't own). In theme this is almost a companion novel in theme to The Midwich Cuckoos - in both books a group of children have special abilities but Chrysalids is told from the children's viewpoint and Cuckoos from the viewpoint of the unaffected adults. Wyndham's very good at the slow build-up of tension in what turns out to be a post-apocalyptic dystopia. But he's also good at making the dystopian world quite understated (I think this is one of the reasons why he is so often accused of writing 'cosy catastrophes') which in some ways is more effective. Strongly recommended. ( )
  souloftherose | Nov 6, 2018 |
The heavy-handed evolutionary philosophy gets a bit much--okay, way too much, and you think of a bunch of dusty English baby boomer granddads saying things like "change is life" and "ripeness is all" and being indulged in their outmoded opinions on like immigration--but oh it is laid over the rippingest of yarns. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | May 22, 2018 |
I may have read a Wyndham novel when I was at school, but I’m not entirely sure. I do remember reading one of his collections a few years later – if only because the cover art was a blurry photo of an Airfix model of a Colonial Viper from Battlestar Galactica. From what I recall, the stories were pretty bad. But Wyndham occupies a peculiar position in British sf – considered an important writer in the history of the genre by many, but also widely accepted by the mainstream. Some elements of his novels have even entered British culture, such as the Triffids. The Chrysalids, however, is set in Canada, although it might as well be set in Kent. The Earth has been depopulated by nuclear war, and much of it lies in ruins. In Labrador, in a small farming community, the narrator and seven other kids can all talk to each other telepathically. But they keep it secret, because mutations are ruthlessly culled (if animal) or exiled (if human), although the latter do sometimes have a tendency to turn up dead. Unfortunately, the secret gets out when the narrator is in his late teens/early twenties, Chiefly thanks to his very young sister, who is an extremely powerful telepath, so powerful in fact that she can just about hear the thoughts of people in New Zealand… which comes in useful as New Zealand is apparently a near-utopia for telepaths, and they’re sending a mission to Labrador to rescue the mutant teenagers. But not before the teenagers have been chased into the badlands and have witnessed a battle between the farmers and the mutants. Of course, radiation doesn’t cause hereditary mutation, we know that now, although perhaps they didn’t in the 1950s. The whole “keeping the genome pure” thing is also policed using religion, leading to some all too plausible – and sadly common, even now – Bible-backed bigotry. The narrator’s father is an especially big arsehole in that regard. And yet… it all feels very Home counties. For all the regard in which Wyndham is held, he’s never been an important figure in my map of science fiction, UK-only or Anglophone; and I’ve yet to be convinced he should be considered as important as he is. ( )
  iansales | Jan 12, 2018 |
Post-apocalyptic world where deviation is pushed to the fringes. A small group of people deviate in an invisible way and must escape. ( )
  brakketh | Oct 19, 2017 |
Wyndham lumbers his characters with some verbose, pompous speeches about human nature, but his points are still interesting and as relevant today as when he wrote the book in 1955. It's also a ripping adventure.
added by andyl | editThe Observer, Alice Fisher (Dec 7, 2008)

Wyndham, JohnAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Powell, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Powers, Richard M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Priest, ChristopherIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I was quite small I would sometimes dream of a city -- which was strange because it began before I even knew what a city was.
There was the power of gods in the hands of children, we know: but were they MAD children, all of them quite mad?
The essential quality of life is living; the essential quality of living is change; change is evolution: and we are part of it.
No one would dream of mentioning [childbirth] openly until the inspector should have called to issue his certificate that it was a human baby in the true image. Should it unhappily turn out to violate the image and thus be ineligible for a certificate, everyone would continue to be unaware of it, and the whole regrettable incident would be deemed not to have occurred.
Re-Birth is the US title of The Chrysalids.

In the community of Waknuk it is believed mutants are the products of the Devil and must be stamped out. When David befriends a girl with a slight abnormality, he begins to understand the nature of fear and oppression. When he develops his own deviation, he must learn to conceal his secret.

First pub. 1955. Science fiction takes place many centuries after a devastation nuclear war. Enclaves of life are cut off from one another by vast areas of radiation contamination.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Wyndham's book The Chrysalids was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141181478, 0141032979, 0141045434

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,629,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible