Home Truths by David Lodge

Home Truths (edition 2000)

by David Lodge

Adrian Ludlow, a novelist with a distinguished reputation and a book on the A level syllabus, is now seeking obscurity in a cottage beneath the Gatwick flight path. His university friend Sam Sharp, who has become a successful screen writer, drops in on the way to Los Angeles, fuming over a vicious profile of himself by Fanny Tarrant, one of the new breed of Rottweiler interviewers, in a Sunday newspaper. Together they decide to take revenge on the interviewer, though Adrian is risking what he values most: his privacy.… (more)
Member:LaurieDB
Title:Home Truths
Authors:David Lodge
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2000), Paperback, 128 pages
Rating:*****

Home Truths by David Lodge

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
a vicious journalist has her comeuppance when a nasty column about Di appears the day of Di's death
  ritaer | Jul 4, 2021 |
Quick and easy read; entertaining as well. Raises some deeper than usual questions about celebrity interviews. The ending reminds us to be careful about what we write.
  ivanfranko | Sep 17, 2020 |
An evident adaptation of a play; it works despite the speeches. I enjoyd it, my thoughts drifting to Hitchens and his friends Ian and Marty. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
This novella is capable of being read in a single sitting – it took me no more than a few hours to whizz though it. Adapted from a screenplay, it retains the original’s reliance on dialogue and a limited number of scenes, as well as other style-related factors mentioned in the author’s afterword which made interesting reading.

All in all it’s a mildly amusing (not laugh-out-loud) take on the hostile celebrity interview, and the ins and outs of being a writer. Despite its brevity it still makes some interesting points as well as raising questions, chief among which was: are people actually called Fanny anymore? ( )
1 vote jayne_charles | Jan 3, 2011 |
25 May 2009 - from Julie and Barry when they moved away

I picked this out of the bags as a Lodge I didn't know about. It's a novella based on a play Lodge wrote about the pitfalls of celebrity. Working well as a long short story, we meet two authors, one out there and successful, one practically a hermit, the woman they both once loved, now married to one of them, and a celebrity interviewer known for stitching up her victims. When they try to play a trick on her, will it all backfire?

Really nicely written (of course) and with a great little storyline - very good and it is in book form so I'll count it as a full book read! ( )
  LyzzyBee | Sep 1, 2009 |

David Lodgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Navascues, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'home truth: a wounding mention of a person's weakness'

Shorter Oxford English Dictionary
To Leah
The cottage stands all on its own at the end of a rutted cart-track that leads off from the main road to the village, about a mile away.

Adapted from the play of the same name performed by Birmingham Rep in 1998.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,190,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible