Changes by Jim Butcher

Changes

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (12)

English (145)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (147)
One of the impressive things about this series is I can pick up at book 12, after not reading the other books in years, and mostly remember who is who among the vast cast of characters. Jim Butcher has a knack for writing fast-paced and witty plot lines with constant twists and turns; those stakes are greatly escalated here.

There is a major cliffhanger at the end, but it's one I've been aware of for many years. Even though I anticipated it, I was still surprised by how it played out. ( )
  ladycato | Sep 15, 2018 |
Shark = jumped. ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
Wow! What a doozy of a book. I've been thinking for a few books now that I can't imagine what else could happen to Harry, and how in the heck does he keep getting out of such crazy circumstances. The title of this book is particularly apt - Harry loses his office and his home. He meets up with and then ultimately sacrifices his love, Susan. He discovers he has a child, but his life means that he is going to lose her as well. This is definitely a turning point in the series. Can't wait to see what happens next. In this novel he takes on the Red Court and travels to Mexico. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jul 13, 2018 |
Changes
4 Stars

***Warning: This review contains spoilers***

In order to rescue his daughter from Duchess Ariana of the Red Court of Vampires, Harry must call in favors from both allies and enemies alike, and is forced to make numerous life altering decisions that put his morality and strength of character to the test.

A well-written installment with just the right amount of wit and humor to balance out the gripping action and raw emotion of the plot. Harry’s internal struggles with the difficult choices that he must make leads to some of the most intense and compelling moments in the series.

While several story elements are a little on the predictable side, i.e, Dresden’s deal with Mab, Susan’s fate and Martin’s betrayal, there are others that shocked me to the core, such as the identity of Harry’s grandfather, Lea’s actions on Harry’s behalf and one very interesting member of the Grey Council. Regardless, it is clear that Butcher is extremely skilled at both plotting and misdirection.

On a final note, the book does end on a cliffhanger, but as I will be continuing with Ghost Story immediately, this is not as annoying as it might have been. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
In this volume of The Dresden Files, Jim Butcher tries to shake things up a bit. On the first page, Harry Dresden finds out he's a father. Of course, the surprise is not as simple as that. He also finds out that his child is six years old and has been kidnapped. This makes the situation more dire than Harry's past adventures. It makes him push harder, suffer more, and cross some lines to try and rescue the kid. In the process, secrets are revealed and some of the familiar elements elements of the series are changed forever. Well, maybe not forever, this being in a fantasy series. But I digress. All in all, it wasn't my favorite Dresden novel, but it did disrupt the status quo and got me wondering what Mr. Butcher is going to do in the next installment.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Apr 4, 2018 |
This is book 13 of the series so the character and world building was done a long time ago with a masterpiece hand. What can I say? I’m a long-time Jim Butcher fan so my opinion is biased. Reading Changes has reminded me why I love reading Jim Butcher so much! The wry humour showing through the pages… non-stop suspense action chapter after chapter. The story telling quality is 5 out of 5, as per usual. So what new thing can I say about this book that I haven’t said already in previous Jim Butcher reviews? This book is obviously a pivotal point in the series, as aptly titled Changes. New developments in the story is emerging... And the ending was specifically designed to better torment die hard fans to having to wait for a year for the next installment…

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lundgren, RayCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simmons, JoieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I answered the phone, and Susan Rodriguez said, “They’ve taken our daughter.”
I'm not sure it's possible to manipulate someone with candor and truth.
I think you call that enlightenment.

Long ago, Susan Rodriquez was Harry Dresden's lover - until she was attacked by his enemies, leaving her caught between humanity and the relentless bloodlust of the vampiric Red Court. She disappeared to South America, where she could fight both her savage gift and those who cursed her with it. Now she needs Harry's help more than ever.

For the vengeful Duchess of the Red Court has discovered a secret Susan has long kept from everyone - including Harry - and she plans to use it. To prevail, Harry may have to unleash the full fury of his untapped power - and he may have no choice but to embrace the darkness within himself.

Because this time, he's fighting to save his child.

In the twelfth book of the series, Harry finds out he has a daughter and has to work with his former lover, Susan Rodriguez, to protect them both.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,661,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible