A Time to Kill by John Grisham

A Time to Kill (original 1989; edition 1992)

by John Grisham (Author)

Series: Jake Brigance (1)

A Southern town is shocked when a 10-year-old black girl is raped by two white men--until the girl's father takes the law into his own hands.
Member:samanthawestlake
Title:A Time to Kill
Authors:John Grisham (Author)
Info:Island Books (1992), 515 pages

Work Information

A Time to Kill by John Grisham (1989)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: A Time to Kill's courtroom drama and emphasis on race relations in a small town in the South definitely brought to mind the trial scenes in Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.
    The King of Lies by John Hart (VictoriaPL)
    The Quiet Game by Greg Iles (VictoriaPL)
    The Color of Law by Mark Gimenez (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Grisham has several books that deal with racial prejudice in the South, especially when it relates to trials. This is the one whose title I could remember offhand. Gimenez uses some of the same ideas with some of the antagonists in this book that Grisham uses.… (more)
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett (citygirl)
    citygirl: The ugliness of small-town Mississippi in racial matters wrapped in a compelling, page-turning story.

English (129)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (137)
*** ITA ***
Leggendolo, ho come il dubbio di non essere abbastanza americana per capire. L'omicidio dei due assalitori è trattato come qualcosa di così ovvio, così 'normale' che non sono riuscita a calarmi nella storia, solo a seguirla con un sottile senso di disagio.

Pensavo che l'agente che viene ferito gravemente sarebbe stato usato come un contrappasso, come un modo per bilanciare nella nostra testa quella che può essere una terribile necessità di giustizia con ciò che può portare quando vengono coinvolti degli innocenti. Invece è una nota a margine, menzionato il giusto e poi usato per un colpo di scena senza nessun risvolto emotivo (ma neanche razionale, almeno per me).

Il destino di alcuni dei personaggi è lasciato in sospeso, il protagonista lo avrei preso a randellate, sopratutto quando la sua segretaria viene aggredita in casa, le uccidono il marito, e lui reagisce più come se fosse una seccatura che un dramma vero per una persona, per quanto a lui non possa piacere...

*** ENG ***
I have the doubt I'm not 'american enough' to get this book. Yes, sometimes the need of justice, in the face of some horrible things, must be overpowering and terrible, but here I got it as 'an eye for an eye' was simply an obvious, given thing. The fact an innocent person was involved, hurt severely and forever? A passing note, used mostly for a plot twist that did just evoke perplexity to me.

I could just read this book with a sort of subtle feeling of discomfort, I could not get into the story, feel empathy for the characters (little Tonya, who is the only one to deserve it, is mostly referred to as 'the girl' or 'the poor victim' or similar, which does not help in giving her any identity beyond the plot device).

Letto per le sfide
1. Trim your TBR - Libro #20, per la task Un libro di un autore il cui cognome inizia con una lettera del tuo nome/nickname
2. Alphabet 2020 per Un libro il cui titolo inizi per T
3. Babele 2020 - Modalità difficile (10/15)
4. Extra-Large 2020 - Modalità difficile (6/9, #691 pagine). ( )
  JaqJaq | Jan 7, 2022 |
A ten-year-old black girl is raped by two white men in the woods in rural Mississippi in the mid-1980s. The rapists are caught and indicted. Before their trial, they are shot by the father of the girl who takes justice into his own hands. This is the setting of John Grisham's A Time to Kill. The plot then revolves around the trial of the girl's father, Carl Lee Hailey. The case seems to be pretty clear. He killed the two young men and injured a police deputy in the process. However, the people in the town are divided in their opinions about the murder: did Hailey do the town a favor by killing the two rapists or should he have let them stand their trial? Jake Brigance is a street lawyer in the small town of Clanton and is hired by Carl Lee Hailey as defense counsel. The only possible option is an insanity defense where he hopes for a not-guilty-by-reason-of-insanity verdict. In the course of the trial the Klu Klux Klan emerges again, there are burning crosses, death threats and intimidations of the jury all around. Will Carl Lee Hailey and Jake Brigance win the case? Or will they win, but lose so much else? Read A Time to Kill to find out.

I generally liked the novel a lot and kept turning its pages once I got into it. The characters are well crafted and the story is well paced. However, the novel leaves open many questions, at times there are characters that surface but never mentioned anymore although it might have been interesting to learn about their fate. While this might be due to the fact that this is Grisham's first novel, it still took away from the overall reading experience. 3.5 stars for this legal thriller. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Dec 31, 2021 |
A Time to Kill by John Grisham (1992)
  arosoff | Jul 10, 2021 |
When 10 year old Tonya is raped by 3 grown men, her father takes the law into his own hands and kills them. Jake, a father himself, is horrified by the rape and horrified by how quickly the mostly white town turns on the black father who killed the white men who destroyed his daughter's life. This is the tale of how a white lawyer battles the court system and the court of public opinion for the life of a black father who did what he thought he had to do to keep his child safe. This is my favorite book by John Grisham and one of my favorite Grisham movies. A must read, imo. especially right now. ( )
  amoderndaybelle | May 27, 2021 |
This was definitely a court room drama and there were definitely parts that I just wanted to rush through to get back to the plot and the interesting stuff. This was John Grisham's first book (and also the first book by him that I have read) and I think I can tell that this was his first book because there were parts that didn't make a difference whether or not you read it because while it might have been "interesting" or "added to the story", it didn't add in a way that made you glad you had read it. For example, he gives the name and background a of boy who decides to sell lunches and refreshment in the court room during lunch recess when no one wants to give up their seats. Grisham went into such detail on what the boy was like as a child growing up (thrifty and constantly trying to make money) that you started to feel like you knew who the person was, but once the lunch recess was over, you didn't hear one more word about this boy. While it kind of added to story, at least a page and a half was wasted on these descriptions and back story and in the end, it had no bearing on the plot or any characters in any way, shape, or form. Unfortunately, there are many examples of this throughout the book.

I really liked the story line of this book and while there were certainly appalling parts (I wasn't sure I could continue to read the book after the very first chapter and the horrific descriptions of the rape of Carl Lee's daughter)I still liked the message of the book and would have come out with the same verdict that the jury did.

I really like Law and Order and CSI, but I think I will leave the court room drama to Judge Judy. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barániková, ŠarlotaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Defert, DominiqueTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tremps, EnricTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Renée,
  A woman of uncommon beauty,
  A fiercely loyal friend,
  A compassionate critic,
  A doting mother,
A perfect wife.
Billy Ray Cobb was the younger and smaller of the two rednecks.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Grisham's book A Time to Kill was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,132,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible