Fallen by Lauren Kate

Authors:Lauren Kate
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2009), Hardcover, 464 pages
Tags:Fallen

Fallen by Lauren Kate

English (364)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Japanese (1)  All (1)  All (371)
I really expected to hate this book venomously based on the reviews here. While it wasn't as bad as I originally anticipated, it wasn't exactly the best book I've ever read. There were obvious cliches that felt a little forced to me. Specifically, the love story bugged me. While it technically makes sense, it still feels awkward. Luce knows she loves Daniel because she feels like she's somehow met him before. This is all great and dandy but it could've been so much better if she actually fell in love with him, not the memory of him. The way she simply was drawn to him felt like flat-storytelling. To be honest, I'm left feeling pretty indifferent to the book. It just felt pretty average to me. While I may continue the series, I might not. ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
This book is about a girl named Lucy who goes to a special school. She is fated to fall inlove with a guy named Daniel. The one obstacle that was standing in the way was Cam. She found herself liking Cam but not as much as she loved Daniel. Daniel tried to stay away from her, to get her to hate him. He came up with every excuse, some mean gestures and other stuff but it never worked. In the end, though Lucy found out that every 17th birthday she would find Daniel no matter what. It was a curse that if she kissed him she would die, and only a few lifetimes are different. Lucy can now see the shadows after a long time from being blinded by them. Daniel is and angel, a fallen one. Cam is the one who controls the shadows. Daniel and Lucy end up seperating in the end for Lucy's safety.

I liked this book. This book had romance, horror, and action. If you like those types of genres then this book is for you. I gave it for stars because it wasnt one of the best books I read, but it wasnt bad either. I liked how in the book when Lucy and Daniel first made eye contact that he flicked her off. This book was really good and I highly recommend you to read it. ( )
  JusticeI.B3 | May 21, 2018 |
As I was reading this book, I kept waiting to find out what was really going on. I felt like I was being set up for something grand, so I kept reading and reading. Well, the something grand never happened. There are so many unanswered questions. The only questions that were answered were of the obvious. I am very disappointed. I haven't decided if I want to read the second book to find out the answers or not. ( )
  Kristinah | May 8, 2018 |
Fallen is a book about Lucinda Price a girl who has been enrolled at a school for troubled kids after she had been accused of the death of the guy she had been head over heals for oh and the shadows she sees all the time. Sword and Cross is certainly different it looks more like a prison than anything. But luckily she is not the only new kid there is also Gabbe, Todd, and Cam who is very forward about his interest in Luce. The first person Luce truly meets is a girl named Arraine with long black hair and tan skin. Arraine and Luce first really get to know each other when Luce cuts Arraine's hair for her to about chin length. Luce also learns about the bracelets some people have to wear at this school since they are on "probation". Her first school day at Sword and Cross starts off rather dramatically when Luce sees a boy named Daniel Grigori. She accidentally gets caught staring at him and gets flipped off so she goes through the boring classes 1 by 1 and thinks about that. Then a girl named Molly gets Luce in detention when Molly smashes meat loaf in Luce's hair. The next day She is stuck in detention with Daniel, Molly, Arraine, Roland,and Cam who had turned out to be one of the best people she knew. She ended up working with Arraine to clean off a huge statue in the cemetery. But sadly her shadows came and knocked the statue almost on her, but Daniel had saved her by pushing her out of the way she felt strangly firmiliar with him but their moment barely lasted when Cam pulled her up and made sure she as ok.Cam is really sweet to Luce the next few weeks and Daniel tries to avoid her she is starting to decide she just will avoid Daneil when she gets hit in the head witha soccer ball and Daniel takes her to make sure she is ok but he also takes her to a lake and spends sometime with her he trhen suddenly takes off and leaves her he ignores her the next few days and she is swept of her feet by Cam once again. But then an awful fire breaks out in the library and Luce and Todd are just able to get out but the shadows then picked up her and Todd and flung them the impact of the fall broke Todd's neck and he died. Luce did however find out she can fight off the shadows. She woke up the next morning after the fire in a hospital with Gabbe doing her fingernails and Arraine holding coconut drinks just as her friends were being hurried out of her room Daniel came and gave her white wild peonies she wondered how it was possible he could know those are her favorite flowers.Luce also saw her parents for the first time since she was dropped at Sword and Cross. At Todd's memorial Cam started hugging Luce but Luce quickly left the ceremony with Daniel and they went back to the lake where Luce told Daniel about Trevor and how she was blamed for his death and how she could see the shadows too just before he left her again. After two days Sword and Cross had it's annual parents day. It was a total fake from what the real day was like there but Luce noticed she hadn't seen Daniel or Cam that day until she found Cam and his father in the cemetery. Cam then tries to get a little affectionate with Luce in front of Daniel and Daniel got mad Luce then realized how much Daniel really did care for her. The boys both fight for her affection and she knows she has to tell Cam she can't be with him but she doesn't know it Cam is willing to let her go. Luce then goes to the front of the gates to give Cam back a necklace he gave her and tell him how she felt but instead there was a ride there and she went to a bar with Cam but ran out when Cam got into a fight with a drunk guy and when she ran out she ran straight into Daniels arms who was there to protect her. Daniel pulls over on the way back to Sword and Cross and Him and Luce kiss all though he feels like something has changed. Luce then finds two notes under her door the next day one from Cam asking for a chance to apologize the other from Daniel asking to meet him at the lake she wants to go to Daniel but she also wants to really tell Cam she wont be with him. She goes to meet Cam but her forces her into a kiss. She couldn't remember anything at all until Daniel and Gabbe come to break things up. Daniel then explains about how he is an angel and can live forever but every 17 years he is doomed to fall in love with her and she could never survive the kiss. Luce doesn't believe it but she feels as though it may be true. She needed to lay down she went to her dorm leaving Daniel in the graveyard and when she got back she found a book with Daniel's relatives. In the book she finds a picture of her and Daniel prof that Daniel wasn't lying about her past lives. Luce finds Mrs. Sophia and she realizes she knows more about Luce's life than Luce did. Luce then had the feeling to run to Daniel she and Mrs. Sophia ran to the graveyard where Luce left him but in the graveyard they find sparks flying and a battle was going on and Luce was in the middle of it all. Mrs. Sophia, Luce and Penn who had run to the graveyard all ran to safety while Daniel and Cam fought the battle. Mrs. Sophia explain why this life was different and that was because in all Luce's past lives she had been baptized and brought up with religion this one she was not. Mrs. Sophia saw taking Luce's life as a way to end war but just then Daniel broke into the gym just in time to save Luce from the blade in Mrs. Sophia's hand. Mr. Cole then takes Luce away to a safe place after letting her give Daniel a short goodbye. This life is different in this life Daniel can kiss Luce without her dying and this might be Luce's last life if she dies this time there is no coming back and there are a lot of fallen angels who want Luce dead. ( )
  JuliannS.B2 | Mar 19, 2018 |
Read in High School
Age 13 (2006) – Age 22 (2015)
  KiTiraShorter | Mar 5, 2018 |
Many elements are not resolved, such as the cause of the fire and why angels are at this school. Still, fans of supernatural romance will be lining up for this book despite its flaws, and begging for a sequel.

Lauren Kateprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But paradise is locked and bolted.... We must make a journey around the world to see if a back door has perhaps been left open. -- Heinrich von Kleist, "On the Puppet Theater"
For my family, with gratitude and love
Around midnight, her eyes at last took shape.
Some things are more important than love. You won’t understand, but you have to trust me.

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page turning thriller and the ultimate love story.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:51 -0400)

Suspected in the death of her boyfriend, seventeen-year-old Luce is sent to a Savannah, Georgia, reform school where she meets two intriguing boys and learns the truth about the strange shadows that have always haunted her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,540,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible