The Sexual Life of Catherine M. by Catherine…

The Sexual Life of Catherine M. (2001)

by Catherine Millet

990None8,650 (2.7)12
autobiographical (7) autobiography (56) Belletristik (5) biography (38) Catherine Millet (4) erotica (67) eroticism (6) Erotik (14) fiction (26) France (32) French (21) French literature (15) literature (8) memoir (60) Millet (5) NF (4) non-fiction (53) novel (11) own (4) paperback (4) read (11) Roman (15) récit (4) sex (57) sexuality (41) to-read (14) translated (4) translation (6) unread (9) women (7)

English (18)  French (4)  German (1)  All languages (23)
הייתי כל כך קצר רוח לקרוא אותו שלפני שהופיע באנגלי​ת קראתי אותו בצרפתית. ספר מהפכני באמת גם אם נקרא ק​ ( )
  amoskovacs | Sep 14, 2013 |
I liked the book so much I wrote a review of it. See it here:
  MSarki | Aug 3, 2013 |
It surprised me to find I was bored nearly to death by this book. I expected to at least be interested, but Millet's deadpan blow-by-blow recitation of her sexual life is so flat, so unemotional, so uninvolving as to be clinical and, well, boring. There's no sense of who Millet is as a person, merely the robotic recounting of encounter after encounter.

Stultifying. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I liked the book so much I wrote a review of it. See it here:
  MSarki | Mar 31, 2013 |
Modern art critic Catherine M. here details her sexual life, both in acts and in thought, from childhood to marriage in a way which provokes more thought than titillation.

I can understand the frustrations of people who have read this book and found it tedious in the extreme, however coming from a background of studying sociology and focusing especially on the sexual, I found it fascinating. Catherine's level of detachment allows for a more nuanced appraisal of her own sexual experiences, bringing in things from pseudo-psychoanalysis through to postmodern concepts of space. The ability to bring all this into a book centring on her own experiences of group sex and swinging is a feat in itself.

I would urge people to restrain themselves from running their own psychological profiling on Catherine M. in favour of accepting her own perceptions and accounts. I certainly felt I got a lot from this book simply by reading with an open mind.

In short, I wouldn't recommend this to someone simply for a thrill, however I would suggest it to anybody with a deeper interest in human sexuality. ( )
1 vote BeeQuiet | Apr 18, 2011 |
I suppose there is a sense in which ''The Sexual Life of Catherine M.'' might be perceived as an erotic breakthrough, a daring leap into a place where no woman -- or man, for that matter -- has gone before. But that immediately raises the question: Is this really a place worth getting to?

''The Sexual Life of Catherine M.'' is as ponderous as it is heavy-breathing, which is saying a lot. As the author pursues ''fornicatory communion'' as frequently and publicly as possible, and as she approaches her mission ''with the application of a musician composing a fugue,'' she totes her critical acumen to places where it is not entirely useful. Her book lurches to and fro between the frankly obscene and the absurdly high-minded.

Catherine Milletprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vosmaer, MartineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As a child I thought about numbers a great deal.

A national best-seller that was featured on such lists as The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, the San Francisco Chronicle, The Boston Globe, and Publishers Weekly, The Sexual Life of Catherine M. was the controversial sleeper hit of the year. Since her youth, Catherine Millet, the eminent editor of Art Press, has led an extraordinarily active and free sexual life -- from al fresco encounters in Italy to a gang bang on the edge of the Bois du Boulogne to a high-class orgy at a chichi Parisian restaurant. A graphic account of sex stripped of sentiment, of a life of physical gratification and a relentlessly honest look at the consequences -- both liberating and otherwise -- have created this candid, powerful, and deeply intelligent depiction of unfettered sexuality.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:43 -0400)

In an erotic memoir, the author honestly and graphically describes her active and free sexual life of physical gratification, the consequences of sex stripped of sentiment, and the fallacies of female sexuality.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible