PENGUINS STOPPED PLAY: ELEVEN VILLAGE…

PENGUINS STOPPED PLAY: ELEVEN VILLAGE CRICKETERS TAKE ON THE WORLD (original 2006; edition 2007)

by HARRY THOMPSON

Member:abigail.ann
Title:PENGUINS STOPPED PLAY: ELEVEN VILLAGE CRICKETERS TAKE ON THE WORLD
Authors:HARRY THOMPSON
Info:JOHN MURRAY (2007), Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Penguins Stopped Play: Eleven Village Cricketers Take on the World by Harry Thompson (2006)

This book is hilariously funny; people stared at me on the train because I was laughing so hard. It's a shame that the comic/courageous tone is marred by prolonged griping and what seem to be exercises in score-settling with individuals and institutions. ( )
  Lirmac | May 17, 2017 |
Captain Scott's Invitation XI. An amateur (very) cricket club on tour. After a few short tours they decide to play cricket on a world tour... playing on every continent. ( )
  cbinstead | May 11, 2016 |
Anyone who has ever been in an amateur team in any sport, but especially cricket will recognise so much of this, well told and poignant in the end I hugely enjoyed this book ( )
  Levitron | Jul 15, 2011 |
A fantastically funny and intriguing book about what can happy if you decide to take cricket around the world. I enjoyed this book, even though I'm not a cricket fan. Suitable for everyone who enjoys a good laugh, but I'm sure a little knowledge of cricket terminalogy would make the reader appreciate the humour even more. ( )
  abigail.ann | Jan 2, 2010 |
Supposed to be very funny. I haven't laughed yet. I did see someone smile once while they were reading this on a tube train at Edgware Road. How many books on village cricket can the market sustain? Any?
  jon1lambert | Apr 4, 2009 |
For Lisa, Gordon, Betty and Bill Thompson, with much love - and for Scotties everywhere

A hilarious odyssey in which an amateurish bunch of English eccentrics go cricketing across the globe. Originally published: 2006.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,561,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible