Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked…

Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Jack Coughlin (Author)

With more than sixty confirmed kills, Gunnery Sgt. Coughlin is the Marine Corps' top-ranked sniper. A divorced father of two who grew up in a wealthy Boston suburb, he had never even held a gun when he joined the Marines, but would spend the next twenty years behind the scope of a long-range precision rifle. In that time he accumulated one of the most successful records in the Corps, ranging through many of the world's hotspots. Now he has written a highly personal story about his deadly craft, taking readers deep inside an invisible society. This is not a heroic battlefield memoir, but the careful study of an exceptional man who must keep his sanity while carrying forward one of the deadliest legacies in the U.S. military today.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:dndadventure
Title:Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper
Authors:Jack Coughlin (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2005), Edition: First Edition, 320 pages
Tags:BookBox025

Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper by Jack Coughlin (2005)

sniper develops and uses new theory of how to use snipers in the field
  ritaer | Jul 16, 2021 |
Jack Coughlin may have been a great sniper, but his arrogance was incredibly off-putting. I only finished the book because it was purchased on a business trip and had little else with me to read. The way this is written, one would think that (a) Coughlin invented sharpshooting, and (b) he won the war on his own. I would rather read a memoir by someone who kicks down doors and fights the enemy face-to-face rather than someone who kills an unaware bad guy a mile downrange. ( )
  CrimsonWurm | Apr 11, 2021 |
Autobiography (well, really more operational/deployment memoir) of one of the top Marine snipers of all time, operating from the late 1980s to 2005. He has all of the self-confidence you’d expect from someone accomplished in a risky endeavor, and very little tolerance for low performers (including some officers above him, specifically “Officer Bob” from the invasion of Iraq).

He developed the doctrine of deploying snipers directly with assault units (basically as a modern Designated Marksman role), rather than the pre Iraq model of snipers operating in groups of 1-3 for long stalks and primarily as scouting assets. He scrounged some vehicles (up-armored hnmwv with mk19) from an unfortunate tasking as a headquarters GySgt, and was able to hand pick a team of excellent Marines.

One thing I liked about this book is it skipped most of the filler content about life before the action, basic training, etc commonly found in military books. It also showed that as a front line Marine senior enlisted he actually had better knowledge of the geopolitics of the situation than most of the senior leadership at the time. However, keeping it from being really excellent as a book, there was little to take from the book and apply anywhere else. Still a decent read to learn about one man’s experience in the invasion of Iraq, and a good autobiography of a sniper, but maybe not broadly appealing. ( )
  octal | Jan 1, 2021 |
  alanhaley | Apr 16, 2018 |
Shooter is a very interesting book. Its a great read for anybody who understands or wants to understand the military. It is an autobiography of some really great soldiers, Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin is an example. Shooter takes place in Iraq during the war between Iraq and The United States of America. This book is extraordinary, the stories of Gunnery Sgt. Coughlin and his military platoon is amazing. The things they did to make sure we kept our freedom in the USA is groundbreaking. I absolutely recommend this book to anybody that wants to learn more about war or the military. ( )
  br14seha | Nov 1, 2013 |

Jack Coughlinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kuhlman, Caseymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Davis, Donald A.secondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Our Families and to the Corps
At another time, on another battlefield, my radio call sign had been "Gabriel," because the archangel and I have a lot in common.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,259,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible