dismiss

Where Serpents Sleep

by C. S. Harris

Series: Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries (4)

The sole witness to the slaughter of eight young prostitutes at a house of refuge near Covent Garden, Hero Jarvis, daughter of the Prince Regent's cousin, Lord Jarvis, joins forces with Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, to investigate the massacre, following a trail of danger that takes them from London's seedy underbelly to the highest levels of society.… (more)

Book #4 of a series
This is my favourite book so far in the series. I'm always a fan of the "unconventional strong female for the times and her era" type of heroine. And I do think Hero Jarvis is indeed quite heroic. My major niggle with the plot is the episode in which she and Sebastian are lured to a place where they become trapped. It was a contrived situation to throw them together and the resulting scenario was quite out of character, at least as far as Hero is concerned.

A minor annoyance throughout this series is Sebastian's pursuit of murderous people with absolutely no back up. He hares off to confront one person after another and deliberately baits them without any apparent consideration for having a partner scouting out the area to protect his inquiries from landing him in a life-threatening jam.
Despite these criticisms, I still like the theme and the general rollicking narrative. Harris is a very likeable storyteller. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jul 11, 2020 |
Okay, this is where I make a small confession: I read this one back in 2009 (not knowing at that time that it was part of a series and not a stand alone novel). Back then, I wasn't saving reviews here on LT (only ratings), so all I know is that I gave this one 4.5 stars back then. 11-years later, this one continues to captivate me. Why the bump up in the rating from the earlier books in the series? I really, really like Hero Jarvis. She is such a great character! A strong willed, determined, independent-thinking woman and the perfect match for Sebastian, IMO. The fact that she is the daughter of Lord Jarvis - cousin of the Prince Regent and Sebastian's arch nemesis (if we can say that such a character exists in this series) - makes Hero's decision to seek out Sebastian's help, to solve a murder she witnessed while engaging in her social welfare activities, and contrary to her father's wishes, all that more interesting.

"So many deaths."

That is the quick, three word summary for this installment, aptly provided by Hero. Yes, there is a rather high body count. Not surprising given the intricate mystery that starts at Covent Garden with the murders of prostitutes, only to be the tip of an ice burg as the mystery extends to the aristocracy and a more menacing threat to the English government in White Hall. As with previous installments, Lord Devlin continues to look into matters and conduct himself based on his own moral compass (and a good thing, too!). Thankfully, his "valet problem" has been resolved and we see Lord Devlin's household continuing to employee individuals that are useful to Sebastian's rather socially frowned upon investigative endeavors.

Overall, a series I continue to be enthralled with. ( )
  lkernagh | Apr 12, 2020 |
Hero Jarvis, reform-minded daughter of the Prince Regent's cousin, enlists Sebastian St. Cyr's help in investigating the brutal murders of eight prostitutes. Following a trail of clues from London's seedy East End to the Mayfair mansions of a noble family, the two must race against time to stop a killer.

This was a lively story with some interesting interactions between Hero and Sebastian, who have a mutual distrust of each other. They also had their hands full by going against Hero’s powerful father, the local magistrates and the people who killed the prostitutes. I was let down a bit with the ending. Although it was plausible, it didn’t make a big impact on me as I didn’t know enough about the issue to care a lot about it. Overall, I did enjoy the story. ( )
  gaylebutz | Apr 3, 2019 |
This series has produced some very interesting characters...some charming and some less charming, but all very human and believable in their behavior. This one has Sebastian and Hero Jarvis spending a lot of time together. I see it as setting up their relationship for some interesting choices for their individual futures as well as the future of this marvelous series. I like Hero but I find her a little too cold and bull headed. In spite of my likes and dislikes I think we will see a lot of Sebastian and Hero in the future in a new kind of "togetherness". ( )
  Carol420 | Apr 2, 2019 |
The savage murder of eight prostitutes at a London house of refuge provides Sebastian St. Cyr with yet another challenging puzzle. Hero Jarvis, the fearless and independent daughter of his mortal enemy asks St. Cyr's help in tracking down those responsible. The amateur detective finds no shortage of suspects, ranging from the pimp of some of the dead girls to Bow Street magistrate Sir William Hadley, who had patronized them.
There are a lot of action in Harris' books which keeps the plot moving and makes for a fast-paced read. I like how we get a look at all classes of society from the Regency era and how they affect the storyline. I'm interested in reading the next book in the series to find out more about the relationship of Hero and Sebastian. I would recommend this series to those who love historical mystery. ( )
  EadieB | Apr 1, 2019 |

C. S. Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Amell, AlissaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Biel, ScottCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lutfi-Proctor, SamanthaAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"...who knows where serpents sleep?"

--Anonymous
In memory of
Dr. Robert D. Harris, December 1921--August 2007.
Scholar, mentor, friend.
Monday, 4 May 1812

The girl stared out the window, one hand sliding up and down her shawl-covered arm in a ceaseless, uneasy motion.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,184,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible