Return to the Hundred Acre Wood…

Return to the Hundred Acre Wood (Winnie-The-Pooh Collection) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by David Benedictus, Mark Burgess (Illustrator)

267None42,142 (3.59)7
Member:MerryMary
Title:Return to the Hundred Acre Wood (Winnie-The-Pooh Collection)
Authors:David Benedictus
Other authors:Mark Burgess (Illustrator)
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2009), Hardcover, 160 pages
Tags:children's lit, Pooh

Return to the Hundred Acre Wood by David Benedictus (2009)

English (11)  Finnish (1)  All languages (12)
David Benedictus and Mark Burgess (and the Pooh Trustees and Dutton) did a wonderful job of recapturing the magic of A.A. Milne and Ernest H. Shepard. I really enjoyed the simplicity of the stories and Lottie is great addition to the cast of characters. And, the book itself is beautifully made. Very special indeed. ( )
  KatieCarella | Apr 12, 2014 |
Wasn't sure about this, there are some things that are sacrosanct and Pooh seemed to me to be one of them.

But it actually was better than expected. It is set during the summer holiday when CR has come home from school and has the air of those lazy days of summer childhod. Initially I thought it was trying too hard to be cute, but that sensation went away fairly quickly. The introduction of a new character allows him to be different from the original and cover new ground.

I wont spoil the ending, but it had the same effect on this soppy reader that the final paragraphs of the original Pooh books did.

The illustrations are easily the best thing about this - they are true to the Shepard drawings and have avoided the horrid things that Disney has done to Pooh and his friends.

Wasn't sure, but am now convinced and have, most reluctantly, had to wrap this copy up - bought as a present so had to finish it quite quickly! ( )
  Helenliz | Mar 31, 2013 |
The House at Pooh Corner ends with Christopher Robin outgrowing his stuffed animals. How to write a sequel? The best solution might have been to set the new tales during the period covered by the first two books. Still, that does prevent one from having anything major happen, and it's perhaps not the most satisfying choice.

Instead, Benedictus opts for a stay of execution: the original ending is redefined as Christopher Robin going away to boarding school, but he comes back at the end of the term. Once this is gotten out of the way in the first story, he's free to get on with a collection of new tales.

And they're not bad. I don't think they're quite up to Milne's standard, but few things are. The characters generally behave as we'd expect them to, and the new character, Lottie the Otter, fits organically into the Hundred Acre Wood. This is a respectable effort from somebody who honors the integrity of the original books, and I don't really have any problems with its inclusion in the canon. (To the extent that it is. And the disarming introduction, in which Eeyore predicts that the new writer will get everything wrong, helps in that regard.) ( )
1 vote Shmuel510 | Jul 23, 2011 |
I read this book to my 8yr old and i have always loved Pooh bear but i like the stories in this book but i did not like they way they were written.. it felt like i was stumbling over some parts just because of the way it was written ( )
  dbhutch | Feb 16, 2011 |
I snatched this up when I saw it at Books-A-Million. I had to have it. As a child I read A.A. Milne, and Pooh and friends have been my go-to when I'm ill or in distress. I love them dearly, so I had to check this book out.

It was pleasurable to read. I kept this version at a distance from Milne's version in my mind because I knew that Benedictus would never live up to Milne. In this way I was able to enjoy the book and find my way back to old friends in new situations.

It's certainly more contemporary, but very sweet. It gave me a chuckle or two throughout. The illustrations are beautiful and worth a peek. Lottie the Otter...well, she's endearing in her own way, I guess. We can give the author a few allowances. He's no Milne, but I don't think his intentions were ever to aim that high. I think he wanted what most fans of Pooh wanted--more. ( )
1 vote quillmenow | Apr 18, 2010 |
As Winnie the Pooh himself says, ‘sometimes it’s best to have something not quite right in a hum so that everybody can say: ‘Humph! I could have done it better myself.’” Quite right, too. This book is a joyful and apt addition to the Pooh saga.

David Benedictusprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kapari-Jatta, JaanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You gave us Christopher Robin and Pooh
And a forest of shadows and streams,
And the whole world smiled with you, as you
Offered us your dreams.
I took up the offer and page upon page
And line upon fanciful line,
I tried to show in a different age
Your dreams are mine.
Exposition: Pooh and piglet, Christopher Robin and Eeyore were last seen in the Forest - oh, can it really be eighty years ago?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0525421602, Hardcover)

Product Description
It was eighty years ago, on the publication of The House at Pooh Corner, when Christopher Robin said good-bye to Winnie-the-Pooh and his friends in the Hundred Acre Wood. Now they are all back in new adventures, for the first time approved by the Trustees of the Pooh Properties. This is a companion volume that truly captures the style of A. A. Milne-a worthy sequel to The House at Pooh Corner and Winnie-the-Pooh.

About the Author
David Benedictus produced the audio adaptations of Winnie-the-Pooh, starring Dame Judi Dench. He lives in London, England.

Mark Burgess has previously illustrated Winnie-the-Pooh and other classic children’s characters, including Paddington Bear. He lives in London, England.

Take a Look Inside Return to the Hundred Acre Wood
(Click on images to enlarge)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:07 -0400)

Collects the further stories of Christopher Robin and his imaginary animal friends in the Hundred Acre Wood, where the animals anticipate Christopher Robin's return, meet a new friend, and solve the mystery of missing bees.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,481,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible