HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Emotional Intelligence 2.0 (2009)

by Travis Bradberry, Jean Greaves (Author)

Knowing what emotional intelligence is, and knowing how to use it to improve your life, are two very different things.

It's okay. The first few chapters are very skimmable, and are taken up with a lot of anecdotal padding about example individuals that doesn't really address how emotional intelligence can be developed. Basically, the first chapters can be distilled down to: Emotional intelligence is an important quality in business and in life. The chapters that break down the four aspects of emotional intelligence and tools to develop each aspect are more useful and also more interesting. ( )
  TheGalaxyGirl | Jan 8, 2023 |
Quick, easy to read, and practical !

Real nice book ! ( )
  nonames | Jan 14, 2022 |
A solid start.

Emotional intelligence is a buzzword nowadays, due to the dearth of interpersonal conflict. However, it isn't a new thing. Moreover, it isn't a static thing - something that some people have and others do not. I used to lament over the fact that I don't have XYZ social skill for whatever reason. However, this book showed me that many social skills can indeed be learned. In fact, many taken for granted when we have them and are clearly noticed when they are missing.

The book itself describes the four dimensions of Emotional Intelligence: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management. While Bradberry doesn't go into great detail into each one, he does describe them enough for you to understand what you likely intuitively know. Further he gives several ways to improve your Emotional Intelligence, even if you are already strong in certain areas. The book also includes a survey by which you can discover your level of Emotional Intelligence, or Emotional Quotient (EQ). However, I got this from the library so the survey materials were not available.

Nevertheless, this was a helpful book. I intend to purchase it for my own growth as a person and a leader. ( )
  redeemedronin | Dec 28, 2020 |
While this is a good one, the more I read, the more I believe that there is a shortcut to all of this. That's to maximize your communication skill. If you can master and apply the first 50 pages of the book called How to communicate (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7029503-how-to-communicate), I believe you'll be able to address quite many strategies suggested in this book. What is really good about the book is the test which can help you to evaluate yourself. ( )
  viethungnguyen | Dec 7, 2020 |
I put off reading this book because there were other books that I marked to read before it. Once I started reading it, it was a quick interesting read, and I was glad that I moved it ahead of other books in the queue.

Some of the strategies in the four sections of the book felt like they were closely related.

I look forward to working on increasing my EQ by using the assessment test to determine where I need to focus my efforts and applying the relevant strategies from the 66 strategies listed in the book.

Emotional Intelligence 2.0 Strategies

1. Self Awareness Strategies
1. Quit treating your feelings as good or bad
2. Observe the ripple effect from your emotions
3. Lean into your discomfort
4. Feel your emotions physically
5. Know who and what pushes your buttons
6. Watch yourself like a hawk ...
7. Keep a journal about your emotions
8. Don't be fooled by a bad mood
9. Don't be fooled by a good mood either
10. Stop and ask yourself why you do the things you do.
11. Visit your values

13. Stay synchronized
14. Speak to someone who is not emotionally invesed in your problem
15. learn a valuable lesson from everyone you encounter
16. Put a mental recharge into your schedule
17. Accept that change is just around the corner (Risk Analysis)

3. Social Awareness Strategies

bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |

Bradberry, TravisAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Greaves, JeanAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lencioni, PatrickPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Travis Bradberry is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,899,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible