Falstaff by Robert Nye

Falstaff (1976)

by Robert Nye

I have been trying to tell everyone I know about Robert Nye, and I think I am starting to get on people's nerves. Seriously, folks, why has no one ever heard of him? This book is amazing. Nye combines the wordplay and historical/literary knowledge of Burgess, the irreverence and odd formatting of the postmoderns, the grand sweep alternating with infuriating minutiae of Pynchon and Melville, the raunchiness of Philip Roth, and the wiliness of the Bard himself. I suspect Nye may be a bit off his gourd.

Oh, and you might want to familiarize yourself with Falstaff's appearances in Henry IV (1 and 2) and the Merry Wives of Windsor to fully appreciate this book, though watching Branagh's Henry V movie (which brings in many of Falstaff's important scenes as flashbacks) would be a pretty good crib. ( )
1 vote sansmerci | Jan 5, 2010 |
Is anybody better than this? Not likely. Nye has no equal. ( )
1 vote Porius | Oct 9, 2008 |

Robert Nyeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsh, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I was begotten on the giant of Cerne Abbas.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 155970649X, Paperback)

Irascible and still lecherous at age 81, Sir John Falstaff, one of Shakespeareís greatest characters, spins out these memoirs as an antidote to legend, and in so doing manages to recreate his own. Set in an England that was earthy, violent, superstitious, and brimming with a new sense of national purpose, FALSTAFF brings to life not only the man himself but the whole Elizabethan era. Here we see what history and the Bard overlooked or purposely left out of his plays: what really happened that celebrated night when Falstaff and Justice Shallow heard the chimes at midnight; who killed Hotspur; how many men really fell at Agincourt; what actually transpired at the coronation of Henry V (ìHarry the Prigî) and much, much more!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:12 -0400)

One of the great comic figures in English literature finds his own voice in this novel, setting the record straight about who killed Hotspur, how many men died at Agincourt, and other Shakespearian mysteries.

Arcade Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Arcade Publishing.

Editions: 1611451507, 1611457009

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,022,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible